Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times

Advertisements

Ignoring all these ridiculous posts I would just like to say that Tahoe is great during the summer too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 PM

25 posts, read 35,145 times
Yes but San Franciscans take it very hard when they learn most of the world doesn't care about it. It's not an Alpha city.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 PM

474 posts, read 530,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margiela View Post
Yes but San Franciscans take it very hard when they learn most of the world doesn't care about it. It's not an Alpha city.
Actually it is.
But then again, most of the world doesn't care about any one city.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Most actual San Francisco natives that I have met in real life are pretty calm and collected people in regards to their city. Rarely boosterish or boastful and have a more balanced take than the rose colored depictions some of the transplants have of it. It is also like that on this forum too, see users 'rah' and 'RadicalAtheist' as examples. I would say pretty solid people; understanding, non-boosterish, and fair.

Some of the new arrivals to San Francisco are embarrassments though, as far as this board goes. City-boosters are even worse than blatantly obvious trolls, in my personal opinion, because they actual mean the rubbish they say.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margiela View Post
In terms of influence and economics, as a metropolitan area, it's pretty much up there. There's only a handful of cities that are higher, and that's only if counting a lot of other factors like political clout.

It'd be interesting to see if Miami/South Florida can also develop into that--trade relaxation with Cuba would probably be a massive tipping point given how densely concentrated Cuban-Americans are in South Florida. That and growing prosperity among the many countries that are in and line the Caribbean would probably vaunt Miami/South Florida into a much higher tier.

One thing seems to be certain is that Miami is barrelling towards turning into a very dense and exciting city with the amount of development and low-hanging infrastructural improvements it has going for it. That is, if the sea doesn't end up drowning it first.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:12 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
"hey guys, let's talk trash about techies WHILE ON A COMPUTER"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHHA. I'd rather have techies than more "socialites" that a lot of people on CD seem to be obsessed with.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:35 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
"hey guys, let's talk trash about techies WHILE ON A COMPUTER"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHHA. I'd rather have techies than more "socialites" that a lot of people on CD seem to be obsessed with.
Is there really all that much trash talk about techies in this thread? I'm a "techie" working in Miami for a bit. It's pretty great, would probably recommend it. Network connections here are kind of garbage-y though. Meh

Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 PM

227 posts, read 437,661 times
For living... San Francisco
For everything else... Miami

Greetings from Miami

Old 05-02-2015, 12:03 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
For living... SF
For dying... MIA ?

That actually makes sense (I'm thinking retirees, not murders or any other kind of unnatural death).

Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Actually it is.
But then again, most of the world doesn't care about any one city.
SF is not an alpha city. The only real top-tier global cities in the U.S. are NYC and LA. And I would put DC and Chicago slightly ahead of SF too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City