Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colorado vs Michigan Accent
Michigan 60 68.18%
Colorado 3 3.41%
Neither 12 13.64%
Both 13 14.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanox View Post
Did you talk to everyone in the Kansas City region? I find that really amazing that you know when a specific region's accent is spreading into another region.

Kansas City has a North Midland accent just like Omaha and DSM, GraniteStater. Chill out with the "KC is southern" talk.
When I visited KC I certainly detected what, to my ears, sounded like a Southern accent. We know KC is not the South, but it's not far from it either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Had a high school teacher from Michigan.

She'd always say "box" like "bax".

Don't know many people from Colorado, however.....

Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM

100 posts, read 163,557 times
I'm orignally from Norcal, and people from Colorado, California, (basically any other state on the west coast), Nevada, Idaho, or Arizona don't have accents. The only accents I know of in regards to people who live in the U.S. are people from the South, the North (Minnesota) and the North East coast (Man I wish I could talk like that )

Old 01-03-2014, 05:06 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdantes View Post
I'm orignally from Norcal, and people from Colorado, California, (basically any other state on the west coast), Nevada, Idaho, or Arizona don't have accents.
Oh my Every state you mentioned is in the Western part of the U.S which speak in a cot/caught merged dialect which would sound "accented" to an East Coast speaker. Midwestern "neutral" sounds a bit different from West Coast "neutral". BTW, Isn't Sarah Palin from Idaho? She has a strong accent.

Quote:
The only accents I know of in regards to people who live in the U.S. are people from the South, the North (Minnesota) and the North East coast (Man I wish I could talk like that )
There's alot more accents than that across the US. There are many distinct accents in California alone.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 PM

100 posts, read 163,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
There's alot more accents than that across the US. There are many distinct accents in California alone.
Hmm.. Yes and no...if you're in SoCal sometimes you'll hear that SUPER laid back "Hang 10" accent, but it's not really all that common for it to be so strong one can hear it. Unless of course you're looking for it or trying to pay attention to it you know?

I guess if you go WAY up to the Northern parts of California, like in the rural areas people can start sounding a little country.

I wouldn't say Palin has a strong accent...it's barely noticeable.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdantes View Post
I wouldn't say Palin has a strong accent...it's barely noticeable.
People are probably more remembering Tina Fey's version.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanox View Post
Did you talk to everyone in the Kansas City region? I find that really amazing that you know when a specific region's accent is spreading into another region.

Kansas City has a North Midland accent just like Omaha and DSM, GraniteStater. Chill out with the "KC is southern" talk.
KC has a Midland Midland accent, like Columbus, Ohio, or Indianapolis. Omaha is obviously more northern in speech (dead giveaway: they don't pronounce "pen" and "pin" the same). Anyone could tell this after 15 minutes in KC and 15 minutes in Omaha.

Unless you went to Omaha and only went to Council Bluffs.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
KC has a Midland Midland accent, like Columbus, Ohio, or Indianapolis. Omaha is obviously more northern in speech (dead giveaway: they don't pronounce "pen" and "pin" the same). Anyone could tell this after 15 minutes in KC and 15 minutes in Omaha.

Unless you went to Omaha and only went to Council Bluffs.
That is mostly true regarding the pen/pin merger and I'm originally from KC. However, after living the northern tier for so many years the speech patterns there just sound a bit more southern to me overall Omaha and Des Moines likely have the more neutral accents from my travels. As you hit northern and northeast Iowa the northern cities vowel shift begins to become more prominent again.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:09 PM

651 posts, read 862,718 times
East cost is "BAX"
Minnesota "B"AH"X"
Colorado "BOX"
Michigan mixed bag

Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Michigan: I'm a talker
Colorado: I'm a toker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City