Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,325 times

Advertisements

Because I recently came across an extremely ludicrous and provocative question that somehow likened any Midwestern city as somehow in any manner resembling a City in the Southeastern United States, I thought maybe I could start a similar yet a different discussion forum on here for the city versus city battle. Which U.S. City Is most like the City of Indianapolis in regards to culture, climate, politics, demographics, types of plants that grow there, cuisine, et cetera, population growth patterns, and other things you can think of, so any city need not fit all these categories to be like Indy, you may just state your honest opinion from your perspective of which city most is like Indianapolis.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
My guess is Columbus, OH. They've been similar in size and growth for decades and have defied the Rust Belt slump that has plagued other major cities in that region.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 AM

383 posts, read 512,140 times
Cbus and Indy seem to be very similar. Located almost directly east or west of one another. Similar size city population, similar size metro. Indy more complete downtown. Cbus more complete urban neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Cbus seems more brick home oriented and Indy more wood frame. Nearly identical airport destinations, both have an outer loop with the north side being more wealthy and the south side not as much.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
I feel like this should be in the Indy forum.

But the answer is most certainly Columbus, Ohio (front runner). I have been to both extensively enough to notice the similarities. Even the circular highways that surround the city centers are almost identical.

The next two choices I think would be Jacksonville, Florida and maybe Charlotte, North Carolina.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times
Columbus would be a good answer.

Any major city in that part of the Midwest will have some similarities, though.

Not getting Jacksonville and Charlotte, though. I would never mistake the culture/accents/architectural feel in Florida and the Carolinas for Indiana. That's just strange, IMO.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM

132 posts, read 545,640 times
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Similar in population (1.3 million compared to 1.7 million)
Both are moderately conservative
Both are around 60% white and 25% black
Among the whites, most are of German and Protestant, lacking the large Polish influence of Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit and Cleveland
Both are build around small rivers

Old 11-24-2013, 06:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Not getting Jacksonville and Charlotte, though. I would never mistake the culture/accents/architectural feel in Florida and the Carolinas for Indiana. That's just strange, IMO.
Not the culture. Just the layout and feel for the city.

It's not identical of course but similar, at least for Jacksonville. It looks a lot like Indy with Palm Trees and a much bigger water source surrounding it with a bridge.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM

271 posts, read 458,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Among the whites, most are of German and Protestant, lacking the large Polish influence of Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit and Cleveland
Grand Rapids just passed 1M, i don't how you got 1.3M maybe CSA? Anway Indy's metro (1.9M) is close to 2M so no comparison population wise there.

To answer the OP, like everyone said, Columbus, OH is the most similar to Indy. Both are capital cities, both experiencing economic growth, population numbers again very similar.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:30 PM

93,237 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
When I think of Grand Rapids, I think of the strong Dutch(Reformed) influence. I believe that its West side is where the Polish community is concentrated in the city.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 PM

87 posts, read 180,822 times
Columbus, Ohio is too small and podunk to be mentioned along with Indianapolis. Most people cant pinpoint Columbus, Ohio on a map. I'm not even sure Columbus, Ohio even exist. Columbus, Ohio is more similar to the podunk college town Evansville than the global metropolis called of Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City