Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

One question I have is about the South (excluding Florida and Texas). The South (Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia)...this region has over 55 million people, but is represented by a single team (Atlanta Braves). Granted, there are periphery teams (Texas and Florida teams, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Washington, and Baltimore)...but it does seem to be under-served by MLB big time. This is true in other pro sports...but most notably MLB. One problem is that outside Atlanta, there are no other very large cities. But would fan support go beyond the city and include a large portion of the region (like Atlanta currently does)? Would it make sense for MLB to place a team in Charlotte, Nashville, or even Tidewater, Birmingham, Memphis, etc?
This is the most interesting aspect of MLB expansion to me. I'm not a baseball fan but if New Orleans got a team, I would watch and support. We are not in Braves, Astros, or Rays territory and would influence a large area with proper marketing. The problem with the adding teams to an under-served region like the south is the lack of talent in the sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:50 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

One question I have is about the South (excluding Florida and Texas). The South (Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia)...this region has over 55 million people, but is represented by a single team (Atlanta Braves). Granted, there are periphery teams (Texas and Florida teams, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Washington, and Baltimore)...but it does seem to be under-served by MLB big time. This is true in other pro sports...but most notably MLB. One problem is that outside Atlanta, there are no other very large cities. But would fan support go beyond the city and include a large portion of the region (like Atlanta currently does)? Would it make sense for MLB to place a team in Charlotte, Nashville, or even Tidewater, Birmingham, Memphis, etc?
I don't think it would work except maybe Tidewater or Charlotte. Nashville would be an oversaturated market with 3 sport teams honestly. It's growing but it's not that big yet. Tidewater could maybe work but that would be the only team they would get. Memphis maybe since they only have one but the fact that the Cardinals are HUGE in Memphis and Arkansas and the metro simply is not that big, it would be a tall order for them to support one as well.

Also, while New Orleans maybe isn't Astro country. Much of Louisiana including South Louisiana is.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Also, while New Orleans maybe isn't Astro country. Much of Louisiana including South Louisiana is.
Lake Charles is the Louisiana market that is most associated with Astros fans, partly because it's 2 hour drive to Houston, and partly because we don't have a team in the state. Remember, Lake Charles is solidly a WHO DAT city. Lafayette and Baton Rouge are certainly not in Astros country. Most fans who follow regional teams would probably root for the Braves. If we were to get a team, most of Louisiana and south Mississippi would support just as we support the Pelicans, Saints, and LSU.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lake Charles is the Louisiana market that is most associated with Astros fans, partly because it's 2 hour drive to Houston, and partly because we don't have a team in the state. Remember, Lake Charles is solidly a WHO DAT city. Lafayette and Baton Rouge are certainly not in Astros country. Most fans who follow regional teams would probably root for the Braves. If we were to get a team, most of Louisiana and south Mississippi would support just as we support the Pelicans, Saints, and LSU.
ughh the pelicans. im sorry thats embarrassing

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
*ahem*

There is at the very least MEANING behind it. Although, I do think it would have been better as "Louisiana" Pelicans instead of "New Orleans".

Old 07-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I agree the name is beyond silly but it's just a name. I like our upcoming roster.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
I agree the name is beyond silly but it's just a name. I like our upcoming roster.
Your team will definitely be getting a great player in Jrue Holiday. The Pelicans will most likely be playoff contenders next season.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:45 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
I would say Lafayette is in Astro Country. Baton rouge is braves I will agree. But Baton Rouge plus South Mississippi with New Orleans is not enough to get an MLB team. Really if your metro isn't 3 million now and you don't have a team, the chances of getting a team is slim. It's really a big market and historical market sport. If you're not one of these two, you will struggle and you have to work much much harder.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Your team will definitely be getting a great player in Jrue Holiday. The Pelicans will most likely be playoff contenders next season.
Yea especially after Davis gets a little bigger this off season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say Lafayette is in Astro Country. Baton rouge is braves I will agree. But Baton Rouge plus South Mississippi with New Orleans is not enough to get an MLB team. Really if your metro isn't 3 million now and you don't have a team, the chances of getting a team is slim. It's really a big market and historical market sport. If you're not one of these two, you will struggle and you have to work much much harder.
It's not. New Orleans metro is 1.3m, with Baton Rouge and Mississippi is about 2.6m, and with Jackson and Lafayette being a tapable market it would round out to about 3.6m people. Now, I'm not suggesting in the least bit that we are going to get an MLB team anytime soon but if and hopefully when the league expands south, we will be one of the expansion markets.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 AM

53 posts, read 168,858 times
Can we all agree that if there's any team that needs to be moved, it would be the Oakland A's? Even WITH them doing as well as they are now, they still get only 22k people to show up and barely break 60% attendance. And no, I don't mean moving them within the Bay Area, I mean moving them out of the Bay Area since its staunchly Giants territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City