Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 134 33.17%
Houston 123 30.45%
Seattle 147 36.39%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times

Advertisements

Boston or Seattle. Could be either on any given day depending on my mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 04:02 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Houston is only 27% white. Boston doesn't come close. According to a 2012 study, using 2010 demographics Study: Houston area passes NYC as nation's most diverse.

Boston is also not known for its racial tolerance.
Racism is Alive and Well with (Boston) Hockey Fans | Crossing Broad
I assume Houston is free from all racism and bigotry?

Three white men convicted of hate crime in attack at Houston bus stop - Houston Chronicle

Houston judge accused of racist remarks - Houston Chronicle

Houston lesbian

Now see, if I was a complete idiot I would jump to conclusions and paint Houston as Intolerant and full of bigotry, but i am not and know that no city is free from all forms of racism and bigotry. I would rather focus on how diverse Houston's city council is, how welcoming the city is to immigrants into the professional class especially in the medical field and last but not least the fact that they elected a Lesbian Mayor.

Boston also has countless examples of achievement when it comes to people of colour and is extremely diverse itself. Thank goodness we are all reasonable enough to not paint an entire city as intolerant because of a couple tweets and news headlines

Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
1. Boston
2. Seattle
3. Houston

Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 PM

204 posts, read 309,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I assume Houston is free from all racism and bigotry?

Three white men convicted of hate crime in attack at Houston bus stop - Houston Chronicle

Houston judge accused of racist remarks - Houston Chronicle

Houston lesbian

Now see, if I was a complete idiot I would jump to conclusions and paint Houston as Intolerant and full of bigotry, but i am not and know that no city is free from all forms of racism and bigotry. I would rather focus on how diverse Houston's city council is, how welcoming the city is to immigrants into the professional class especially in the medical field and last but not least the fact that they elected a Lesbian Mayor.

Boston also has countless examples of achievement when it comes to people of colour and is extremely diverse itself. Thank goodness we are all reasonable enough to not paint an entire city as intolerant because of a couple tweets and news headlines
Whoa, I didn't say Boston was a sea of intolerance and city the size of Houston is going to have a few racist idiots. I mean check out the NYPD and Barneys vs Black people case. Student sues Barneys department store, NYPD, alleges racial profiling - CNN.com

Houston Is the international city of the region, and is willing to take anyone in. The University of Houston consistently ranks as one of the most diverse in the nation.

Boston is not a haven for racial tolerance. Don't try to paint it like it is. Boston isn't a great place for black people. Read The Most Racist City In America: Boston? or check out Arsonists torched black church after Obama's win - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News. When a Black Harvard professor is treated as he was something is wrong. Boston has made major strides in tolerance, but it does not compare to Houston.
Quote:

"It wasn't until I moved to Boston that someone called me ****** to my face.
It happened several times. The first couple of times, I heard it from elderly
white people."
The Most Racist City In America: Boston?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
Weather: Seattle, than Boston and Houston a distant 3rd. I just can't stand Houston's ridiculously hot & humid summer. With cold weather at least if you wear more cloth you'll be comfortable, there's not a thing you can do to make yourself feel comfortable in Houston during summer while outside.

Traffic: Houston, than Seattle and finally Boston.

Public Transportation: Boston, Seattle and a very very distant 3rd Houston.

Outdoor Recreation: Seattle, Boston, and than Houston.

Safety: Seattle,,, not sure where to rank Boston and Houston.

Job Market: Probably Seattle

Diversity: Houston, Seattle and Boston. Though I don't think its that big of a difference, all 3 cities have enough ethnic minorities of various types that you can find ethnic enclaves and authentic cuisines.

Personally I prefer Seattle, than Boston and lastly Houston. For me Houston is just too big (land area wise), too spread out (very low population density), too suburban like and too car dependent for my taste.
I agree with all of this except traffic and job market, the traffic in Houston is awful, especially if you live outside of the Beltway, which is were most working and middle class people have to live after the gentrification of the downtown areas. Yet the job market in Houston is extremely good and has been stable since the 1980's, which is the main reason anyone bothers to move to Houston.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Quote:
Whoa, I didn't say Boston was a sea of intolerance and city the size of Houston is going to have a few racist idiots. I mean check out the NYPD and Barneys vs Black people case. Student sues Barneys department store, NYPD, alleges racial profiling - CNN.com

Houston Is the international city of the region, and is willing to take anyone in. The University of Houston consistently ranks as one of the most diverse in the nation.

Boston is not a haven for racial tolerance. Don't try to paint it like it is. Boston isn't a great place for black people. Read The Most Racist City In America: Boston? or check out Arsonists torched black church after Obama's win - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News. When a Black Harvard professor is treated as he was something is wrong. Boston has made major strides in tolerance, but it does not compare to Houston.

The Most Racist City In America: Boston?
I am not naive enough to believe that havens for racial tolerance even exist on this planet. I also don't believe in Santa Claus and Unicorns either, perhaps you do?

There are better examples than others of course and I view Houston as a pretty good place to live as a person of colour, so no disputes there. On the other hand as a black man who lived in Boston full time for 7 years I would say I had no issues either and would easily recommend it to other people of colour, but it does still have its issues.

Also if you are going to use examples of racism, at least attempt to stay in the city you are speaking about. Not sure if you know, but Springfield is 2 hours away and a completely different city. Should we start using Austin and San Antonio in this discussion as well because they are under 3 hours away from Houston?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
No, they are not evenly matched. Houston has been labeled the most diverse city in America. Houston Surpasses New York And Los Angeles As The 'Most Diverse In Nation'
Study: Houston area passes NYC as nation's most diverse

Boston is 81 % white.... There is no competition. Houston is clearly more diverse than Boston...
So what do you have to say to the numbers I posted before.

Here's another interesting tidbit: Houston has almost 2 million Mexicans, Boston has 50,000. Therefore Houston's "Hispanic" percentages are very high, and Boston's are somewhat low. Remove Mexicans from the equation and Boston actually has more "Hispanics" than Houston.

And (also going off that thread I posted earlier) Boston has more immigration from Africa than Houston (so much for "Boston isn't a great place for black people.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Boston also has countless examples of achievement when it comes to people of colour and is extremely diverse itself.
I've always thought this one interesting: Summething Remembered Dirty Old Boston Photo Blog - Boston.com

Apparently that photo was taken around the time of the busing crisis. Anyway, its impossible to label an entire geographical area as racist. Especially by using stories like the one you posted, as hopefully ed's counter articles proved.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Seattle
Boston
Houston

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 AM

204 posts, read 309,593 times
Here's another interesting tidbit: Houston has almost 2 million Mexicans, Boston has 50,000. Therefore Houston's "Hispanic" percentages are very high, and Boston's are somewhat low. Remove Mexicans from the equation and Boston actually has more "Hispanics" than Houston. .[/quote]

How exactly do you plan to remove Mexicans from the equation, Hitler? I Kid. I Kid. My point is this fact doesn't matter because the Mexicans are all apart of Houston, Texas like very other race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
And (also going off that thread I posted earlier) Boston has more immigration from Africa than Houston (so much for "Boston isn't a great place for black people.") .
Savannah, Ga has a very high population of Black Americans. Is it a good place to be black? No. The reason for Boston's high African immigrants might have to do with the Educational hub that the city is as African immigrants have the highest level of degree attainment in the USA.

Quote:

I've always thought this one interesting: Summething Remembered Dirty Old Boston Photo Blog -
Boston.com

Apparently that photo was taken around the time of the busing crisis. Anyway,
its impossible to label an entire geographical area as racist. Especially by
using stories like the one you posted, as hopefully ed's counter articles
proved
No, I'm not going to argue that the whole city is filled with racism, but it is a bigger problem there. I've experienced little myself, but you always get the vibe of a city through a cab driver. My cab driver was spit on and kicked out of bars for no reason. Hearing the word "n***er" isn't uncommon. I also have constant complaint of employer discrimination from family.

So to end this off. The whole Boston region isn't racist. I myself found UMass to be very welcoming on my trip there. There is still a racist problem that exist in the city and it isn't being addressed.

I already know someone is going to say "But...but no place is a racial paradise." True (except for Indian Trail, NC) but some places are better than others.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Quote:
No, I'm not going to argue that the whole city is filled with racism, but it is a bigger problem there. I've experienced little myself, but you always get the vibe of a city through a cab driver. My cab driver was spit on and kicked out of bars for no reason. Hearing the word "n***er" isn't uncommon. I also have constant complaint of employer discrimination from family.
I find it amusing a young buck living in FL feels he has more of a handle on race relations in Boston than those of us who were born and raised here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City