Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:59 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, let's ignore impartial, unbiased government statistics and rely solely on stereotyping and random online vids that make us feel better about our own preconceived notions.

Because examining actual facts is too inconvenient, right?

Talk about losing cred.

I used facts too, you just choose to ignore it. For some reason you seem to believe that the Bay Area can do no wrong in terms of racial equality. Yep, you just went ahead and ignored my point about Hunter's Point being a shining example of marginalization in SF, a city that's suppose to be super tolerant and progressive.

Bottomline, your experience in the south seems limited. you, as well as many others can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that this isn't 1965 Mississippi in many southern cities anymore. Even mid sized southern cities generally have some examples of diversity. Augusta is a mid sized city, as well as Savannah. Ethnic diversity is there, and so is the tolerance.

But I guess sometimes it's hard to live down reputation. I personally spent many years in the south (Atlanta), the North East (NY and DC), and on the West Coast ( Seattle and now the Bay Area). I'm also originally FROM the midwest. From my experience, as a black man growing, I think the south has the most mature way of dealing with race issue. I think the south has the diversity, without the patronizing political correctness you find with people out West. When liberalism is a fad, you get pretty silly people. And trust me, liberalism is a fad for a lot of people out West.

I think people in the south are more real with each other in terms of racism. A white guy can feel a certain way about blacks, and asians but still have genuine black and asian friends. He just doesn't hang around them just to say he does. Those people are his friends and people he views as equals in many ways. I've only really seen this in the south.

Race relations in the Northeast and Midwest are horrible. The Northeast is only a slightly better midwest, with the midwest being far and away the worst race relations in the country. But the Northeast isn't far behind them.

The West Coast is pretty colorblind in the professional world, which is all I care about. I don't think people in the Bay and West Coast are breaking their neck to make friends of color (blacks and latinos). But they leave you alone, even though most of their friends are likely to be majority white, with a few sprinkles of asian/black to make their circles look interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I used facts too, you just choose to ignore it. For some reason you seem to believe that the Bay Area can do no wrong in terms of racial equality. Yep, you just went ahead and ignored my point about Hunter's Point being a shining example of marginalization in SF, a city that's suppose to be super tolerant and progressive.

Bottomline, your experience in the south seems limited. you, as well as many others can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that this isn't 1965 Mississippi in many southern cities anymore. Even mid sized southern cities generally have some examples of diversity. Augusta is a mid sized city, as well as Savannah. Ethnic diversity is there, and so is the tolerance.

But I guess sometimes it's hard to live down reputation. I personally spent many years in the south (Atlanta), the North East (NY and DC), and on the West Coast ( Seattle and now the Bay Area). I'm also originally FROM the midwest. From my experience, as a black man growing, I think the south has the most mature way of dealing with race issue. I think the south has the diversity, without the patronizing political correctness you find with people out West. When liberalism is a fad, you get pretty silly people. And trust me, liberalism is a fad for a lot of people out West.

I think people in the south are more real with each other in terms of racism. A white guy can feel a certain way about blacks, and asians but still have genuine black and asian friends. He just doesn't hang around them just to say he does. Those people are his friends and people he views as equals in many ways. I've only really seen this in the south.

Race relations in the Northeast and Midwest are horrible. The Northeast is only a slightly better midwest, with the midwest being far and away the worst race relations in the country. But the Northeast isn't far behind them.

The West Coast is pretty colorblind in the professional world, which is all I care about. I don't think people in the Bay and West Coast are breaking their neck to make friends of color (blacks and latinos). But they leave you alone, even though most of their friends are likely to be majority white, with a few sprinkles of asian/black to make their circles look interesting.
I think it varies within regions, depending on the circumstances. In Augusta, the military presence has a lot to do with interaction there and I know from being stationed there. In more rural towns in the South, like where my parents are from, it can still be pretty marginalized due to demographics in terms of racial makeup and even residential patterns.

I went to college in the Midwest for a few years and the school I went to could be very segregated, but it usually came from some people from that state's biggest city. Meeting people, Black and White, from smaller cities and towns, seemed to be less tense. That's even if the place they came from was or wasn't that diverse.

Being from the Northeast, I think it depends on where the person comes from and ability to interact with people of different background. Class can be an aspect as well, as places that are diverse or have a good degree of diversity and are generally middle class, tend to be well regarded by people of different backgrounds, if aware of information of such places. Area/city/town size play a part in this to a degree too. I will say with Upstate NY, you can find towns/areas of cities that can appeal to a variety of people, if you do your research.

Lastly, I don't think the OP is looking for serious answers, but just asked the question to get responses out of people.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
I used facts too, you just choose to ignore it. For some reason you seem to believe that the Bay Area can do no wrong in terms of racial equality.
No, its that you apparently think the Bay Area can do no right as far as racial equality.

And suddenly glorifying recent race relations in the most historically RACIST region in the US, while simultaneously downgading arguably the region with the LEAST racial tension is plain bizarre, as I stated.

And lol at the strange vid and your opinion that only trashy Whites marry Blacks.

After all of that, if I were u Id just stop talking.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, its that you apparently think the Bay Area can do no right as far as racial equality.

And suddenly glorifying recent race relations in the most historically RACIST region in the US, while simultaneously downgading arguably the region with the LEAST racial tension is plain bizarre, as I stated.

And lol at the strange vid and your opinion that only trashy Whites marry Blacks.

After all of that, if I were u Id just stop talking.

I never stated that SF and the Bay Area could do not right. But I did state that there are examples of marginalization throughout much of the Bay Area. This is truth, no matter how you try to spin it. And hey, the south does have a history of racial intolerance. This isn't to say it doesn't or haven't happened in other places. It has happened in SF, it has happened in LA, it has happened in Seattle, NYC, Chicago, etc. All places outside of the south. But the south got the big fat finger pointed at it. And in some ways, that is why the south isn't really all that bad today. It's because the whole country, if not the world had a big magnifying glass on it, waiting for it to mess up. People had to learn to get along. I think part of racial tolerance is racial honesty. You get that in the south. People work through their problems better with everything on the table.

I think the West Coast approach is generally based around pretending to get along with everyone. You lose a lot of the honest dialog between races. What people feel about each other isn't really encouraged to be stated. As a result, you never get to the level of authentic tolerance.

The South = Racial Tolerance
The West = Racial co-existence.

There is a difference.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM

204 posts, read 309,629 times
Quote:
The South = Racial Tolerance
The West = Racial co-existence.
BWAHAHAHAHAH... I'll have what he's smoking...

Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
It seemed like the Mexican communities in Texas seemed most integrated to me. Houston especially but also Dallas. My eyes don't see the whole story though so maybe I am wrong.

The truth is though is that America is not a very racially integrated place. All you need to do is take a look at this map to see that.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

That being said, it looks like a lot of cities do have some parts of town that look racially integrated. Northeast Atlanta, east Tulsa and maybe southwest Houston look like a lot of different types of people live there in peace with one another. Every city clearly has a black part of town, a white part of town, and a Hispanic part of town.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM

204 posts, read 309,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
It seemed like the Mexican communities in Texas seemed most integrated to me. Houston especially but also Dallas. My eyes don't see the whole story though so maybe I am wrong.

The truth is though is that America is not a very racially integrated place. All you need to do is take a look at this map to see that.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

That being said, it looks like a lot of cities do have some parts of town that look racially integrated. Northeast Atlanta, east Tulsa and maybe southwest Houston look like a lot of different types of people live there in peace with one another. Every city clearly has a black part of town, a white part of town, and a Hispanic part of town.
Check out Miami on that map. That's Racial Integration.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Check out Miami on that map. That's Racial Integration.

Miami? Seriously. And you're laughing at me?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
The Northern Virginia suburbs of DC are family friendly and racially diverse. I teach at a school in fairfax county where there are fairly equal numbers of blacks/whites/hispanics/asians from all different countries (lots of El Salvadorians, Guatemalans, and Peruvians, quite a few Indians and Pakistanis, many Ethiopians as well). It's a really neat area--the kids really do have friends across all sorts of races, and I'm excited that this is the future we're raising around here. Arlington, Prince William, and Loudoun counties are similarly diverse.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Anyway, as far as races living together closest to equilibrium, 3 Bay Area Metros take the top 3 spots.

As far as actual cities and towns, 12 of the Top 25 most diverse places are in Northern California including the Top 5, 8 in the Bay Area and 4 in Sacramento.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...erse-msas.html

Half of the top towns are in NorCal:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City