Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you Prefer?
Bellevue 43 58.11%
Oakland 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Obviously it has a larger concentration of affluent households and highly educated people.... over DOUBLE the population. Oakland also has WAY more poor people.

Anyways...

-Oakland has double the unemployment rate
-Oakland had 93 murders in 2015. Bellevue has had under 20 murders COMBINED since 2002
-Oakland median household income is $51,000 ... Bellevue is $88,000
Haha right but the fact that Oakland is home to tens of thousands of affluent, educated households means Oakland is still very desirable. And now that's increasing with the influx of artists, musicians, writers, techies, hipsters etc that has made Downtown Oakland one of the trendiest places to be in the country.

It seems like you dont like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:14 PM

And lmao at the hate against poor people in this thread. Everyone knows that Oakland has a lot of poor people-tjose are communities also full of immigrants and minorities and they add value that a sterilized place like Bellevue just doesnt comprehend , but you didnt know that Oakland has a higher percentage of families earning $100,000 than the percentage of families living in poverty.

This is because of ignorance, which I understand, but resistance to being taught is what I dont get.

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Game and match.
I totally agree.

Oakland has the fifth largest contiguous cluster of wealthy and educated zip codes in the nation, which is beasty. But not reqlly a surprise to people who follow demography.

Largest Contigious Clusters of Elite Zip Codes defined by at least 7 in 10 adults have a College Degree and the Average Income exceed $120,000
1 Washington DC
2 East Manhattan
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

#noseattle #orbellevue

Old 08-22-2016, 12:15 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha right but the fact that Oakland is home to tens of thousands of affluent, educated households means Oakland is still very desirable. And now that's increasing with the influx of artists, musicians, writers, techies, hipsters etc that has made Downtown Oakland one of the trendiest places to be in the country.

It seems like you dont like that.
Now, venture away from the downtown area...........especially at night...........

Old 08-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
And lmao at the hate against poor people in this thread. Everyone knows that Oakland has a lot of poor people, but you didnt know that Oakland has a higher percentage of families earning $100,000 than the percentage of families living in poverty.
Who's hating on poor people on this thread?

The OP asked for and received individual preferences between Bellevue and Oakland.

Personally, I, along with most of those who have answered the poll (as of August 22, 2016), prefer Bellevue.

Three of my reasons are:

1) my wife's kids and grandkids (who we love) live in the Seattle area,

2) it's a beautiful area, and

3) there's no state income tax.

If you prefer Oakland, then more power to you but I don't understand your insistent need to be "right" regarding your opinion.

Opinions are neither "right" nor "wrong", they are just your particular viewpoint.

Methinks you doth protest too much.

Last edited by phlinak; 08-22-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Now, venture away from the downtown area...........especially at night...........
A black person might feel the same way about Bellevue.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
A black person might feel the same way about Bellevue.
Really??

I'm black and I don't feel that way about Bellevue.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Really??

I'm black and I don't feel that way about Bellevue.
Thats because you sound like an Uncle Tom.

And if youre Black as you claim, then why the dismissive posts about the city on the west coast that most embraces Blacks?

Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM

54 posts, read 63,665 times
Don't you just love it when someone speaks for black people, and then when a black person speaks for himself, he gets called an uncle Tom. That's when you know you're talking to someone who doesn't actually care about the black experience, he's just using it to further an agenda.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
Don't you just love it when someone speaks for black people, and then when a black person speaks for himself, he gets called an uncle Tom. That's when you know you're talking to someone who doesn't actually care about the black experience, he's just using it to further an agenda.
Haha actually I love it when someone who clearly knows very little about another person's city acts like theyre an authority--that's what I **LOVE**

Speaking of Black people, Oakland has predominantly Black neighborhoods that are affluent and desirable. Does Bellevue?

Furthermore, about walking outside of downtown at night, does Bellevue even have walkable neighborhoods outside of downtown? Haha Oakland has lots of great upscale ones with michelin recognized restaurants and chic local boutiques and sidewalk cafes.

Lol

Old 08-23-2016, 04:00 PM

54 posts, read 63,665 times
Quote:
Haha actually I love it when someone who clearly knows very little about another person's city acts like theyre an authority--that's what I **LOVE**

Speaking of Black people, Oakland has predominantly Black neighborhoods that are affluent and desirable. Does Bellevue?

Furthermore, about walking outside of downtown at night, does Bellevue even have walkable neighborhoods outside of downtown? Haha Oakland has lots of great upscale ones with michelin recognized restaurants and chic local boutiques and sidewalk cafes.

Lol
He presented an opinion that you didn't like so you called him an uncle Tom. That's childish beyond belief; veer off the victimhood narrative for one moment and suddenly you're not a real black person in the eyes of 18Montclair. I didn't expect much more than that to be honest though, based on your post history.

Also, I would think a proud Stanford graduate would understand that Bellevue is more wealthy per-capita, but in your previous posts you were talking about raw numbers without adjusting for the fact that Oakland is 3 times more populous than Bellevue.

Personally, with higher crime rates and less wealth, I can comfortably say that I would feel more comfortable walking around Bellevue than Oakland. I am a hiker though so the lack of walkable neighborhoods doesn't bother me as much as it might bother you.

Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City