Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

If you have friends and family in NYC that might be a big help in getting adjusting to a new large city. If possible, could you visit NYC for a few days and have your friends take your around so you can see how much you like it?

The biggest COL difference between the two cities is housing cost. If you're okay with living like a college student (cramped apartment shared with a few other housemates) then you'll be fine on a $55k salary. If you're pickier about your creature comforts, Chicago might be a better choice but as Bajan said, you might only be living there for a few years anyway.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you have friends and family in NYC that might be a big help in getting adjusting to a new large city. If possible, could you visit NYC for a few days and have your friends take your around so you can see how much you like it?

The biggest COL difference between the two cities is housing cost. If you're okay with living like a college student (cramped apartment shared with a few other housemates) then you'll be fine on a $55k salary. If you're pickier about your creature comforts, Chicago might be a better choice but as Bajan said, you might only be living there for a few years anyway.
a few days are not gon do anyth
i been to nyc/nj like 5 times for like a week each b4 i moved to the area
u have to live here for months b4 u get a real idea of the big picture

Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM

241 posts, read 465,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I've been to NYC many many times, like I said because of the family being there. If I dont visit Chicago for the first time this winter, I'll probably go to NYC again.

I guess its just what I want to have. Chicago will offer me a nicer place for a lower price. This will let me have more to put into savings, spending money, etc. Plus, from what I hear, Chicago is a little cleaner.

NYC will offer me the comfort of having friends and family around to help me adjust to post college life in a huge, new city. Thats certainly something that cant be dismissed, but the idea of having so much more disposable income in a nicer apartment is a big thing too.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,359 times
NYC is a phenomenal place, and my favorite place to VISIT. But living there is hard for many people, myself included. COL and friendly people is Chicago's forte.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 AM

241 posts, read 465,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
NYC is a phenomenal place, and my favorite place to VISIT. But living there is hard for many people, myself included. COL and friendly people is Chicago's forte.

Thanks for the input, thats what I'm hearing a lot of it seems. Obviously, being alone in a new big city, I'm looking for friendliness, both for friends and romantic interests. And for COL, I just find it so strange that a great world class city like chicago would be so much cheaper than NYC, but I keep seeing and reading things that do in fact confirm that.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Thanks for the input, thats what I'm hearing a lot of it seems. Obviously, being alone in a new big city, I'm looking for friendliness, both for friends and romantic interests. And for COL, I just find it so strange that a great world class city like chicago would be so much cheaper than NYC, but I keep seeing and reading things that do in fact confirm that.
Based on cost of housing alone my vote goes to Chicago. No doubt. Everything else to New York.
New Yorkers, including transplants are much friendlier than Chicagoans which seem to be very cliquish, there is plenty of people from around the world in New York while Chicago mostly attracts other Midwesterners who stick together based on the school they went to.
Also, keep in mind that New York offers much more career wise.
You got to figure out your objectives: do you want yo survive on your 50K job or advance? Advancing in New York may be much easier.... After all it is a number one business's center in the us.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Based on cost of housing alone my vote goes to Chicago. No doubt. Everything else to New York.
New Yorkers, including transplants are much friendlier than Chicagoans which seem to be very cliquish, there is plenty of people from around the world in New York while Chicago mostly attracts other Midwesterners who stick together based on the school they went to.
You got to figure out your objectives: do you want yo survive on your 50K job or advance? Advancing in New York may be much easier.... After all it is a number one business's center in the us.
Having lived in both Chicago and New York, I find this to be far from accurate based on my experience.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:32 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
This is absolutely incorrect, at least the line about Chicagoan's being cliquish. Yes, in a city of 2.8M and metro of 9M+, everyone hangs out with their college/school friends.

Wow, just wow. Have you ever been to Chicago or do you live an an insulated world?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM

465 posts, read 872,850 times
My opinion is that Chicago isn't that great for what you get.

NYC is expensive but is (arguably) the greatest city in the world. You pay a lot but get a lot.

Chicago is still pretty expensive (but much less so) and you're in the Midwest, which isn't exactly the most appealing location. You pay a lot, and don't get too much. You still need a car; you're still stuck in a not particularly cosmopolitan part of the world.

Both cities are big, obviously, and aren't known for being particularly nice or particularly rude. The "big city = rude" stereotype is silly and not really in evidence in either city. People are people.

One major difference is that most Chicagoans are from the Midwest, while New Yorkers tend to be from everywhere. If you go to a place like Lincoln Park or Lakeview, everyone seems to be from Big 10 schools, and it has a frat-type feel. You don't get this really anywhere in NYC, not even in preppy type areas like Murray Hill or Hoboken.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
My opinion is that Chicago isn't that great for what you get.

NYC is expensive but is (arguably) the greatest city in the world. You pay a lot but get a lot.

Chicago is still pretty expensive (but much less so) and you're in the Midwest, which isn't exactly the most appealing location. You pay a lot, and don't get too much. You still need a car; you're still stuck in a not particularly cosmopolitan part of the world.

Both cities are big, obviously, and aren't known for being particularly nice or particularly rude. The "big city = rude" stereotype is silly and not really in evidence in either city. People are people.

One major difference is that most Chicagoans are from the Midwest, while New Yorkers tend to be from everywhere. If you go to a place like Lincoln Park or Lakeview, everyone seems to be from Big 10 schools, and it has a frat-type feel. You don't get this really anywhere in NYC, not even in preppy type areas like Murray Hill or Hoboken.
You went through all the trouble of creating a new email account so you can create a new account here (assuming you've been banned at least a few times), just to type out this moronic post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City