Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
In the US, NYC is my second favorite city in the US but only because US cities, on the whole, suck like god's vaccum. NYC is great, but it's all relative. It's too expensive, too crowded and too vertical. Not a lot of charm with NYC, at least Manhattan.
I disagree on the charm part and I see the appeal of NYC, but I just think it's arrogant to assume that everyone would like to live there and should live there if they want to experience an exciting city post college. NYC is hyperurban which many people love and many hate.

I would take a city like Seattle, SF, Boston or San Diego a million times over NYC. Is it because I hate NYC? No not at all. It's because for me NYC is just too expensive, too crowded, too dirty and I feel I could have much better QOL elsewhere. It's just not for me, but I have nothing but respect for the city as it is amazing and I love visiting it.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
You seem to be assuming a lot. NYC just like SF are very expensive cities to live in and your typical college grad is not making enough money to really provide a comfortable living. There is a reason why cities like Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc are booming in population. People are moving there for two reasons, jobs and COL because neither of those cities offer a great urban or exciting experience.
I actually didn't assume anything. The OP said...

1. He's a college senior (or was at the time).
2. He was considering a move to either NYC or Chicago from Florida; and
3. He would likely be making $55,000 per year in either city.

So I'm not concerned in this instance about what the typical college grad is making. My posts specifically addressed the scenario laid out in the OP.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I actually didn't assume anything. The OP said...

1. He's a college senior (or was at the time).
2. He was considering a move to either NYC or Chicago from Florida; and
3. He would likely be making $55,000 per year in either city.

So I'm not concerned in this instance about what the typical college grad is making. My posts specifically addressed the scenario laid out in the OP.
I am sorry I thought you were talking about in general as the discussions (as they always do) have shifted away from the original topic. My bad.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
I am sorry I thought you were talking about in general as the discussions (as they always do) have shifted away from the original topic. My bad.
No sweat.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM

399 posts, read 883,446 times
Quote:
That's is actually in decline. Students are graduating with a lot of debt and having a hard time finding a job. A grad degree is extremely expensive and doesn't guarantee a high paying job.

I work at a marketing agency, a very famous and global one and one of the top players of the industry. I would say that 80% of the people here do not have an advanced degree nor are they seeking to get one. Why? Because it's so darn expensive and for the most part is not a guarantee to a better position.

You seem to be assuming a lot. NYC just like SF are very expensive cities to live in and your typical college grad is not making enough money to really provide a comfortable living. There is a reason why cities like Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc are booming in population. People are moving there for two reasons, jobs and COL because neither of those cities offer a great urban or exciting experience.

Hard to argue with this.

Its true.

Consider the times. You get a great urban experience in Chicago and your dollar goes much further.

NYC IMO sets the world standard, so if youre "only" second best, thats still pretty good, and half the dime at that.

If I could afford it, you can be damn sure id be living back in NYC. Or maybe SF. Probably go with something new actually.

Most friends I know in the city have roommates. Thats not a life I want when I hit my 30s. Just how it is.

If I can get "similar" lifestyle and my own place in Chicago, why the hell not?

You dont go shopping to pay full price. I want my sales and discounts.

Last edited by JMT; 10-11-2013 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate language.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Hard to argue with this.

Its true.

Consider the times. You get a great urban experience in Chicago and your dollar goes much further.

NYC IMO sets the world standard, so if youre "only" second best, thats still pretty good, and half the dime at that.

If I could afford it, you can be damn sure id be living back in NYC. Or maybe SF. Probably go with something new actually.

Most friends I know in the city have roommates. Thats not a life I want when I hit my 30s. Just how it is.

If I can get "similar" lifestyle and my own place in Chicago, why the hell not? We dont go shopping to pay full price.
Right. I am 28 and ever since the age 24 I have lived in a one bedroom in a real nice neighborhood in Chicago even when I was making less than $40k! I was still able to go out on vacation, go out every weekend and party and have a fantastic time. I would have hated to see what my life would have been like in NYC with $40k under a year.

If anything I think in Chicago you get to enjoy a lot more cause for the most part everything is more affordable. Going to the bars and partying in Chicago is a lot more affordable than in NYC. Again, if you can make it perfectly well finanically in NYC go for it. But most college grads don't have that luxury, especially in an economy like this one.

Last edited by JMT; 10-11-2013 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 PM

399 posts, read 883,446 times
NYC is still going to be a draw for grads but its hard as ever to get solid footing in comparison to other cities.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM

555 posts, read 592,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
In the US, NYC is my second favorite city in the US but only because US cities, on the whole, suck like god's vaccum. NYC is great, but it's all relative. It's too expensive, too crowded and too vertical. Not a lot of charm with NYC, at least Manhattan.

In the US Chicago is my sixth favorite city. It has too much crime, too much sprawl and utterly provincial, boring culture. If I was looking for these qualities there are plenty of smaller cities in the US that offer just that for fraction of money and in much better climate.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
NYC is still going to be a draw for grads but its hard as ever to get solid footing in comparison to other cities.
Of course and I totally agree that NYC is where you go to make it, but it just comes with a price and a lifestyle that is not for everyone (like anywhere else).

Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM

669 posts, read 917,045 times
Quote:
But do people living in Chicago incessantly and obsessively remind themselves everytime they do something that.... "this is cheaper but second best"?

Does anyone care about these things outside of a small internet forum geared towards city stat freaks and meaningless polls?

IMO, the Italian food in NYC is "second best" compared to where I come from Upstate. Its all subjective.
Yes, because people enjoying quality time in NYC are sure worried about how they could be spending a cheap time in Chicago. They choose the city to live in so they are obviously aware what the cost of things is like. And according to their population a lot more care about than quality of life rather than getting it by cheap.

Of course it's subjective. Everything is subjective. One could claim a Houston and Dallas offers a much better quality of life than Chicago and that nobody would be able to dismiss it as not being a fact. Still doesn't change the fact more people prefer a city over another on things. And trying to dismiss the whole thing by saying it's only on "small Internet forums" because Chicago can't win this fight with numbers is not about to change that. Obviously it is a bigger number than Chicago in real life too.

Quote:
I dont know about you, but I dont know many 22 year olds today that have the financial mobility to make these decisions.

Its no coincidence cheaper cities are also the fastest growing, especially among young people. Cost is huge factor today, more than ever.

Frankly, when I am anywhere that isnt NYC, the last thing on my damn mind is NYC and how it compares. When I was young and naive, I was like that. Then over time I realized, it really doesnt matter.
It is not about actually being 22 year old, it is about being young at heart. A lot of 22 year olds are a bunch of couch potatoes who does nothing but sit at home all day. While a lot of 42 year olds are living more exciting lives than most people in their 20s. We are talking about living in a city, not being a professional Olympic runner here. If you are young at heart you should be able to handle NYC at any age unless maybe your elderly.

Cities aren't growing now because they are cheap, it's growing because of job creation. The reason cities like Houston and Dallas are attracting so many people is because of job creation not because they are so cheap to live. You don't you mention growth for Chicago then? It was one of the slowest growing cities. Even lost population metro wise. Why is the exact opposite thing happing to it if cities are growing in general because they are cheap?

Last edited by JMT; 10-11-2013 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City