Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thriving Hispanic population?
Boston 52 51.49%
Philadelphia 49 48.51%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 10:26 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I watched the whole video. Didn’t see anything that was really all that elusive. If anything it’s more Mexican than anywhere I’ve been in Boston.

https://youtu.be/phWLmbGEbZk

https://youtu.be/j4YtDEYN3kQ

https://youtu.be/AmuhOEOQ65U

The communal/immigrant aspect of Barbacoa is nice but of all the restaurant in Boston I doubt there’s no owner doing something similar. The most unique thing is the coloration

Better Mexican examples in Boston:
https://youtu.be/TjgrTMct_ls

https://youtu.be/Nn2rAdEKeD0

Keep in mind a Boston restaurant is not going to feel like a Philly restaurant. Different culture in general.
Well even down to the way tables are set up makes SPB quite reminiscent of the many mom and pop restaurants I have been to in Northern Mexico. When I moved to Philadelphia, I never thought I’d feel like I was back in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 10:43 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Exactly. Lots of great upscale spots in Philadelphia as well. The so-called a hole in the wall spots (aka SPB?) can do a great job of replicating “authentic” in dining experiences in other countries, especially when you have a mom and pop spot like that where the owner puts so much love and connection into the surrounding community.
Yea..many upscale and hole in the wall Latin places in Boston. I don’t see any area where Philly has an advantage in this topic. Maybe they have wealthier/higher income Latinos? Maybe??

Mostly from Philly posters it sounds as though they don’t know much about Boston and just assume there’s not much Hispanic presence. Mostly folks are just saying “Philadelphia has this and that” While not directly comparing it to Boston with any hard data and when that does happen-Boston is clearly the victor.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:48 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Yea..many upscale and hole in the wall Latin places in Boston. I don’t see any area where Philly has an advantage in this topic. Maybe they have wealthier/higher income Latinos? Maybe??

Mostly from Philly posters it sounds as though they don’t know much about Boston and just assume there’s not much Hispanic presence. Mostly folks are just saying “Philadelphia has this and that” While not directly comparing it to Boston with any hard data and when that does happen-Boston is clearly the victor.
Oh weird. I didn’t really go through the thread, but I definitely never said that lol. There’s probably lots of things people from either city don’t know about the other, to be honest. A lot of these city vs city threads get kinda silly though. I was asking if anything matched SPB in Boston because it’s such a pride of the city. I don’t really care about quantitying the “presence” of either community in the tired-out C-D fashion, though.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:51 AM

I think Boston is very fragmented and segmented. I don’t know of many (any?) restaurants anyone would say is “the pride of the city”...the most popular Boston restaurants I’ve never even heard of outside of C-D.

Philly has Hispanic culture -mostly Puerto Rican but Boston is easily more Hispanic. There’s hard data behind that.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
I think Boston is very fragmented and segmented. I don’t know of many (any?) restaurants anyone would say is “the pride of the city”...the most popular Boston restaurants I’ve never even heard of outside of C-D.

Philly has Hispanic culture -mostly Puerto Rican but Boston is easily more Hispanic. There’s hard data behind that.
Correct.

Philadelphia Metro:
Puerto Rican: 50.9
Mexican: 20.9
Dominican: 6.2

Boston Metro:
Puerto Rican: 25.9
Dominican: 24.5
Salvadoran: 9.9

Old 08-30-2020, 03:25 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Correct.

Philadelphia Metro:
Puerto Rican: 50.9
Mexican: 20.9
Dominican: 6.2

Boston Metro:
Puerto Rican: 25.9
Dominican: 24.5
Salvadoran: 9.9
Interestingly, the second largest Hispanic group in Philadelphia city proper is Dominicans. This clearly shows that the Dominican population is heavily concentrated in the city.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:20 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Re: "thriving," does Boston have anything to match Philadelphia's South Philly Barbacoa? The restaurant is thriving and serves as a tangible location in which relationships and connections are built between Philadelphia's Mexican community with the larger Philadelphia community.

The restaurant has expanded and moved into a larger building in the Italian Market since the recording of this video, but the home cooking and community building continues to thrive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22iAviDd_M0
not many mexican restaurants that i know of in bos:
boston will have to live menos for awhile: citys only taco bell ordered shut for licensing mixup

Old 08-30-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
I just posted a few. But also, there’s Taco Bell in Boston now https://locations.tacobell.com/ma/bo...er-street.html

More in the suburbs

Old 08-30-2020, 04:37 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Yea I watched the whole video. Didn’t see anything that was really all that elusive. If anything it’s more Mexican than anywhere I’ve been in Boston.

https://youtu.be/phWLmbGEbZk
i actually been to habanas several years ago. my girl and i were staying at the newly built hotel upstairs and were about to go out for the nite but downstairs had a pretty jumping merengue party so we decided not to go far. never been to cuba before but i guess it couldve been authentic.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-30-2020 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-30-2020, 04:54 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Interestingly, the second largest Hispanic group in Philadelphia city proper is Dominicans. This clearly shows that the Dominican population is heavily concentrated in the city.

I'm with you in this, I would've figured Dominican would be 2nd.

The city proper would resemble this; these are approximations from the 2010 census using a 1.8% growth for the overall hispanic population in 2020.

Mexican/Mexican Descent ≈ 8.1%
Puerto Rican ≈ 64%
Cuban ≈ 2%
Dominican ≈ 12.5%

I know from being in Norristown there's a very significant Mexican population, so I'm guessing the 20% for the Metro is coming from Norristown, Philadelphia, and perhaps Camden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City