Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
River or no river Cambridge is more seamlessly integrated into downtown Boston than most other examples of cities to their respective downtowns on this thread. As an example Cambridge is more seamlessly integrated into the fabric of Boston than Evanston for Chicago and on and on..
There is seem its called the Charles River. If you said northern Brookline blends in it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:05 PM

All I'm saying is nobody says "I wonder when I've gone from Boston to Cambridge" It's very clear. Cambridge to Somerville sure. Boston to Coolidge Corner in Brookline sure.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:09 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Pittsburgh has

Wilkinsburg, Swissvale, Mt Oliver, Dormont, Baldwin, and Homestead.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
All I'm saying is nobody says "I wonder when I've gone from Boston to Cambridge" It's very clear. Cambridge to Somerville sure. Boston to Coolidge Corner in Brookline sure.
Cambridge was listed as an example by the op for the thread topic. Of course it's clear because you know Cambridge is north of the Charles. If you didn't know Cambridge was north of the river it may not be so obvious. The two cities interact as one.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:11 PM

They do but there is still a seem

Old 12-03-2017, 09:57 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Almost all of Miami-Dade County acts like a city. The suburbs are more like neighbourhoods and its nothing but sprawl with no natural landscape in between. But then you cross 997 and all of a sudden its nothing but Everglades and Indian reservations until Naples.

Many other metro areas have the suburbs broken up by a bit of countryside. Even DFW, which is known for continuous sprawl has some countryside between suburbs like Weatherford and Denton. The I-35E corridor in DFW is more developed than the I-35W corridor that runs from Fort Worth to Denton.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:48 PM

311 posts, read 314,004 times
Bellevue and Seattle.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:16 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Still, I see Boston as being a weird city. It's not like the majority of the country where the entire urban core, plus some suburbs are part of the city. It goes back to the 1800s, when Brookline voted to remain separate from Boston. Because of this Boston did not annex any further northern suburbs other then Charlestown.

So you've got many places north of the city, Somerville, Cambridge, Malden, Medford, Cheslea, Revere, etc that are very urban and easily accessible to downtown Boston. Without looking at a map you'd think that they are part of the city. However due to historical events they are not. Then you've got some places further out in Boston like West Roxbury or Hyde Park, which are pretty suburban in nature and not at all easily accessible to downtown Boston.

Readville, the southernmost neighborhood in Boston, is 9.9 miles away from downtown Boston as the crow flies. There are 18 separate municipal city halls located closer to Boston's city Hall then Readville (Quincy, Milton, Brookline, Newton, Watertown, Waltham, Cambridge, Somerville, Arlington, Medford, Belmont, Chelsea, Revere, Everett, Malden, Melrose, Saugus, Winthrop). If Boston went on an annexing spree like most other cities in the country did it would be over double its current size. That's why its population of around 675k people is misleading, the urban core of Boston is much larger. Plus most people within 128, when they visit other states, just say that they're from Boston even though they live in dense suburb one or two municipalities removed from Boston proper.

I think that's what the OP was referring more to. Areas that aren't technically part of a city, but for most practical and non-governmental purposes are.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Bellevue and Seattle.
Except for that rather large body of water separating the two.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:42 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Almost all of Miami-Dade County acts like a city. The suburbs are more like neighbourhoods and its nothing but sprawl with no natural landscape in between. But then you cross 997 and all of a sudden its nothing but Everglades and Indian reservations until Naples.

Many other metro areas have the suburbs broken up by a bit of countryside. Even DFW, which is known for continuous sprawl has some countryside between suburbs like Weatherford and Denton. The I-35E corridor in DFW is more developed than the I-35W corridor that runs from Fort Worth to Denton.
But the change usually isn't abrupt. Aside from street signs saying the municipality, you don't really know when you hit what, since Dallas isn't just the urban core and is primarily suburban like its neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City