Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More relevant city in the future
Houston 155 53.45%
Boston 135 46.55%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wish NASA stops being brought up. The headquarters are in Washington, not Houston or Cape Canaveral.
I agree it's not necessary to mention NASA all too much...I just responded to something I felt was a bit misguided.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
...and the first word spoken on the moon definitely wasn't "boston"

The astronauts were calling "houston" because it was their control center was where all of the innovation and expertise resided.
They put the NASA control center in Houston as a gift to LBJ.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Im sure Boston has history and innovation but on my island Siapan texas in general is known more than massachusetts. No offense. You are from the u.s so you see things from the inside out.
I should probably respond to this. (Better late than never?)

Anyways, Siapan Island is not a good representation of the world. No offense.

And to counter your anecdote with one of my own: I went to high school (in Boston) with people from Brazil, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Guatemala, Ecuador, Venezuela, Haiti, Barbados, China, Ukraine, Albania, Bosnia, Palestine, Algeria, Nigeria...

So I promise that, regardless of what happens on Siapan Island, people outside of the US do know about Boston.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Boston: Higher Education. It is the US's one "true" differentiator in the global marketplace (we are very, very far ahead of anyone else). Energy, while important, will actually likely decentralize away from Houston in the coming years.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Why do people keep acting like Houston will not diversify? It already has, shifting from a concentration on oil to energy in general. It also has a growing healthcare sector.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Why do people keep acting like Houston will not diversify? It already has, shifting from a concentration on oil to energy in general. It also has a growing healthcare sector.
Yea the healthcare sector is growing but it's still relatively inconsequential nationally. Anderson MD is a great hospital but there's very little support from the private sector.

Jones Lang LaSalle doesn't even rank it in the top 20 in the United States overall.

It's certainly diversifying but it's still got a long way to go.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:48 PM

213 posts, read 388,319 times
Geographic location is also a factor in future relevancy. Both cities are port cities with a large amount of trade and logistics activity in play. Which city has more accessibility to existing, emerging, and larger trade markets?

The cities are far from each other and are exact opposites in many areas. So you can't base the success and relevancy of one city to the other city as they are different. Neither city as a whole is in a negative decline.

If you prefer a city that is somewhat annually warmer, and you are looking for a strong investment banking presence in energy then Houston is the most relevant.

If you prefer a cooler maritime city that has a large complex of first class higher learning and research then it will be Boston.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

And to counter your anecdote with one of my own: I went to high school (in Boston) with people from Brazil, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Guatemala, Ecuador, Venezuela, Haiti, Barbados, China, Ukraine, Albania, Bosnia, Palestine, Algeria, Nigeria...

So I promise that, regardless of what happens on Siapan Island, people outside of the US do know about Boston.
So would you say Massachusetts is known more than Texas as a whole? I beg to differ. Have you been to Malaysia, Vietnam, or Thailand??? Texas (Houston included) is one of the first states that come to mind when America is discussed.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Anybody not from America can point out Texas on a map before Massachusetts no offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City