Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:22 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It definitely is well above the national average in Eastern Alameda County, Livermore and Pleasanton are not affordable by any means to the average American. And Eastern Contra Costa County and much of Solano County are relatively lower middle-class/dumpy to ghetto and far from job centers. It's ALL overpriced.
I've seen plenty of homes going in the mid $200s in Livermore near the Vasco Rd. area of town. Solano County (Fairfield) is still cheap. This isn't 2002-2007 anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I've seen plenty of homes going in the mid $200s in Livermore near the Vasco Rd. area of town. Solano County (Fairfield) is still cheap. This isn't 2002-2007 anymore.
The median home price in Livermore is currently around $450K.

Livermore, CA real estate overview - Trulia.com

And Fairfield is a dump and far from good jobs, there's a reason it's "cheap".

Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The median home price in Livermore is currently around $450K.

Livermore, CA real estate overview - Trulia.com

And Fairfield is a dump and far from good jobs, there's a reason it's "cheap".
Home values are higher in the Bay Area but wages are also higher in the Bay Area than DFW. My brother works for Muni as a bus operater and is making $31 an hour. Are transit bus operators making $31 an hour in DFW?

I consistantly see ppl giving DFW the nod for cost of living with an abundance of jobs but those jobs pay less than compared to the Bay Area for the same work.

You get a home cheaper in DFW and pay high property tax rates with a lower income, or pay a higher price for a home and pay less for property tax but get jammed with state income tax with a higher earning wage. Seems like a wash to me.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Home values are higher in the Bay Area but wages are also higher in the Bay Area than DFW. My brother works for Muni as a bus operater and is making $31 an hour. Are transit bus operators making $31 an hour in DFW?

I consistantly see ppl giving DFW the nod for cost of living with an abundance of jobs but those jobs pay less than compared to the Bay Area for the same work.

You get a home cheaper in DFW and pay high property tax rates with a lower income, or pay a higher price for a home and pay less for property tax but get jammed with state income tax with a higher earning wage. Seems like a wash to me.
Are you honestly trying to argue that wages and property taxes somehow make the Bay Area just as affordable as the DFW area?

Also the property tax RATES are higher, not necessarily the actual annual bill since homes are cheaper.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM

I haven't checked the prices in a couple years but it looks like the average median price for a home in Livermore has jumped up 25% in the last year..Ouch!Livermore Home Prices and Home Values in CA - Zillow Local Info

Yes I agree that property is significantly higher, but that's the price you pay to live in the most desired area in the US.

When I compare different regions, I tend to leave out cost of living since it applies to only some people that have an income that would make things difficult. It doesn't effect everyone.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I haven't checked the prices in a couple years but it looks like the average median price for a home in Livermore has jumped up 25% in the last year..Ouch!Livermore Home Prices and Home Values in CA - Zillow Local Info

Yes I agree that property is significantly higher, but that's the price you pay to live in the most desired area in the US.

When I compare different regions, I tend to leave out cost of living since it applies to only some people that have an income that would make things difficult. It doesn't effect everyone.
Yeah it's not 2009/2010 anymore, prices are getting ridiculously expensive again.

Don't confuse an imbalance between supply and demand and high home prices as equating to "the most desired area in the US".

Well cost of living matters to a lot of people and it's why a lot of people leave the Bay Area and CA in general. It was ridiculous to claim that somehow "it's a wash" or leave out the fact that the more "affordable" areas of the Bay Area dumpy and/or from from job centers.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's not 2009/2010 anymore, prices are getting ridiculously expensive again.

Don't confuse an imbalance between supply and demand and high home prices as equating to "the most desired area in the US".

Well cost of living matters to a lot of people and it's why a lot of people leave the Bay Area and CA in general. It was ridiculous to claim that somehow "it's a wash" or leave out the fact that the more "affordable" areas of the Bay Area dumpy and/or from from job centers.
Well if demand is starting to limit the supply then your theory of ppl leaving the Bay Area must not be significant. To run through the supply in such a short time after the foreclosures up until recently must show at minimum people haven't left

Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Well if demand is starting to limit the supply then your theory of ppl leaving the Bay Area must not be significant. To run through the supply in such a short time after the foreclosures up until recently must show at minimum people haven't left
A lot of investors are buying those lower prices homes now. I'm not saying there is some mass exodus of people currently as I'm pretty sure there isn't but I wouldn't be surprised if people started leaving again if prices continue to climb as they have in the past. The economy is better now and yes plenty of people here make it work and do fine but don't try to downplay how ridiculously overpriced real estate here is. A lot of people here rent or deal with long commutes to make it work.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 PM

85 posts, read 160,799 times
Quote:
LMAO!! Your reaching on that one. You have no clue what your talking about. Why do we get so many know-it-alls that spout off on an area they no NOTHING about. Get yourself in a car and leave Tracy, CA at 5AM heading west on I-205 and tell me where you think those motorists are coming and going. If you think a four lane freeway backing up that time of the morning is because of a city of 80K habitants (Tracy) alone than you need to put down the crack pipe. There are many commuters that come from Stockton and Modesto that work in the Bay Area.

Next to further deep six your so-called knowledge of the Bay Area, San Jose was a nothing town in 1950 with a population of 50,000 people while San Francisco had 775,000 people. San Jose was the last area of the "Inner Bay Area" with large parcels of undeveloped land. Post World War two urban sprawl began to move south into the Santa Clara Valley because it was the last location of dirt cheap property on the "Inner Bay Area". San Jose did not grow on it's own like a Baltimore or a Ft. Worth. It grew from a boom in immigration starting in the 1970's along with residents from other Bay Area locations looking for cheap property. San Francisco lost over 100,000 residents alone between 1950 and 1980 so that should tell you that San Jose is a suburb city that has gotten large by urban sprawl from other local cities in the region and abroad. The census dorks drummed up an idea that since San Jose has a larger population than any BA city now that it should be deemed it's own metro area despite the fact that it's still nothing more than a suburb on steriods. A suburb in the San Francisco Bay Area to be precise.
Oh wow, you should write a long, well thought out disseration to the OMB then.

The Office of Management and Budget
725 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20503
Facsimile 202-395-3888

Until they change the guidelines, I'm sticking by then rather than what amateurs on a forum say. As far as I know, San Francisco and San Jose are two different metros. The government is never wrong about these things since its their whole job to manage the country.

Talking about making a living, the economy in DFW is way better than "SF Bay". Why anyone would live in a place named "Tracy", "Stockton", or "Modesto" is no concern of mine. As far as I know, the whole place is made up of farming and agriculture and everyone living there are migrant workers working off the farm.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM

207 posts, read 336,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
Oh wow, you should write a long, well thought out disseration to the OMB then.

The Office of Management and Budget
725 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20503
Facsimile 202-395-3888

Until they change the guidelines, I'm sticking by then rather than what amateurs on a forum say. As far as I know, San Francisco and San Jose are two different metros. The government is never wrong about these things since its their whole job to manage the country.

Talking about making a living, the economy in DFW is way better than "SF Bay". Why anyone would live in a place named "Tracy", "Stockton", or "Modesto" is no concern of mine. As far as I know, the whole place is made up of farming and agriculture and everyone living there are migrant workers working off the farm.
No one and I mean no one hates Cali as much as this guy...with all that hate we must be doing something right. I'd ask why you hate Cali so much, but I really don't give a crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City