Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You don't go to Chicago for college football games either--it's the transplants who do so. And Manhattan is full of transplant bars and lounges. Ever been to Whiskeytown? One of the dozens if not hundreds of fratty bro bars that are in the city. How about the wonderful bridge and tunnel crowd and the Jersey Shore type? Is that much better? Wonderful that they've discovered Williamsburg in recent years. Really wonderful.

It's a minuscule portion of either city that is artsy, intellectual, open-minded, refined, cultured, and friendly (this one doesn't seem to fit in with the others; along with open-minded in some facets) and it's easy to take one's own social bubble to be representative of the city as a whole. And while NYC does have a lot more of the type in numbers, Chicago isn't particularly lacking in it considering the size difference.

This isn't peacemaking so much as poking fun at the short bus. I guess it's unethical.
Not like Chicago, the college sports bar scene in Chicago is FAR larger, as is the relative interest in sports in general on a per person basis. NYC definitely has it's problems also. I think it is indeed a bigger part of Chicago than it is in NYC, it's in many of the core desirable neighborhoods.

Actually, you can somewhat say NYC has a far higher percentage of workers in the artistic fields than Chicago by about 3:1 (another thread) But other cities are higher than NYC (i.e. Portland.) And LA is even more "arty" at least, than NYC. This is obvious in the industries that are huge presence in NYC, art world, media, film, publishing, fashion, broadway, etc. It's about as close to a quantitative analysis as you can get, but the vibe in NYC is also substantially different. The whole art/intellectual scene in NYC is far larger (more so than just the size of the city would tell you) than in Chicago, it definitely exists in Chicago though. By no means is Chicago a backwater in this regard though.

Last edited by grapico; 10-01-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That article is about the company's value. NYSE is the biggest exchange in the world, with the market cap of over $14 trillion.

List of stock exchanges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazing how an EXCHANGE can somehow claim ownership of member companies.

I nominate this for the Coastal Salt-Sniffing Deranged Post of the year........

Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times
[quote=flotard;31626076]Did the Economist say that the growth of CME or Chicago being the second largest financial center makes Chicago culturally more similar to New York than St. Louis ? Does CME magically removes Chicago from Midwest and changes Chicago's culture and attitude?/QUOTE]

Why would we want to be "removed" from the Midwest? or be "more culturally similar" to New York? Those would be the last things that would benefit Chicago.

Chicago is Chicago and despite your ......not sure how to word it....your "condition"

It will never stop doing what Chicago does....ie... (new SH*T)

Deal with it.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM

399 posts, read 883,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
So you just come to this thread and all of a sudden accuse other posters of trolling? Isn't that like a serious violation of TOS here?

And no, while in Chicago frat boy culture of big ten is omnipresent, in New York is almost unseen.
New York is not a big college sports town, you don't go to nyu to spend time at football games, you know? Lol

Once more, in my opinion based on time spent in both Chicago and NYC, NYC is much more artsy, intellectual, open-minded, refined, cultured and friendly than Chicago. Don't forget less racially segregated, because when you're black "Chicago's friendliness" takes on a totally different meaning.

Now, don't you have other threads that you can just jump in and play the peacemaker?

NYC doesnt have college basketball tournies at MSG or the Pinstripe Bowl, etc.? Sure, NYC is a pro sports town outright, but college sports are still prevalent. Syracuse has been marketed as NYC's team for a few years now.

Theres St Johns and Rutgers as well. College football games at Yankee Stadium and MetLife.

Turn on MSGNetwork, youll find tons of college sports coverage on there.

Just like NYC's friendliness huh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Quote:
Some blacks say they are leaving not only to find jobs, but also because they have soured on race relations.
Candace Wilkins, 27, of St. Albans, who remains unemployed despite having a business degree, plans to move to Charlotte, N.C.
She said her decision was prompted by an altercation with the police.
In March 2010, witnesses say, Ms. Wilkins was thrown against a car by a white police officer after she tried to help a black neighbor who was being questioned. She was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, according to the Queens district attorney’s office.
Ms. Wilkins disputes the charges, which are pending, and has filed a complaint against the police. A police spokeswoman said the department was investigating her complaint.
“Life has gone full circle,” said Ms. Wilkins, whose grandmother was born amid the cotton fields of North Carolina and moved to Queens in the 1950s.
“My grandmother’s generation left the South and came to the North to escape segregation and racism,” she said. “Now, I am going back because New York has become like the old South in its racial attitudes.”
Lets ask Sean Bell and other countless racially profiled blacks from NYPD how "friendly" NYC is.

Stop acting as if NYC is a complete 180 and this grand interracial utopia to Chicago.

NYC ranks 3rd here, Chicago ranks 5th. Theyre both segregated. NYC is just on a larger scale.

America's 10 Most Segregated Cities

Someone unplug this guy's internet please?

Last edited by ChicagoorSeattle; 10-01-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 11:21 AM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not like Chicago, the college sports bar scene in Chicago is FAR larger, as is the relative interest in sports in general on a per person basis. NYC definitely has it's problems also. I think it is indeed a bigger part of Chicago than it is in NYC, it's in many of the core desirable neighborhoods.

Actually, you can somewhat say NYC has a far higher percentage of workers in the artistic fields than Chicago by about 3:1 (another thread) But other cities are higher than NYC (i.e. Portland.) And LA is even more "arty" at least, than NYC. This is obvious in the industries that are huge presence in NYC, art world, media, film, publishing, fashion, broadway, etc. It's about as close to a quantitative analysis as you can get, but the vibe in NYC is also substantially different. The whole art/intellectual scene in NYC is far larger (more so than just the size of the city would tell you) than in Chicago, it definitely exists in Chicago though. By no means is Chicago a backwater in this regard though.
Yea, I can agree with rough overall trends where one city has a higher percentage of this or that than the other. The part that doesn't make sense is when those trends are blown out of proportion to act as if they constitute all orthe vast majority of a city. Chicago is much smaller than NYC, but it's still massive, diverse and cosmopolitan--just less so than NYC. Frat boys and bro bars are a-plenty in both cities (and unfortunately seems to have increased in NYC in the last few years) though not predominant in either (this would have to include counting a lot of minorities and immigrants as people which I think is a pretty sound assumption)--and despite the greater proportion of them in Chicago, it is far from the dominating or only culture there.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Again, who is paying you to pretend to be from NYC and spend countless hours downtalking Chicago?

NYC is without question the better city, so really, what else is there for you to campaign about?

Reminding everyone that water is wet? Start a thread about grass being green.

Real admirable positions youre taking.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Once more, in my opinion based on time spent in both Chicago and NYC, NYC is much more artsy, intellectual, open-minded, refined, cultured and friendly than Chicago. Don't forget less racially segregated, because when you're black "Chicago's friendliness" takes on a totally different meaning.

I agree, NYC blows Chicago outta the water when it comes to......... targeting blacks.

NYPD officers testify stop-and-frisk policy driven by quota system and race | World news | theguardian.com

Quote:
Officer secretly recorded conversation with his supervisor in which he is apparently told to target 'male blacks 14 to 21'

NYC is just utopia for black people.

Quote:
The New York police department's controversial stop-and-frisk program is being driven by a high-pressure quota system imposed upon lower-ranking officers by their supervisors, two NYPD officers testified in court this week.
The claims were made as part of a landmark class action lawsuit that began Monday. The suit seeks to prove that the nation's largest police department has demonstrated a widespread and systemic pattern of unconstitutional stops that disproportionately target minorities.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM

The 10 most segregated US cities visualized with GIS | desktop explorer

Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,802,046 times
Chicago and New York can both be very friendly.

The only difference in my opinion is that in New York it is mostly native New Yorkers that are friendly. People that are actually from New York City are very friendly and I love them. The transplants however are the ones who give the city a bad name, mostly ones from Jersey, Long Island, and the surrounding Northeastern cities and West Coast transplants as well. They generally do their best to 'fit in' to what they perceive to be a snobby, brash, unfriendly urban culture that in my opinion doesn't really exist in those who really truly know New York.

Native Chicagoans, like native New Yorkers, are very friendly but the transplants are a lot of people from the Midwest and South with Midwest and Southern hospitality, so while there are certainly jerks in Chicago, I think the transplants are generally friendlier there.

In terms of expense, there are great deals to be had in New York. In terms of Manhattan and Brooklyn, rent is pretty much non-negotiable. It is very expensive to live and do almost everything there. But you can get very cheap street food and ethnic food there ( that likely won't be good for your digestive system though!) and while groceries and everything else are more expensive, salaries can be higher too. Generally, Chicago is cheaper and you get more for your buck. Only on City Data will you find a few people arguing that New York is cheaper and more affordable than Chicago (as ridiculous as that sounds). While Chicago isn't as good of a city as New York, it is cheaper and you get much more space for much less money.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 PM

555 posts, read 592,395 times
[quote=midwest1;31629932]
Quote:
Did the Economist say that the growth of CME or Chicago being the second largest financial center makes Chicago culturally more similar to New York than St. Louis ? Does CME magically removes Chicago from Midwest and changes Chicago's culture and attitude?/QUOTE]

Why would we want to be "removed" from the Midwest? or be "more culturally similar" to New York? Those would be the last things that would benefit Chicago.

Chicago is Chicago and despite your ......not sure how to word it....your "condition"

It will never stop doing what Chicago does....ie... (new SH*T)

Deal with it.
Then stop claiming that you are more similar to New York than to st. Louis like the other poster did.
Chicago is in Midwest and the general attitude and mentality of its residents resembles the attitudes or residents of other Midwestern cities.

My condition is by the way call "BS-intollerant" hence my frequent responses to delusional claims by Chicago posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City