Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has better food?
Houston 34 30.09%
Chicago 79 69.91%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You need to get out more if you think that Houston is the most diverse city in the country. You have got to be kidding me.
I think the poster was stating that in reference to this:
Houston Surpasses New York And Los Angeles As The 'Most Diverse In Nation'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Actually, no. You're completely wrong. You didn't even know what table I was using in the first place. This table is for anybody with Mexican descent. How can the foreign born population of Chicago area be 599,000 via the Census and then some table quotes it at 775,000 from the same source as just the city? It's not - this is total Mexican population whether they were born in the US, mexico, or elsewhere.

This is table B03001 titled "HISPANIC OR LATINO ORIGIN BY SPECIFIC ORIGIN" 2013 5 year ACS.

The table which is about Foreign Born population is B05006. Completely different tables measuring different things. It lists Chicago *city* as having 258K people as being born in Mexico to Houston's 283K (the stat before too was about MSA, meaning that Chicago has more foreign born Mexicans in the suburbs than Houston's suburbs).
No, Im not. Im very much correct.

Go into the ACS fact finder demographic estimates for the 5 years. This is what it will tell you for Mexican population:

Houston MSA: 1,683,374
Chicago MSA: 1,575,452

American FactFinder - Results

Old 07-06-2015, 02:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, Im not. Im very much correct.

Go into the ACS fact finder demographic estimates for the 5 years. This is what it will tell you for Mexican population:

Houston MSA: 1,683,374
Chicago MSA: 1,575,452

American FactFinder - Results
I already listed the tables used on there. One is clearly foreign born population (which is why it has 500K less people for Chicago than the other table - why in the flying **** would foreign born be more than some other table that's still talking overall about Mexicans?).

Again, you're completely wrong and you clearly didn't read the data dictionaries on these tables. Chicago actually has more Mexicans in the city itself than Houston no matter where they were born. Houston has more foreign born Mexicans in the city itself, but Chicago has more foreign born Mexicans in the MSA. I already quoted in that post that I was talking about the city itself, which apparently you completely disregarded as you just brought up MSA numbers.

I already quoted not only the numbers, but the exact tables used. You can go on thinking you're right, but you aren't and these are the facts.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I already listed the tables used on there. One is clearly foreign born population (which is why it has 500K less people for Chicago than the other table - why in the flying **** would foreign born be more than some other table that's still talking overall about Mexicans?).

Again, you're completely wrong and you clearly didn't read the data dictionaries on these tables. Chicago actually has more Mexicans in the city itself than Houston no matter where they were born. Houston has more foreign born Mexicans in the city itself, but Chicago has more foreign born Mexicans in the MSA. I already quoted in that post that I was talking about the city itself, which apparently you completely disregarded as you just brought up MSA numbers.

I already quoted not only the numbers, but the exact tables used. You can go on thinking you're right, but you aren't and these are the facts.
Youre missing what I was saying. HOUSTON HAS MORE MEXICANS TOTAL IN THE MSA. Chicago may have more in the city and Chicago does have more foreign born Mexicans in the MSA.

I cant help it if you dont know how to use finder but I wont waste my time teaching you.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
Lol.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I was talking about the city when I quoted it, nothing more. If I didn't know how to use AFF, I wouldn't know how to get those numbers you dolt.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:04 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Well let's see, I can get a Shrimp and Grits meal with a large Sweet tea in Houston rather than Chicago.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:17 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Chicago....

I get ridden hard on here by Chicago boosters, so I'll say it, Chicago has great food. Houston has strong Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indian fare. And here I've eaten as good or better in Chicago. And these are not Chicago's strengths. Chicago is in peer with NYC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. I don't like much about Chicago, but food there is very strong. Houston cannot really compete, anyone who says otherwise hasn't spent time in both cities.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Chicago....

I get ridden hard on here by Chicago boosters, so I'll say it, Chicago has great food. Houston has strong Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indian fare. And here I've eaten as good or better in Chicago. And these are not Chicago's strengths. Chicago is in peer with NYC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. I don't like much about Chicago, but food there is very strong. Houston cannot really compete, anyone who says otherwise hasn't spent time in both cities.
Agreed except for Vietnamese and Mexican food. Houston has the edge on Mexican and has far better Vietnamese than Chicago. Also, Houston is going to have a lot better Central American cuisines like Honduran and Salvadoran. Otherwise, I think thats about right.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:17 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Agreed except for Vietnamese and Mexican food. Houston has the edge on Mexican and has far better Vietnamese than Chicago. Also, Houston is going to have a lot better Central American cuisines like Honduran and Salvadoran. Otherwise, I think thats about right.
The edge on Mexican is only slight if at all. Chicago has surprisingly very good Mexican fare. I've even had great Mexican food in her dreary suburbs.

As for Vietnamese, maybe you're right. I lived in Houston for a year and I was excited about Vietnamese food, I tried many spots around Houston, some top rated. I had really good Vietnamese food in Houston.

I never lived in Chicago, but on a occasion I had to treat some (Indian) colleagues to a meal, I decided it had to be near their hotel. We were in some suburb (I forgot now), and I pulled out Yelp and noticed a well rated Vietnamese restaurant. So I thought, how interesting of an experience would that be? I took them, and that restaurant was better than any restaurant I tried in Houston. And it was by chance. It helped I was with Indians who love to share, so besides my dish I tried theirs, basically the entire menu since there were so many of us. And everything was great. But this was one restaurant, who knows if Chicago has a big selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City