Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah59396 View Post
Wouldn't the Bobcats argument actually help Charlotte as a "sports town"? The Bobcats still managed to get over 15k a game this season, after just getting to 20 wins this season and finishing with the worst win % record in NBA history last season. That should be a testament to those fans that showed up.

Throw the Panthers in there, who have had 4 winning seasons since 1995.
Carolina Panthers hope to preserve sellout streak - Charlotte Business Journal
"Despite the handful of winning seasons, the Panthers have sold out all but two of the their 171 exhibition, regular-season and playoff games in franchise history. "

And let's not forget that when the Hornets were here, they led the NBA in attendance for nearly a decade "The Coliseum hosted 364 consecutive NBA sell-outs from December 1988 to November 1997." The Coliseum held 24,000 people. Also of note, the Hornets never even made it out of the second round of the playoffs.

Baseball is still a different animal, and I don't think Charlotte is ready. But for a city full of transplants with a bunch of poorly managed, relatively new franchises, Charlotteans are pretty loyal. It's a tough town to cheer for, but you dance with the girl your brought to the prom.
Hold the phone............I've seen games on TV and the stadium is NEVER full! I KNOW Bank of America (or whomever) has agreed to buy out whatever tickets the team can't sell, and although that technically counts as a sell-out, it's subsidized. When the Vikings (my team) played the Panthers the fanbase was so lackluster that it seemed that there were half as many Vikings fans as Panthers fans.

Can any locals shed light on this, or am I just making this up in my head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 PM

78 posts, read 100,840 times
The answer to your question is PSL's. And honestly, the Vikings have been a team since 1961. The Panthers, 1995. Jurrasic Park came out before the Panthers existed. Is that really a fair comparison to make? At least give a team like the Panthers a generation to build its fan base.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Hold the phone............I've seen games on TV and the stadium is NEVER full! I KNOW Bank of America (or whomever) has agreed to buy out whatever tickets the team can't sell, and although that technically counts as a sell-out, it's subsidized. When the Vikings (my team) played the Panthers the fanbase was so lackluster that it seemed that there were half as many Vikings fans as Panthers fans.

The stadium always looks full to me...I don't recall any noticeable empty seats when watching the Panthers. I think it's just in your head honestly. I also don't buy the "half as many Vikings fans" comment...maybe a lot of Giants fans, but not Vikings. The Panthers fans never seemed at all lackluster to me.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 AM

365 posts, read 499,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

Nope, it's always sold out the right way. Bank of America or any sponsor never buys the tickets to avoid a "blackout" Blackout (broadcasting) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Diego, Tampa, Miami are some cities that sponsors have to buy bulk tickets to avoid it. Charlotte doesn't have that problem.
San Diego Chargers avoid TV blackout vs. Kansas City Chiefs - NFL.com
THIS IS YOUR NFL: Tampa Bay Bucs Black Out Fans for 22nd Time in 24 Games*|*Sports Fans Coalition
Miami Dolphins Avoid Blackout vs. Texans: How This Benefits Fans | Bleacher Report

Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 AM

92 posts, read 173,463 times
To mention the Orioles as a potential team that could relocate is just absolutely ludicrous, and shows that the OP knows nothing about the team and its relationship with its fans and the city of Baltimore.

I am just absolutely shocked that anyone would imply that the Orioles could move, and to call Camden Yards an "aging stadium" is so ridiculous that as a diehard Orioles fan and Baltimore resident I have to say that I am offended that someone could even make such a statement and actually be serious about it.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 AM

78 posts, read 100,840 times
^I wouldn't take it seriously. The O's aren't going anywhere. I hear people talk about the Jays "relocating" all the time. It's usually from someone that thinks Toronto is the same size as Omaha, or that people in Canada don't like baseball. It just blows my mind. Less Tampa, the AL East is set in stone.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM

144 posts, read 270,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamPilot View Post
To mention the Orioles as a potential team that could relocate is just absolutely ludicrous, and shows that the OP knows nothing about the team and its relationship with its fans and the city of Baltimore.

I am just absolutely shocked that anyone would imply that the Orioles could move, and to call Camden Yards an "aging stadium" is so ridiculous that as a diehard Orioles fan and Baltimore resident I have to say that I am offended that someone could even make such a statement and actually be serious about it.
I don't think the O's are leaving Baltimore either, but there are a few variables to consider with their long-term future in Baltimore.

1) Yes, Camden Yards is a model ballpark, but it's also 20 years old, and the Orioles lease expires there in 2021. Will the Orioles renew there? Almost definitely, but until they do, leaving the door open for speculation is not totally out of line.

2) Market share. Yes, the O's get a lionshare of the joint TV revenue between them and the Nationals, but if the Orioles were to go into another multi-year slump, I don't think they could compete with the Nationals for ratings, merch, attendance, etc. In other words, if there comes a day when MLB decides the Beltway isn't large enough for two teams, I see the Orioles being on the short end of that argument.

3) New Ownership. You never know what new ownership will want to do these days when a smaller to middle market team gets sold. Nothing is on the horizon in this regard, but you never know 5-10-15 years down the line.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM

144 posts, read 270,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Nope, it's always sold out the right way. Bank of America or any sponsor never buys the tickets to avoid a "blackout" Blackout (broadcasting) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Diego, Tampa, Miami are some cities that sponsors have to buy bulk tickets to avoid it. Charlotte doesn't have that problem.
THIS IS YOUR NFL: Tampa Bay Bucs Black Out Fans for 22nd Time in 24 Games*|*Sports Fans Coalition
Miami Dolphins Avoid Blackout vs. Texans: How This Benefits Fans | Bleacher Report
There are a few common offenders in attendance inflation in all four major sports, but to me, the Panthers numbers have always seemed fairly legit. The bright blue seats in the stadium sometimes make it seem more empty than it really is. The Bobcats on the other hand.......they seem to be using some gimmicks to pump up their numbers.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah59396 View Post
The answer to your question is PSL's. And honestly, the Vikings have been a team since 1961. The Panthers, 1995. Jurrasic Park came out before the Panthers existed. Is that really a fair comparison to make? At least give a team like the Panthers a generation to build its fan base.
I have no qualms with what you're saying, but I just want to iterate the differences between "sell outs". If, for example, the city KNEW that to sell out the baseball games it'd have to find a corporate sponsor (or PSL) to subsidize a large % of the tickets, I don't know if that'd be a tough sell for MLB, that's all. What do you think??

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post

Thanks for the info!

Perhaps there are a lot of season ticket holder then? Because the game I saw wasn't even close to sold out, and maybe ticket holders didn't care to show up that day? IDK. At best, it's anecdotal evidence I'm giving here, and I'm not trying to suggest that my personal observation is THE way in Charlotte, it's just all I've seen.

I'm curious what the actual attendance numbers are by stadium (turnstyle attendence, not sold tickets) as a percentage of the max?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City