Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM

399 posts, read 883,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
As far as I know you're from Buffalo. What do you know about NYC?
Any proof to back that up?

Old 10-01-2013, 03:52 PM

555 posts, read 592,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Young artists: Don't move to NYC

NYC is the center for media, and thats the main draw. There are many other cities with a better means for creativity because they simply cost much less, and art thrives on cheap.

When was the biggest creative and cultural period in NYC? And then ask yourself why.
Yet again you chose to expose your ignorance lol. When you're creative you move where the market / employment is and not where the rent is cheap. lol
And the biggest cultural period in New York is right now.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
It may be a minuscule portion of Chicago but it is no way a miniscule portion of New York City life. That's why many people spend so much to live in the city as the intellectual and artistic elite rules Manhattan, desirable areas of Brooklyn and the best parts of outer boros and even Jersey City.

It's not just a size difference, NYC is superstrong on arts, culture and media, it has thousands of jobs in creative industries that are virtually non-existent in Chicago.

Anyways, as a result the general vibe of New York is very different than Chicago's. Much less frat boy, much more ivy league and much more friendlier.
It is a minuscule part in comparison to the sheer mass of the city and the metro. There is an echo chamber that people inhabit with pretty little awareness of what the vast majority of NYC actually is. Now do they rule it in terms of having a lot of influence both economically and culturally? Absolutely, but it doesn't play out that much in the day to day for most people.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It is a minuscule part in comparison to the sheer mass of the city and the metro. There is an echo chamber that people inhabit with pretty little awareness of what the vast majority of NYC actually is. Now do they rule it in terms of having a lot of influence both economically and culturally? Absolutely, but it doesn't play out that much in the day to day for most people.
Most people where? Williamsburgh? Chelsea? Tribeca? LOL Do you think Manhattan is mostly inhabited by plumbers and electicians? LOL
It is what it is just because of the influence of the artsy and intellectual. Nothing else. Why do you have to go for the lowest common denominator?

Last edited by flotard; 10-01-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Still waiting on that proof about Buffalo flotard...... "LOL"

Hows pretending to be from NYC going for you?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM

669 posts, read 917,846 times
Quote:

I didn't realize Broward County, Florida was now a part of NYC....

Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post

It didnt occur to you that current location and where you are from can be two different things?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,545,650 times
Quote:
Any proof to back that up?

That was easy ..just saying..

Upstate NYer wanting to move to Seattle!

"I realize that I visited Seattle at the time that its best (summer), and absolutely fell in love with it. Im wondering what the weather is comparable to in the other months however. Just how bad is it?

Im from Upstate NY, and you will be surprised to find out at the cloud cover is roughly the same as you guys. In fact, I think Syracuse and the Central NY region is a tad cloudier to be honest. We live just east of the Great Lakes, and those are HAVENS for moisture and clouds that it drops directly on us.

Winters here average 100 inches of snow, thats 100 inches (in cities like Syracuse, Buffalo, etc.) Lake Effect Snowfall. Its everyday. It just appears out of nowhere like a cloudy that follows a cartoon character. For 3 months. The sun comes out probably 4 times a month. Im not joking. "
"So do you think this Upstater would have an issue with Seattle weather? Thanks guys."

Maybe this is why you think Chicago and NYC winters are the same, b/c you are associating upstate NY with NYC? Indeed, great lakes and upstate NY cities are more similar than atlantic coast like NYC/Atlantic City/Long Island areas... Just like say, Blacksburg VA will be different than Virginia Beach.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Have I ever said I am from NYC? LOL

Old 10-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
You are right. its not the Broward but the Palm Beach County that is known in South Florida as the Sixth Boro.... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City