Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,953 times

Advertisements

NYC downsides:

MICE
TINY APARTMENTS
INSANE TAXES
OVERRATED
WORST PLACE TO DATE EVER
EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE
MILLIONS OF SCAM JOBS
RUDEST PEOPLE EVER

UPSIDES:

DIVERSITY
LOTS OF THINGS TO DO (WHICH YOU NEED MONEY TO DO)
GREAT FOOD
AMAZING FASHION

Ive lived in NYC for 2 years. Yes, there is a lot of employment opportunity. And yes, 50% of these jobs are pure scams and you will work for a month and not even receive compensation. It is truly a cut throat city. I went through 9 JOBS in 12 months trying to secure a REAL job (I have a BS and 5 years of work experience).

NYC is HIGHLY expensive, HIGHLY competitive, and HIGHLY overrated. If you move here, move here with a job, without a car, and with a lot of money. Also, move with low expectations bc your apartment will be the size of a closet and at least once a year you will experience a mice problem.

This is an incredible, amazing, awesome place to visit, and a nightmare to live.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 AM

399 posts, read 883,122 times
Chicago is in the Midwest, so it cant be cosmopolitan.

Or something.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
But I have to also be fair and honest and say the original poster of this discussion thread will be much much much happier in Chicago, NOT in New York. He already emphasized his preference for comfortable living, cleanliness, and disposable income. These represent the practicality of Midwest common sense, not East Coast craze. I STRONGLY recommend for the author of this thread to choose Chicago over New York and leave it to my love for New York being tied to my preferences and values being different from the author's.

Bingo.

In Chicago, you have much much more at your disposal on an average salary. Its also much cleaner and much more manageable and comfortable.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM

7 posts, read 9,905 times
I've lived in both. In NYC, you get what you pay for and you're paying for opportunities and accessibility basically. Its is more efficient and cutting edge than Chicago. It is true that you will get a lot in NYC but you are going to pay more than an arm and a leg for it. There just isn't any in between in NYC. I think the people in Chicago are a lot more approachable than NYC. New Yorkers are mean on the outside and pussycats on the inside. They really have to really warm up to you more than the people in Chicago. But if you are looking for a city that is constantly finding many ways to reinvent itself to accommodate it population go with NYC. If you just want to be comfortable and enjoy big city amenities with a less superficial crowd go with Chicago.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
On July 19, the Honest Tea company conducted an Honest Cities social experiment—it placed unmanned beverage kiosks in 12 American cities. There was a box for people to slip a dollar in, but there were no consequences if they did not pay.

Chicago was the most honest city, with 99 percent of people still paying a dollar. New York was the least honest city—only 86 percent coughed up the buck.

Honest Tea Declares Chicago Most Honest City, New York Least Honest

Old 09-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Lets remind ourselves which city has Wall Street.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times
The thread is nearly a year old, but since it's been revived, and on the off chance the OP hasn't made a decision yet, I'll answer anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
I'm a college student looking to move to one of these cities after graduation. I have friends and family in NYC, so that will weigh into my decision quite a bit, but considering I have lived the suburban life since I was very young, I thought maybe Chicago may be a less overwhelming option. I'm certainly looking for a change to a city environment, and to be honest, I think either will provide me the change that I'm looking for. Some people say Chicago cant compare as far as things to do with NYC, but for someone coming from living in Florida all their life, anything will be a huge step up.

As a recent grad I'll have some concerns regarding the COL. I'll only be making about $55k/year no matter where I live. The job I'm expecting doesn't adjust more than a thousand or so no matter where an individual lives. From what I've read and seen on various calculators, NYC is much more expensive than Chicago. One from CNN equated $50,000 in Chicago to $79,000 in Brooklyn, and $95,000 in Manhattan. Is Chicago really this much cheaper? I would pay a little bit of a premium to be around friends and family, and to be within distance to my sports teams, but if the difference is that great it would be illogical for me to do so.

One more thing, I've also heard that people are much friendlier in Chicago, from people looking to be friends to approachability of women to date. I've been told it has to do partially with the fact that Chicago is a little slower of a city. I know this is obviously a very subjective thing, but anyone who's lived in both cities for any time can probably comment on it.

Any input is welcome guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Both jobs would be for the most part identical. Its an international company, they have offices everywhere, and are usually very accommodating with office location selection. Within the company, advancement is pretty structured. As far as exit opps, as long as your in a huge city that is a financial hub, there really shouldnt be much of a difference. Hence, I'm trying to base my decision on how much cheaper Chicago is, and how much friendlier the people may be.
From everything that you've stated it seems that Chicago is the way to go. It's not as big or as diverse as NYC, but it will succeed in the areas that are important to you.

Chicago is the third largest city in America, but it is also one of the cheapest major cities in the country at the same time. Your money would go a lot further here, and you'll still have plenty to do. Chicago is going to look like another world compared to Florida due to its size, but, at the same time, it's only about a 1/3 of the size as NYC, which means it should hopefully be more manageable for you. Also, it should be noted that Chicago is the second most important financial center in the country after New York, and, since you said your job is related to finance, that can only stand to benefit you if you're looking to save money.

As for the friendliness of Chicagoans, I've always found this to be relative. Many Midwesterners think Chicago is full of nothing but rude people, but people from other parts of the country don't usually agree. For example, my brother and his wife, who both live in LA and have only ever visited Chicago, always comment on how friendly Chicagoans are by comparison to people from LA. It's all going to depend on who you ask. I will say though that Chicago is friendly to transplants, and that you shouldn't have a problem meeting new people. I certainly didn't when I moved here from the St. Louis area, and I came from a part of the country that thinks Chicagoans are rude.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
On July 19, the Honest Tea company conducted an Honest Cities social experiment—it placed unmanned beverage kiosks in 12 American cities. There was a box for people to slip a dollar in, but there were no consequences if they did not pay.

Chicago was the most honest city, with 99 percent of people still paying a dollar. New York was the least honest city—only 86 percent coughed up the buck.

Honest Tea Declares Chicago Most Honest City, New York Least Honest
I thought the least honest city would be lower than that. 86 out of 100 people is pretty high IMO. "Least honest" in this case doesn't seem to mean "not at all honest", you know?

Besides, honesty and friendliness aren't the same thing. Cool link either way, though.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM

555 posts, read 592,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The thread is nearly a year old, but since it's been revived, and on the off chance the OP hasn't made a decision yet, I'll answer anyway.

From everything that you've stated it seems that Chicago is the way to go. It's not as big or as diverse as NYC, but it will succeed in the areas that are important to you.

Chicago is the third largest city in America, but it is also one of the cheapest major cities in the country at the same time. Your money would go a lot further here, and you'll still have plenty to do. Chicago is going to look like another world compared to Florida due to its size, but, at the same time, it's only about a 1/3 of the size as NYC, which means it should hopefully be more manageable for you. Also, it should be noted that Chicago is the second most important financial center in the country after New York, and, since you said your job is related to finance, that can only stand to benefit you if you're looking to save money.

As for the friendliness of Chicagoans, I've always found this to be relative. Many Midwesterners think Chicago is full of nothing but rude people, but people from other parts of the country don't usually agree. For example, my brother and his wife, who both live in LA and have only ever visited Chicago, always comment on how friendly Chicagoans are by comparison to people from LA. It's all going to depend on who you ask. I will say though that Chicago is friendly to transplants, and that you shouldn't have a problem meeting new people. I certainly didn't when I moved here from the St. Louis area, and I came from a part of the country that thinks Chicagoans are rude.
You mistook politeness for friendliness. Chicagoans are polite but reserved, New Yorkers pay less attention to customary pleasantries but are friendlier and warmer. Friendliness is not a the opposite of rudeness. Politeness is. Friendliness is something totally different and from my experience New Yorkers with category with every big city in the US.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Chicago is the third largest city in America, but it is also one of the cheapest major cities in the country at the same time. Your money would go a lot further here, and you'll still have plenty to do. .
People always say this, but it actually isn't true. Because pay is lower in Chicago, the relative housing burden in the two cities is basically the same.

In short, rent is higher in NYC, but salaries are higher, and the overall housing burden (% of income paid to rent) is almost the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City