Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times

Advertisements

Which cities have absolutely abysmal nightlife for their size? On the contrary, which ones exceed what you'd expect considering their size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Which cities have absolutely abysmal nightlife for their size? On the contrary, which ones exceed what you'd expect considering their size?
Phoenix, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville have the poorest given their large size, that I can think of.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Phoenix, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville have the poorest given their large size, that I can think of.
Phoenix has pretty good nightlife - while not a ton downtown there are lots of options throughout the metro and something for pretty much everyone

We've even had professional athletes get benched for enjoying it too much during playoff series

Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Phoenix has pretty good nightlife - while not a ton downtown there are lots of options throughout the metro and something for pretty much everyone

We've even had professional athletes get benched for enjoying it too much during playoff series
Scottsdale and Tempe have decent nightlife (although bars used to close at 1am until recently), but I was thinking of City proper.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
vegas has the best for its size. then again it wins outright in most nightlife categories, so not really fair.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 AM

14 posts, read 51,062 times
Las Vegas, New Orleans, Austin. In that order

Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Scottsdale and Tempe have decent nightlife (although bars used to close at 1am until recently), but I was thinking of City proper.
It's all phoenix ..... there really is no city proper and isn't thought of like that out here .... all the cities just run into each other with pockets pretty much scattered all around the valley .... even then you have places like Desert Ridge and other areas in north phoenix that people really don't think of as phoenix

Then there are places like the Biltmore area which is also Phoenix

Not to mention Deer Valley and all of that area way in the north

Downtown is still relatively quiet, but then again relative to the population that actually lives in/adjacent to downtown it's not bad - especially since it isn't exactly the jobs center of the metro either - it's come along with with the cityscape development, the college presence and the light rail ..... central phoenix/midtown has some great options as well

It's just not a city with a lot of density as far as population or workplace environment - as such, the rest of the ammenities just sprawl with it .... can make it a little harder when visiting or learning your way around the area, but still a lot there

Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The people's champ View Post
Las Vegas, New Orleans, Austin. In that order
I think it's difficult to protest too much at that

For a population around 10,000 Branson, MO packs a pretty hefty punch - although it's hardly a city

I think most places are pretty on point relative to their population - you have some destination cities that just draw a party crowd and some sleepy cities (SLC is really the only place that completely stands out based on my travels and then it would drop off to small cities where you'd expect there to be at least a handfull of good options, but are relatively quiet - cities in that 60,000 to 100,000 range)

Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,588 times
New Orleans and Vegas definitely punch well over their weight for nightlife. Austin and Nashville also do well for cities under 2 million.

For a much smaller place with lots going on, I'd say Key West and Charleston, SC.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Have you even been to Indianapolis?
Dont even think i should offer a response until that question is answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City