Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More relevant city in the future
Houston 155 53.45%
Boston 135 46.55%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:21 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

I was just jabbing a little bit because you were downplaying the importance of an education when people could just get a "wielding" certificate.

There are thousands of reasons to get a college degree--or at least go to college. Look at any knowledge based industry. Not everyone wants to be a welder...if everyone did, that salary would be far lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
What I want to know is why does Houston have so little educated people living there? It has a great economy, but in regards to the college educated, it's very lacking.
And??? There's people here with no type of higher education making more than you. What's you're point??? College is not the end all, be all that it once was.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:01 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I was just jabbing a little bit because you were downplaying the importance of an education when people could just get a "wielding" certificate.

There are thousands of reasons to get a college degree--or at least go to college. Look at any knowledge based industry. Not everyone wants to be a welder...if everyone did, that salary would be far lower.
A "wielding" certificate qualifies you to work with steel, but apparently it does not equip you to handle irony.

*edit*
whoops. *iron ;-)

Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
What I want to know is why does Houston have so little educated people living there? It has a great economy, but in regards to the college educated, it's very lacking.
Poor, poor Ant, you seem quite confused, and deluded.

I'll give you that Houston is in need of a more prominent, and esteemed higher education sector. UH is decent, but could be better, and Rice is a top notch, but private university. The medical schools, such as Baylor, are also pretty decent as well.

But you can't assume that Houston does not have college educated folks; have you ever stopped to think that Houston, being the Energy Capitol of the World, as well as having an advanced medical facility, serves as a draw for brilliant young minds interested in those fields who finished their schooling, and are furthering their careers?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Poor, poor Ant, you seem quite confused, and deluded.

I'll give you that Houston is in need of a more prominent, and esteemed higher education sector. UH is decent, but could be better, and Rice is a top notch, but private university. The medical schools, such as Baylor, are also pretty decent as well.

But you can't assume that Houston does not have college educated folks; have you ever stopped to think that Houston, being the Energy Capitol of the World, as well as having an advanced medical facility, serves as a draw for brilliant young minds interested in those fields who finished their schooling, and are furthering their careers?
But it is actually lacking quite a bit. Out of the 100 major metro areas from the Brookings study which I posted previously, Houston ranked 58th in bachelor's degrees. The only metro areas over 3 million people in the US with less were Miami, Phoenix, Detroit and Riverside (CA). For master's degrees, it ranked 62nd, beating out only Phoenix & Riverside when it comes to 3 million+ metros.

So there's really not much to brag about in this regard since when it's compared to other major cities, it ranks very poorly.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
But it is actually lacking quite a bit. Out of the 100 major metro areas from the Brookings study which I posted previously, Houston ranked 58th in bachelor's degrees. The only metro areas over 3 million people in the US with less were Miami, Phoenix, Detroit and Riverside (CA). For master's degrees, it ranked 62nd, beating out only Phoenix & Riverside when it comes to 3 million+ metros.

So there's really not much to brag about in this regard since when it's compared to other major cities, it ranks very poorly.
Exactly. I would not have made the statement I made without knowing the factors prior. Houston is very low in regards to the top populated metros.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
At this point, I think they'd both be equally relevant in the future.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly. I would not have made the statement I made without knowing the factors prior. Houston is very low in regards to the top populated metros.
I never disputed the rankings, nor was I bragging; I've already mentioned in my previous post the need for Houston to focus on a strong higher education sector.

What I was saying, though, was that the rankings where only but one piece of the puzzle, and thus do not tell the full story; for example, others have already mentioned high-paying jobs wherr college degrees aren't needed. Logically, the presence of an advanced medical research center(largest of such in the world, and is supplemented with great medical schools like Baylor College of Medicine), and the great and powerful energy industry obviously helps draw elite talent to Houston, regardless of how it fares on "college rankings." And there are many decent schools in Houston, such as UoH, and Rice University.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I never disputed the rankings, nor was I bragging; I've already mentioned in my previous post the need for Houston to focus on a strong higher education sector.

What I was saying, though, was that the rankings where only but one piece of the puzzle, and thus do not tell the full story; for example, others have already mentioned high-paying jobs wherr college degrees aren't needed. Logically, the presence of an advanced medical research center(largest of such in the world, and is supplemented with great medical schools like Baylor College of Medicine), and the great and powerful energy industry obviously helps draw elite talent to Houston, regardless of how it fares on "college rankings." And there are many decent schools in Houston, such as UoH, and Rice University.
TMC may be the largest of its kind, but it's far from the best...Houston as a whole really isn't a large player in the life sciences industry overall.

The stats I posted weren't related to individual colleges, but the education levels of the populace. So as you can see from those stats, while there are plenty of people with college degrees, it fares very poorly when compared to other major cities.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
TMC may be the largest of its kind, but it's far from the best...Houston as a whole really isn't a large player in the life sciences industry overall.

The stats I posted weren't related to individual colleges, but the education levels of the populace. So as you can see from those stats, while there are plenty of people with college degrees, it fares very poorly when compared to other major cities.
The TMC is not the best medical complex, but make no mistake, it is advanced, and is quite top-notch, a draw for elite talent of the medical variety. The Houston Metro area is quite decent in the life sciences industries, many great institutions, and lots of innovations and contributions.

Like I said before, those stats are only but a piece of the puzzle; there are lots of other factors in play that aren't covered by such "most-educated metro" lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City