Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Ohio:
1. Cleveland - Losing influence, but still the largest and arguably most well-known of the three big cities in Ohio. Cleveland Clinic third-best hospital system in the country.
2. Columbus - Used to only be the capital + OSU, now headquarters to many national & international companies; best economy of the three.
3. Cincinnati - Still influential, beginning to undergo an urban renaissance like Cleveland. A good part of its MSA is in Kentucky...
No disagreement with what was stated in the above post--if one is referring to MSA's strictly in Ohio. However, if not, then Cincinnati is the state's largest MSA, followed by Cleveland, then Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Georgia

Atlanta-Largest city,Capital

Savannah-Oldest city.One of the top tourist destination in America.Headquarters of Gulfstream Aviation,Port of Savannah(one of the largest ports in the U.S. and fastest growing),Ft.Stewart Army Base
Savannah State University
Armstrong Atlantic University

Augusta-Ft,Gordon ,NSA-Southern Regional,Georgia Health Regents University,Birthplace James Brown

*Macon-Fort Valley-Warner Robins(CSA)
Quote:
Macon has been the birthplace or hometown of such musicians as The Allman Brothers Band, Randy Crawford, Mark Heard, Lucille Hegamin, Otis Redding, Little Richard, Mike Mills and Bill Berry of R.E.M., as well as more recent names like violinist Robert McDuffie and country artist Jason Aldean.[clarification needed] The rapper Young Jeezy was discovered in Macon. September Hase, an alternative rock band, was discovered in Macon. Capricorn Records, run by Macon natives Phil Walden and briefly Alan Walden, made the city a hub for Southern rock music in the late 1960s and 1970s.
Ocmulgee National Monument is located near downtown Macon. It preserves some of the largest ancient earthwork mounds in Georgia built by the Mississippian culture a millennium ago, c. 950-1150. It was sacred to the historic Muscogee (Creek Nation) as well. Archeological artifacts reveal 13,000 years of human habitation at the site.[4] The park features a spiral mound, funeral mound, temple mounds, burial mounds, and a reconstructed earth lodge. It is the first Traditional Cultural Property designated by the National Park Service east of the Mississippi River.

Robins AFB is the home of the Air Force Materiel Command's Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex (WR-ALC) (FLZ) which is the worldwide manager for a wide range of aircraft, engines, missiles, software and avionics and accessories components

Museum of Aviation

Mercer University
Macon State College
Wesleyan College
Central Georgia Technical College
Fort Valley State University
Georgia College & State University

Columbus- Columbus lies 100 miles (160 km) south of Atlanta. Fort Benning, a major employer,

# Employer # of Employees
1 Fort Benning 41,462
2 Muscogee County School District 6,200
3 TSYS 4,300
4 Aflac 4,100
5 Columbus-Muscogee County Consolidated Government 2,933
6 Columbus Regional Healthcare System 2,700
7 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia 1,540
8 Pezold Management 1,500
9 St. Francis Hospital 1,470
10 Synovus 1,021

/Founded in 1953, the Columbus Museum (accredited by the American Association of Museums) contains much artifacts on both American art and regional history, displayed in both its permanent collection as well as temporary exhibitions.
/Columbus is home to the National Civil War Naval Museum, a 40,000-square-foot (3,700 m2) facility that opened in 1962 and features two original American Civil War military vessels, uniforms, equipment and weapons used by the Union and Confederate navies.
/The Coca-Cola Space Science Center opened in 1996 for the purpose of public education in science, physics, and astronomy. It includes seven flight simulators and a planetarium.
/The National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center opened in June 2009 and honors the service of Infantry forces in the United States Army. The museum includes displays related to the history of the Infantry from the founding of the nation to the present.

Athens-UGA

Dalton-Dalton is often referred to as the "Carpet Capital of the World", home to 150+ carpet plants. The industry employs more than 30,000 people in the Whitfield County area. More than 90% of the functional carpet produced in the world today is made within a 65-mile radius of the city.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta & Columbia get compared against each other more than Columbia/Charleston, and maybe even Columbia/Greenville sometimes.
That's really only here on CD, not in real life--although they are probably more characteristically alike in many ways than their respective in-state peers.

Quote:
There's a huge billboard along I-20 in Columbia County(suburb of Augusta) with the Columbia skyline in the background displaying the words 'Famously Hot'..
The same billboard can be found on I-77 headed into/out of Charlotte. It's just a marketing tool that targets the nearest out-of-state metros.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
NEW YORK STATE

1. New York City: obviously...
2. Rochester: Of all the Upstate cities, Rochester has arguably the most esteemed university outside of SU (actually ahead of SU in some respects), has a blooming technological field, and although its growth rate isnt large, the fact that it is growing at all puts it above all the other Upstate cities. No other major city in the state besides the City is growing, population or economically...Keep in context that Roc isnt a close number 2 to NYC, but it is the state's second best city, pound for pound...
3. Buffalo: Am aware that it and Rochester are actually more alike than different. However, I believe Rochester's progressiveness is enough to bump Buffalo to third wheel, even given Buffalo's past as one of the nation's elite cities....
4. Albany: It was tough considering Albany here. But I think from an in-state perspective, to NYer natives, Albany is the next best thing outside of the top 3. I personally enjoy Syracuse more, but I am trying to remain unbiased. There's a pretty significant gap from Buff/Roc (whichever you would consider no. 3) to Albany, but there is also a pretty significant gap from Alb/Cuse to the rest of the state...Albany wields power as the capital, and is actually pretty artistic and hip for a city its size. Is considered a co-anchor of its MSA, but any person who's actually spent time here knows its the Alpha city...
5. Syracuse: Could flip with Albany, depending on criteria or personal preference. But the fact that SU is the powerhouse that it is, and the money that it is able to generate for the city, is enough to place it fourth or fifth...

Best of the rest...there is a free fall from 5th place to the rest of the state, and the order of importance isnt really that important. However, I think most would include Yonkers, Binghamton, Niagara Falls, Utica, Rome, and Scehenectady in their BOTR...NYS really has some porous, depressing cities outside of the top 5...

Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM

CAROLINA

1. Charlotte: Is only a slight edge over Raleigh, but clearly these two cities trump every other cities in the Carolinas...my slight edge comes from my personal knowledge/trips/experience of both cities. Charlotte's only boost, in my opinion, is that its larger and a world-class financial center. Besides that, it and Raleigh are fairly level....
2. Raleigh: While well-known as the center of state gov't, being a college town, and having a burgeoning youth and artistic movement, the city is still underrated for its cosmopolitan nature, and in this respect is no more less so than Charlotte, and maybe even a little more. Dont see it as a better city than Charlotte, but also dont believe that it is so far behind Charlotte as city-data Nation seems to portray...
3. Durham: So I could really place "Raleigh-Durham" as number 2, because outside the Triangle and Charlotte city, there is a drop to what the next two best cities are...
4. Greensboro: Winston definitely seems to have the better future. Greensboro definitely seems to be the now, especially to young adults. I give Greensboro the slight edge--but only slightly...
5. Winston-Salem: see above...

Best of the rest:
I wouldnt be mad at anyone who would place Charleston at the 5 spot. For natives, it, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Cary, Greenville (NC and SC), and Fayetteville are the next regarded cities, in any order you please....

*Aside: I have always looked at both Carolinas as one, and of how much more influence they would have if they were one, not to mention that most of the country believes we're one big state anyway . The differences arent any bigger than Northern/Southern Cali, or NYC/NY State, so the fact they are seperate always seemed silly to me, and I only recognize it as being [i]technically[i] true. As a former resident, I am well aware of the "who's better" jostling, but I am also aware of the similarities....

To NC residents, the only areas that really matter in SC is the areas I mentioned. I hear more talk about Greenville on here than I ever heard in real life, in either state. All in all, Charleston is the dominant city there and the only one that comes close to NC's top cities, hence why it could be considered a top-5 for both Carolinas. However, the Pee Dee along the NC/SC border, the Midlands, the Upstate, and the Coast are all beautiful areas that challenge all regions in NC, with delightful towns of their own...

Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
CAROLINA

1. Charlotte: Is only a slight edge over Raleigh, but clearly these two cities trump every other cities in the Carolinas...my slight edge comes from my personal knowledge/trips/experience of both cities. Charlotte's only boost, in my opinion, is that its larger and a world-class financial center. Besides that, it and Raleigh are fairly level....
2. Raleigh: While well-known as the center of state gov't, being a college town, and having a burgeoning youth and artistic movement, the city is still underrated for its cosmopolitan nature, and in this respect is no more less so than Charlotte, and maybe even a little more. Dont see it as a better city than Charlotte, but also dont believe that it is so far behind Charlotte as city-data Nation seems to portray...
3. Durham: So I could really place "Raleigh-Durham" as number 2, because outside the Triangle and Charlotte city, there is a drop to what the next two best cities are...
4. Greensboro: Winston definitely seems to have the better future. Greensboro definitely seems to be the now, especially to young adults. I give Greensboro the slight edge--but only slightly...

Best of the rest:
I wouldnt be mad at anyone who would place Charleston at the 5 spot. For natives, it, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Cary, Greenville (NC and SC), and Fayetteville are the next regarded cities, in any order you please....

*Aside: I have always looked at both Carolinas as one, and of how much more influence they would have if they were one, not to mention that most of the country believes we're one big state anyway . The differences arent any bigger than Northern/Southern Cali, or NYC/NY State, so the fact they are seperate always seemed silly to me, and I only recognize it as being [i]technically[i] true. As a former resident, I am well aware of the "who's better" jostling, but I am also aware of the similarities....

To NC residents, the only areas that really matter in SC is the areas I mentioned. I hear more talk about Greenville on here than I ever heard in real life, in either state. All in all, Charleston is the dominant city there and the only one that comes close to NC's top cities, hence why it could be considered a top-5 for both Carolinas. However, the Pee Dee along the NC/SC border, the Midlands, the Upstate, and the Coast are all beautiful areas that challenge all regions in NC, with delightful towns of their own...

Disagree on Raleigh and Charlotte being slightly separated. City to City Charlotte is in a higher league on EVERY category except for universities. From sports, cultural events, transportation, business, city amenities, "urban living", tourism, its not close. Just wanted to get your opinion why you think they are?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Disagree on Raleigh and Charlotte being slightly separated. City to City Charlotte is in a higher league on EVERY category except for universities. From sports, cultural events, transportation, business, city amenities, "urban living", tourism, its not close. Just wanted to get your opinion why you think they are?
I disagree too but for different reasons. Frankly, Raleigh consistently gets better press than Charlotte. It's often near the top of "best of" city lists. It boasts a more educated population, lower unemployment rates, better performing schools and lower crime rates.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I disagree too but for different reasons. Frankly, Raleigh consistently gets better press than Charlotte. It's often near the top of "best of" city lists. It boasts a more educated population, lower unemployment rates, better performing schools and lower crime rates.
Very true, but it was Charlotte getting all that press first and still is to an extent. Being a bigger city with more amenities gives it a bigger general reputation, but the Triangle isn't too far behind IMO.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
CAROLINA

Best of the rest:
Pretty huge NC bias you've got there. In the most general sense, I agree with Charlotte and Raleigh/the Triangle occupying the top two spots, but I think Charleston is a solid #3 and, depending on exactly how you view this subject, it could actually take the top spot. It's nationally renowned for its history and cuisine and is a leisure tourist destination in a way the other cities aren't. But for general purposes, I think it's a solid third. And Columbia and Greenville could duke it out with Greensboro and Winston-Salem for the other two spots; the latter two aren't a slam dunk by any means.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM

@Mutiny, I agree with you, actually. I have no problem with placing Charleston as no. 3....as for this alleged "NC bias", nothing could be further from the truth. I consider SC as the most beautiful state in the country, at least of the 23 I've been to. I love South Carolina...and you get exactly what I'm saying about Charlotte. Not saying Raleigh is better, but Raleigh and the metro really arent that far behind....

Columbia could wrestle with Greensboro or Winston single-handedly; agreed. But the Triad versus Columbia, Columbia loses. And why is Greenville mentioned? I've saw Greenville, its not that great. Its a cute little city, but it reminds me of Knoxville. Where people get this notion that Greenville is on par with Columbia or Charleston completely blows my mind. The Upstate MSA/CSA is level with the Triad, but as a city to city comparison, Greenville SC is in the same belt as Greenville NC--not Greensboro nor Winston-Salem...

@QC, Charlotte is a bit overrated to me. Being a traveler, I expected to more from its reputation and for its size than what I actually got....of course, the stuff I'd heard about Charlotte before I went there was from Carolina natives, and we know how that is--Charlotte is king there. Because outside the state(s), Charlotte isnt boosted nearly as much.....

I saw Charlotte as visually appealing; Uptown is very pretty and sleek. NoDa was a gift to me, and is an urban cultural area that holds up with like areas in other cities. However, I also felt the lack of a true big-city vibe. As big and nice as Uptown is, the bustle was missing. You could round the streets and avenues, and it was hit or miss in terms of pedestrian traffic; it was like a damn ghost town on some streets. I did like the cafes/bars and mixed development buildings, but again, something was missing. And that is not unlike Raleigh, but the biggest thing that got to me was that Charlotte isn't supposed to feel that way. Charlotte is supposed to be hopping, it is supposed to be loud and wonderful with boundless energy and endless fun, and it just wasnt like that. The shopping and eateries, while definitely more in volume, wasnt anything greater than what Raleigh has to offer. And thats my lasting impression of Charlotte: It is bigger, it has more than Raleigh, but it doesnt offer a much DIFFERENT experience than what you would find in Raleigh...

I'll admit, my Charlotte trip only lasted 8-9 hours, but it was on a weekend. I'm not sure am I spoiled from visiting other big cities, but Charlotte is in the category as Baltimore to me. Not physically or culturally, of course, but they were both letdowns....I heard someone mention that to really enjoy the Charlotte experience, one would really have to live there. I am inclined to believe that, because from a traveler's perspective, would I go back? Yes. Did I enjoy myself while I was there? Hell yes. But was I floored or amazed by the city of Charlotte?...NO....

The fact that some of you all see Charlotte as far and away ahead of Raligh is fine with me. I just belive thats an affirmation of the fact that Charlotte has 'more' of stuff than Raleigh. Just one man's opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City