Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM

399 posts, read 883,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Yet to anybody from the east coast, and New York in particular, Chicago with its pace and mentality of residents resembles St. Louis much more than New York. While New York is very cosmopolitan, Chicago is very Midwestern. Chicago's business connections don't change much.

Im from the East Coast, and no.

Who is paying you to pretend youre from a place you arent and spend this much time on a place you dont like?

Miami-Fort Lauderdale, seriously?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:54 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Yet to anybody from the east coast, and New York in particular, Chicago with its pace and mentality of residents resembles St. Louis much more than New York. While New York is very cosmopolitan, Chicago is very Midwestern. Chicago's business connections don't change much.
Chicago is midwestern and it's very cosmopolitan and more so than pretty much any city in the Midwest and the vast majority of cities in the US. New York City is more cosmopolitan and it's more so than any city in the US regardless of which region those cities are in. I don't see you putting up a very sound argument. NYC as a baseline standard for cosmopolitan would mean pretty much no city in the US or the world is cosmopolitan.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 PM

555 posts, read 592,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Depends on how we're parsing that. If you mean "all-American Chicagoan" where the all-American is meant to be the most stereotypable as all-American then sure but that would be the case if you put that in front of any US city dweller. If you meant that somehow a city as large and diverse as Chicago is going to fall into a single "type" then that's obviously flawed.

Take this with the fact that anywhere from a fifth to a quarter of Chicagoans are foreign-born, a large population who are first or second generation Americans, a fairly large Puerto Rican population that are not counted as foreign-born but come from a not so stereotypical American background, and the general diversity of even the many generations American who are not going to fulfill the preconceived stereotypes you're talking about.
Sure. One visit to Chicago bars and you big part of population wearing cubs jerseys and baseball caps, girls in shorts and Uggs Yes they would definitely stand out I'm Amsterdam lol

Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,826,169 times
Quote:
Sure. One visit to Chicago bars and you big part of population wearing cubs jerseys and baseball caps, girls in shorts and Uggs Yes they would definitely stand out I'm Amsterdam lol
That statement alone shows you have never spent quality time in Chicago. Outside of before and after a Cubs game in Wrigleyville, no one dresses like that to go out to the bars/clubs.

Some trolls are so pathetic.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 PM

555 posts, read 592,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
That statement alone shows you have never spent quality time in Chicago. Outside of before and after a Cubs game in Wrigleyville, no one dresses like that to go out to the bars/clubs.

Some trolls are so pathetic.
I spent plenty of time in Chicago and the frat boy standard is well and alive there. Cubs jerseys, sneakers and girls in shorts and uggs. You don't think this would stand out in Amsterdam?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
I need to remember to use shorter and fewer sentences. I understand that reading is hard. I feel you bro.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,826,169 times
Quote:
I spent plenty of time in Chicago and the frat boy standard is well and alive there. Cubs jerseys, sneakers and girls in shorts and uggs. You don't think this would stand out in Amsterdam?
That frat boy scene only exists in wrigleyville. Again you have not spent enoughtime here. You are a really bad liar, but then again most trolls are.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM

Fratboys dont exist in NYC.

In fact, Chicago is the only place in the US with fratboys. Boston, NYC, DC and Philly dont have them. At all.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
i spent plenty of time in nyc and the frat boy standard is well and alive there. Yankees/mets/giants/jets/rangers/knicks jerseys, sneakers and girls in shorts and uggs. You don't think this would stand out in amsterdam?

fify.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 PM

This is honestly ****ing hilarious.

You really think there arent people in NYC who are fratboys, or "wear sneakers" and uggs/shorts?

And thats what separates cosmopolitan-NYC from non-cosmopolitan-Chicago?

Old Italian American men come into my work all the time looking for the most basic low grade clothing. They dont give a **** about what they wear as long as its cheap. A shirt is a shirt. Oh im sorry, lets use the example you did. Sneakers.

I dont even know what flotard is saying anymore, and I dont think he does either.

Its honestly impressive how absolutely moronic some people can be that you cross paths with on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City