Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times

Advertisements

Austin, Charleston and Savannah are all top-notch for walking and perusing. Have to go a long way to beat them.

That being said, I like Nashville, Asheville and Charlottesville as well.

I never considered KC to be a walking town, unless you are hanging in Country Club Plaza for a day. Then, it is cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Austin, Charleston and Savannah are all top-notch for walking and perusing. Have to go a long way to beat them.

I never considered KC to be a walking town, unless you are hanging in Country Club Plaza for a day. Then, it is cool.
I'm sure one of the main reasons why KC is on the radar to some Californians is BECAUSE of the Country Club Plaza. What keeps most of them from moving there? Arctic winters by California standards...

Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:

Austin has a walkable downtown, I don't know any city that doesn't have a walkable downtown though. The other areas of Austin are pretty poor for walking.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:

Austin top notch?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
The difference between southern cities and Northern cities is that Northern cities have urbanity and streetwalls that go out for miles and miles outside of the CBD. Atlanta ad other southerns cities do not. ATL has urbanity going out for maybe 1-1.5 mile outside of Downtown, but that's it. It's all suburban from that point with spotty nodes of urbanity.

For example, This is like 6-7 miles outside of Chicago's CBD.

Chicago, IL - Google Maps

Still urban and walkable.

New Orleans is probably one of the only southern cities like this.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas City has always looked more to the cities of the West and Southwest in terms of overall cultural and architectural influences than the Midwest. This is only becoming more evident over time. Kansas City does not have much in common with the Great Lakes cities at all.
You're silly.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Actually, that isn't true.
Look, I lived in the Marigny for 3 years in the 90's. I am well aware there are 24 hour food places open in the Quarter. There are 24 hour food places in every city I've ever lived in. There are probably more in NOLA than anywhere else I've been, but if you think the Quarter is a "24/7 neighborhood" maybe we just have different definitions of what that means.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The difference between southern cities and Northern cities is that Northern cities have urbanity and streetwalls that go out for miles and miles outside of the CBD.

New Orleans is probably one of the only southern cities like this.
I think a lot of people might be surprised how geographically small the urban part of New Orleans really is. It gets pretty suburban pretty quickly. And there's some pretty significant swaths of even the urban part of the city that aren't particularly walkable. They have walkable built environments, but very little in the way of retail/services/etc.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Look, I lived in the Marigny for 3 years in the 90's. I am well aware there are 24 hour food places open in the Quarter. There are 24 hour food places in every city I've ever lived in. There are probably more in NOLA than anywhere else I've been, but if you think the Quarter is a "24/7 neighborhood" maybe we just have different definitions of what that means.
It pretty much is a 24/7 neighborhood. People are still stumbling around at 5am. Then the more mature tourists come out around 10am to eat breakfast and stroll the Quarter. Just because its not Times Square doesn't mean it's not 24/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I think a lot of people might be surprised how geographically small the urban part of New Orleans really is. It gets pretty suburban pretty quickly. And there's some pretty significant swaths of even the urban part of the city that aren't particularly walkable. They have walkable built environments, but very little in the way of retail/services/etc.
It doens't get suburban quickly. You have Mid-City, all of Uptown, including Carrolton, Lower Garden District, CBD, and Garden District, Quarter, Marigny, Bywater, rest of 9th ward, St. Roch, Broadmoor, and even the street grid of Lakeview is urban in it's makeup. The only true suburban parts of the city are The East and up by the lakefront like Gentilly and Filmore. Even Harrison Ave has some pedestrian activity.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It pretty much is a 24/7 neighborhood. People are still stumbling around at 5am. Then the more mature tourists come out around 10am to eat breakfast and stroll the Quarter. Just because its not Times Square doesn't mean it's not 24/7.

It doens't get suburban quickly. You have Mid-City, all of Uptown, including Carrolton, Lower Garden District, CBD, and Garden District, Quarter, Marigny, Bywater, rest of 9th ward, St. Roch, Broadmoor, and even the street grid of Lakeview is urban in it's makeup. The only true suburban parts of the city are The East and up by the lakefront like Gentilly and Filmore. Even Harrison Ave has some pedestrian activity.
A lot of it looks suburban to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City