Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Chicago and New York can both be very friendly.

The only difference in my opinion is that in New York it is mostly native New Yorkers that are friendly. People that are actually from New York City are very friendly and I love them. The transplants however are the ones who give the city a bad name, mostly ones from Jersey, Long Island, and the surrounding Northeastern cities and West Coast transplants as well. They generally do their best to 'fit in' to what they perceive to be a snobby, brash, unfriendly urban culture that in my opinion doesn't really exist in those who really truly know New York.

Native Chicagoans, like native New Yorkers, are very friendly but the transplants are a lot of people from the Midwest and South with Midwest and Southern hospitality, so while there are certainly jerks in Chicago, I think the transplants are generally friendlier there.

In terms of expense, there are great deals to be had in New York. In terms of Manhattan and Brooklyn, rent is pretty much non-negotiable. It is very expensive to live and do almost everything there. But you can get very cheap street food and ethnic food there ( that likely won't be good for your digestive system though!) and while groceries and everything else are more expensive, salaries can be higher too. Generally, Chicago is cheaper and you get more for your buck. Only on City Data will you find a few people arguing that New York is cheaper and more affordable than Chicago (as ridiculous as that sounds). While Chicago isn't as good of a city as New York, it is cheaper and you get much more space for much less money.
Define good? It comes down to personal preferance too. For me I like large cities, but Goldilocks cities, cities that aren't too big or too small and are global and diverse enough. I rather live in a place like Chicago, Toronto, Santiago, Barcelona, Melbourne, Sydney than places like NYC, Tokyo, Mexico City, Sao Paulo or London. No disrespect to those cities, but I feel my standard of living would decline significantly if I moved from Chicago to NYC or from Barcelona to London or from Melbourne to Tokyo.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:49 PM

555 posts, read 592,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
NYC doesnt have college basketball tournies at MSG or the Pinstripe Bowl, etc.? Sure, NYC is a pro sports town outright, but college sports are still prevalent. Syracuse has been marketed as NYC's team for a few years now.

Theres St Johns and Rutgers as well. College football games at Yankee Stadium and MetLife.

Turn on MSGNetwork, youll find tons of college sports coverage on there.

Just like NYC's friendliness huh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Lets ask Sean Bell and other countless racially profiled blacks from NYPD how "friendly" NYC is.

Stop acting as if NYC is a complete 180 and this grand interracial utopia to Chicago.

NYC ranks 3rd here, Chicago ranks 5th. Theyre both segregated. NYC is just on a larger scale.

America's 10 Most Segregated Cities

Someone unplug this guy's internet please?
Compared to Chicago New York is much less segregated. And no, NYC is not really crazy about college sports despite an ad on a cab and programming on MSG. LOL

Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You don't go to Chicago for college football games either--it's the transplants who do so. And Manhattan is full of transplant bars and lounges. Ever been to Whiskeytown? One of the dozens if not hundreds of fratty bro bars that are in the city. How about the wonderful bridge and tunnel crowd and the Jersey Shore type? Is that much better? Wonderful that they've discovered Williamsburg in recent years. Really wonderful.

It's a minuscule portion of either city that is artsy, intellectual, open-minded, refined, cultured, and friendly (this one doesn't seem to fit in with the others; along with open-minded in some facets) and it's easy to take one's own social bubble to be representative of the city as a whole. And while NYC does have a lot more of the type in numbers, Chicago isn't particularly lacking in it considering the size difference.

This isn't peacemaking so much as poking fun at the short bus. I guess it's unethical.
It may be a minuscule portion of Chicago but it is no way a miniscule portion of New York City life. That's why many people spend so much to live in the city as the intellectual and artistic elite rules Manhattan, desirable areas of Brooklyn and the best parts of outer boros and even Jersey City.

It's not just a size difference, NYC is superstrong on arts, culture and media, it has thousands of jobs in creative industries that are virtually non-existent in Chicago.

Anyways, as a result the general vibe of New York is very different than Chicago's. Much less frat boy, much more ivy league and much more friendlier.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
It may be a minuscule portion of Chicago but it is no way a miniscule portion of New York City life. That's why many people spend so much to live in the city as the intellectual and artistic elite rules Manhattan, desirable areas of Brooklyn and the best parts of outer boros and even Jersey City.

It's not just a size difference, NYC is superstrong on arts, culture and media, it has thousands of jobs in creative industries that are virtually non-existent in Chicago.

Anyways, as a result the general vibe of New York is very different than Chicago's. Much less frat boy, much more ivy league and much more friendlier.
Haha. Aren't those preppy boys that go to ivies tend to be fratty too?

Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM

669 posts, read 916,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Haha. Aren't those preppy boys that go to ivies tend to be fratty too?
Pretty sure majority of people have to be the straight A honors student type to have a chance of getting into Ivy league colleges.

Last edited by yyuusr; 10-01-2013 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 03:35 PM

399 posts, read 883,122 times
Quote:
Compared to Chicago New York is much less segregated. And no, NYC is not really crazy about college sports despite an ad on a cab and programming on MSG. LOL

Did you not read the link that provided methodology and showing NYC is more segregated than Chicago?

The internet for flotard is like a karaoke mic. Guy just keeps embarrassing himself over and over with each post.

You have 68 reps and almost 400 posts. Thats ****ing terrible.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Did you not read the link that ranked NYC higher than Chicago?

The internet for flotard is like a karaoke mic. Guy just keeps embarrassing himself over and over with each post.

You have 68 reps and almost 400 posts. Thats ****ing terrible.
Look who's talking lol

I have been to Chicago. In Chicago there is a clearcut line betwen the black - south and white - north side of Chicago. New York has many neighborhoods that are truly multicultural and multiracial, most of segregation is not racial but based on income.
Since you've never been to New York you have to take my word for it. LOL

Last edited by flotard; 10-01-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Young artists: Don't move to NYC

NYC is the center for media, and thats the main draw. There are many other cities with a better means for creativity because they simply cost much less, and art thrives on cheap.

When was the biggest creative and cultural period in NYC? And then ask yourself why.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Look whos talking lol

I have been to Chicago. In Chicago there is a clearcut line betwen the black - south and white - north side of Chicago. New York has many neighborhoods that are truly multicultural and multiracial, most of segregation is not racial but based on income.
Since you've never been to New York you have to take my word for it. LOL

Im from NY and have lived there.

Who is paying you to pretend to be from NYC and spent so much time on bashing Chicago?

Answer that question. Ive asked you three times now. If you dont, ill just take it as you admitting to trolling and nothing more.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Im from NY and have lived there.

Who is paying you to pretend to be from NYC and spent so much time on bashing Chicago?

Answer that question. Ive asked you three times now. If you dont, ill just take it as you admitting to trolling and nothing more.
As far as I know you're from Buffalo. What do you know about NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City