Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM

207 posts, read 336,517 times

Advertisements

There's really no point in asking whether people prefer anywhere in Cali w an area anywhere else in the country. I've noticed a lot of people on here hate on Cali, and will choose the other option before they even know what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,288,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Shopping - Tie
Economy - Dallas! California does not have a future.
Local Cuisine - Dallas, it is not geared towards vegetarians like SF
Nightlife - Dallas! The nightlife is geared for gays in SF
Wow, this is about as ignorant as it gets.

1) California's economy has rebounded dramatically recently. It is now in a surplus.

2) San Francisco is widely considered to be one of the best dining cities in the Country (perhaps the world), with incredible fine dining, outstanding ethnic, amazing hole-in-the-walls. The caliber of food in SF is top notch (which is why it is one of only 3 cities in the US, along with NYC and Chicago, to be eligible to receive Michelin stars). Dallas' food scene has some strengths, but it is not in the same league as SF. I actually think Houston currently has a better food scene than Dallas.

3) San Francisco's nightlife is in no way, shape or form only geared for gays. There are couple of districts with primarily gay bars, but on the whole SF offers something for everyone. There are a diverse array of walkable nightlife districts, a ton of bars (8th most per capita in the country, see link below), plenty of dive bars, pubs, cocktail lounges, clubs, sports bars - SF offers a much wider variety and quantity of nightlife than Dallas. That said, people in bars in Dallas tend to be more outgoing and friendly, so I could see preferring Dallas' nightlife in that regard. But, again, in terms of variety, quantity, and walkable nightlife districts SF wins by a longshot. Both cities stop serving at 2 am so that's a wash (although SF has a much bigger after hours scene).

San Francisco Restaurants Outnumber Every City In America: Trulia Reveals Biggest Food And Drink Cities (PHOTOS)

Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
1) California's economy has rebounded dramatically recently. It is now in a surplus.

2) San Francisco is widely considered to be one of the best dining cities in the Country (perhaps the world), with incredible fine dining, outstanding ethnic, amazing hole-in-the-walls. The caliber of food in SF is top notch (which is why it is one of only 3 cities in the US, along with NYC and Chicago, to be eligible to receive Michelin stars). Dallas' food scene has some strengths, but it is not in the same league as SF. I actually think Houston currently has a better food scene than Dallas.

3) San Francisco's nightlife is in no way, shape or form only geared for gays. There are couple of districts with primarily gay bars, but on the whole SF offers something for everyone. There are a diverse array of walkable nightlife districts, a ton of bars (8th most per capita in the country, see link below), plenty of dive bars, pubs, cocktail lounges, clubs, sports bars - SF offers a much wider variety and quantity of nightlife than Dallas. That said, people in bars in Dallas tend to be more outgoing and friendly, so I could see preferring Dallas' nightlife in that regard. But, again, in terms of variety, quantity, and walkable nightlife districts SF wins by a longshot. Both cities stop serving at 2 am so that's a wash (although SF has a much bigger after hours scene).

San Francisco Restaurants Outnumber Every City In America: Trulia Reveals Biggest Food And Drink Cities (PHOTOS)
I agree that the poster in question obviously didnt know much about San Francisco and the Bay, but it sounds like you dont know much about Dallas' nightlife. Its much more club centric than bar centric and EDM/techno/trance reigns supreme over the more vibrant areas. Also, there is quite a bit of variety and quantity in Dallas' nightlife scene. Its not a bar centric city at all.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM

364 posts, read 619,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I agree that the poster in question obviously didnt know much about San Francisco and the Bay, but it sounds like you dont know much about Dallas' nightlife. Its much more club centric than bar centric and EDM/techno/trance reigns supreme over the more vibrant areas. Also, there is quite a bit of variety and quantity in Dallas' nightlife scene. Its not a bar centric city at all.
You do not think Dallas has good sports bars?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
You do not think Dallas has good sports bars?
I do, but that isnt the center of Dallas' nightlife.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Honest to God, I would choose the Metroplex. The Bay Area government is just too far gone. My husband, a Bay Area native, would agree.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Just to clarify, when I said "people in bars" I was actually more broadly referring to people in all nightlife establishments (including clubs). I'm not much of a club person so during my two weeks in Dallas I only went to one but I did check out several bars in Uptown, Knox-Henderson, and along Greenville (is that considered part of Knox-Henderson?). Also, saw some music in Deep Ellum. However you want to put it, I found people out and about to be more friendly and outgoing than in SF (which I think is a big plus). I know what you mean about Dallas not being a bar-centric City, but there are some places I would still classify as "bars" even if there is a dance floor attached.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Glad to see DFW hanging on against six MSAs

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
And yet those "Six MSAs", which all share the same media, commuters, and sports teams (note how the San Francisco 49ers will be playing about 45 miles South in the far-off San Jose MSA in 2014) are (combined) nearly 3000 square miles smaller than the Metroplex and have far more continuous urban development than the Metroplex.

Sounds like your "MSAs" claim is more of a Census glitch than anything else and this is more than a fair comparison.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,300,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There's only two main MSAs in the Bay Area if you think about it. San Fran/Oakland and San Jose. The rest are small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City