Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
There's two or three residential towers about to go up in Uptown. The demand has increased significantly, and to be honest, Uptown and the metro as a whole is better to live in.
Says?

In a nutshell, when one invests, they obviously want the greatest return on dollar spent. New development is new development. Individual real estate investment normally run along the lines of gentrification buying cheap properties fixing them up and either flipping or renting out. I've never dealt with Charlotte investment so that would be up to someone familiar with doing that in Charlotte to give a more accurate detail. I am familiar with Indianapolis as I've done it and can only speak to that. Indy is more of a renters market now to begin with since rental prices are going up in some instances as much as 15% year over year which is pretty high seeing as the standard uptick in rental prices tend to be in the 5% range. A neighborhood in gentrification especially in the middle stages, that will go even higher as far as renting or flipping the property for a profit. Obviously, the early stages of gentrification still brings trepidation among buyers that the area will truly gentrify and the later stages your going to almost be at max price anyway so it may end up being a loss for the buyer/renter as they arrived at the game late.

Anything over 5% year over year increase in rental charge is a good thing. It boils down to what Charlotte is overall as compared to price increase of what a landlord will normally charge. I say overall because your highly desirable areas will have a higher uptick to begin with rather its uptown Charlotte or downtown Indianapolis. It will be higher due to desirability in an already desirable area. If the OP is looking for more bang for his buck, rental rates over a 5 year period would be a very good indicator and just compare both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Says?

In a nutshell, when one invests, they obviously want the greatest return on dollar spent. New development is new development. Individual real estate investment normally run along the lines of gentrification buying cheap properties fixing them up and either flipping or renting out. I've never dealt with Charlotte investment so that would be up to someone familiar with doing that in Charlotte to give a more accurate detail. I am familiar with Indianapolis as I've done it and can only speak to that. Indy is more of a renters market now to begin with since rental prices are going up in some instances as much as 15% year over year which is pretty high seeing as the standard uptick in rental prices tend to be in the 5% range. A neighborhood in gentrification especially in the middle stages, that will go even higher as far as renting or flipping the property for a profit. Obviously, the early stages of gentrification still brings trepidation among buyers that the area will truly gentrify and the later stages your going to almost be at max price anyway so it may end up being a loss for the buyer/renter as they arrived at the game late.

Anything over 5% year over year increase in rental charge is a good thing. It boils down to what Charlotte is overall as compared to price increase of what a landlord will normally charge. I say overall because your highly desirable areas will have a higher uptick to begin with rather its uptown Charlotte or downtown Indianapolis. It will be higher due to desirability in an already desirable area. If the OP is looking for more bang for his buck, rental rates over a 5 year period would be a very good indicator and just compare both cities.
I'm not the one to get too specific with you. I only invest in an Uptown condo and have seen significant bang for my buck. Indy could be better, but I doubt it IMO.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
There's two or three residential towers about to go up in Uptown. The demand has increased significantly, and to be honest, Uptown and the metro as a whole is better to live in.
Have you been to Indianapolis? within the past ah lets say 5 years?
Cause you couldnt be more off.
Plus that question wasnt directed at you. it was directed at Cali.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
I'm not the one to get too specific with you. I only invest in an Uptown condo and have seen significant bang for my buck. Indy could be better, but I doubt it IMO.
Again, one needs to look at year over year rate increases going back 5 years or so. Uptown is a highly desired area in charlotte. In indy that would be downtown but certain parts like lockerbie and upper canal. They will automatically command more money. It's similar to living on a large body of water. For instance even living on lake michigan in gary is expensive because the lake is highly desired. If it weren't for the gary address it would be the most expensive area in northern indiana. The same applies here to a lesser extent. So i would throw out those areas since we already know there will be an uptick in price.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Have you been to Indianapolis? within the past ah lets say 5 years?
Cause you couldnt be more off.
Plus that question wasnt directed at you. it was directed at Cali.
I visited the zoo a couple of months ago if that really changes anything. Or is relevant at all.

Do you mind explaining to me how I'm off?

Oh, and me and Cali had the same response to the thread, and I actually live in Charlotte. It doesn't really matter who you directed it to because I replied to you.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I visited the zoo a couple of months ago if that really changes anything. Or is relevant at all.

Do you mind explaining to me how I'm off?

Oh, and me and Cali had the same response to the thread, and I actually live in Charlotte. It doesn't really matter who you directed it to because I replied to you.
Well saying i visited the Zoo isnt really detailed at all and doesnt really answer the question.
Lets rephrase it then. How long did you stay in Indy?
Cause its very doable to visit the Zoo and drive home in a single day.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
I don't think anybody is driving from Charlotte for a day-trip to Indy's zoo, BRG.

Mind telling the rest of us how this is relevant to the topic at hand?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I don't think anybody is driving from Charlotte for a day-trip to Indy's zoo, BRG.

Mind telling the rest of us how this is relevant to the topic at hand?
I am guessing he has his panties in a bunch over this:

Quote:
and to be honest, Uptown and the metro as a whole is better to live in.
Which is a very subjective thing to say. I don't doubt that for some people, Charlotte is a much more desirable location. I also don't doubt, that for a lot of people Charlotte is not appealing...at all. That doesn't make Charlotte a bad place, and it does not make Charlotte a bad place to invest.

I do think it shameful we can't get through 3 pages without this thread going the way of many other threads........subjective opinion presented as fact leading to a p***ing match between people with too much free time.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 04-30-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am guessing he has his panties in a bunch over this:

Which is a very subjective thing to say. I don't doubt that for some people, Charlotte is a much more desirable location. I also don't doubt, that for a lot of people Charlotte is not appealing...at all. That doesn't make Charlotte a bad place, and it does not make Charlotte a bad place to invest.

I do think it shameful we can't get through 3 pages without this thread going the way of many other threads........subjective opinion presented as fact leading to a p***ing match between people with too much free time.
Charlotte is a very nice city.
However acting like it can blow Indianapolis out of the water=ah no thats not true at all.
Indy VS Charlotte is very doable.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
However acting like it can blow Indianapolis out of the water=ah no thats not true at all.
Indy VS Charlotte is very doable.
Maybe............it is of no practical consequence to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City