Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap/hip-hop scene?
Atlanta 152 42.58%
New York 127 35.57%
Los Angeles 86 24.09%
Chicago 44 12.32%
Toronto 16 4.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:24 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Toronto should be replaced with Houston or New Orleans.
Yep. It's a crime Houston isn't on this list. The first city outside of the east or west coast to break through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 06:59 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Yep. It's a crime Houston isn't on this list. The first city outside of the east or west coast to break through.
Yes Houston should be on this poll. Syrup, slabs and screw. And the geto boys was the first succesful southern hip hop group.

Last edited by mrfoe; 10-25-2014 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
if you guys are doing honorable mentions than Philly deserves to be thrown in. You would think more people would have made it big from here but not the case. None the less, notable names: The Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff, The Roots, Meek Mill, Cassidy, Freeway, Kurupt, Black Thougnt, Vinny Paz/Jedi Mind/Army of the Pharaohs, Beanie Sigel, Chiddy Bang, Eve, g love and special sauce consider themselves alternative hip hop. It's funny pretty much the only song to come out of Philly and get on the radio In the past number of years is Asher Roths stupid I Love College song.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
if you guys are doing honorable mentions than Philly deserves to be thrown in. You would think more people would have made it big from here but not the case. None the less, notable names: The Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff, The Roots, Meek Mill, Cassidy, Freeway, Kurupt, Black Thougnt, Vinny Paz/Jedi Mind/Army of the Pharaohs, Beanie Sigel, Chiddy Bang, Eve, g love and special sauce consider themselves alternative hip hop. It's funny pretty much the only song to come out of Philly and get on the radio In the past number of years is Asher Roths stupid I Love College song.
Unfortunately these ppl are going by what they here on the radio. They don't know about quality underground music from places like Houston, Philly, and Detroit.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:57 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Unfortunately these ppl are going by what they here on the radio. They don't know about quality underground music from places like Houston, Philly, and Detroit.
Agreed. Undergroud rap has been king for over a decade anyway. No offense to other people but if you think people like Drake are the GOAT, honestly go on youtube and start checking out other artists.

More my style:

Vinnie Paz "Is Happiness Just A Word?" feat. Yes Alexander (Official Video) - YouTube

and if you think you know rap music, and have never listened to dance with the devil by Immortal Technique than thank me later, at that go pick up Revolutionary Vol. 1 and 2. Material is a little dated now but this is the real deal.

Dance With The Devil - Immortal Technique - YouTube

One major turn off people have with Vinnie and Jedi Mind is there heavy muslim influence, and well it really is just a reflection of the culture that exists in North Philly.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-25-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 10:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
This track is over 20 years old, but K-Rino is still putting it down for Houston and Texas in 2014.

K-rino - Step into my mind - YouTube

Old 10-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
This track is over 20 years old, but K-Rino is still putting it down for Houston and Texas in 2014.

K-rino - Step into my mind - YouTube
They don't know about screwed up click from Houston though.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
I am a Michigan Negro so I am kind of partial to Michigan Hip Hop. The old Danny Brown is probably my favorite, not so much his new stuff. I can get my hip hop fix from Michigan underground.

I think there is talent all over and its just a matter where the industry chooses to shine the spot light. Its like arrests. There will be more people arrested in areas where they put more police. It's not as if crime does not go on in these other areas, but if you put all of the police on certain sides of town, then the criminals on that side of town are going to get arrested. If the labels are in certain cities....then that is where the artist are going to come from mostly....unless they are underground.

I think the problem with NY is their accent. If you have that strong NY accent then it sounds old school even if its new stuff. Right now the southern accent is in for rap....but pretty soon that is going to play out too and that is going to start sounding "old" when you rap with a southern accent. I think areas like the Midwest and Cali will continue with a steady flow of artist without ever being associated with regionalism. When you can listen at a rap and tell where they are from via their accents, that runs the risk of playing out. I mean...when I hear a NY guy rap with that accent....it just sounds old school...because the accent becomes part of the industry "sound"....like the southern accent is part of the industry sound right now.

I think Michigan Hip Hop should tell the story of what life is like in many of Michigan cities, given the hard times that the state has been through. If you ride through Detroit, Flint, Saginaw....you know what I mean. These cities have experienced depression like conditions over the last decade. That is why I liked the old Danny Brown because you could feel the pain of the conditions in his rap as he was not talking about his watches watching his diamonds and all that bling, bling shiat. He was talking about roaches in the cereal boxes and toilet seats, welfare, the streets etc. Here is a message from 1000 bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIjrxyh4vos

Old 11-22-2014, 01:42 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am a Michigan Negro so I am kind of partial to Michigan Hip Hop. The old Danny Brown is probably my favorite, not so much his new stuff. I can get my hip hop fix from Michigan underground.

I think there is talent all over and its just a matter where the industry chooses to shine the spot light. Its like arrests. There will be more people arrested in areas where they put more police. It's not as if crime does not go on in these other areas, but if you put all of the police on certain sides of town, then the criminals on that side of town are going to get arrested. If the labels are in certain cities....then that is where the artist are going to come from mostly....unless they are underground.

I think the problem with NY is their accent. If you have that strong NY accent then it sounds old school even if its new stuff. Right now the southern accent is in for rap....but pretty soon that is going to play out too and that is going to start sounding "old" when you rap with a southern accent. I think areas like the Midwest and Cali will continue with a steady flow of artist without ever being associated with regionalism. When you can listen at a rap and tell where they are from via their accents, that runs the risk of playing out. I mean...when I hear a NY guy rap with that accent....it just sounds old school...because the accent becomes part of the industry "sound"....like the southern accent is part of the industry sound right now.

I think Michigan Hip Hop should tell the story of what life is like in many of Michigan cities, given the hard times that the state has been through. If you ride through Detroit, Flint, Saginaw....you know what I mean. These cities have experienced depression like conditions over the last decade. That is why I liked the old Danny Brown because you could feel the pain of the conditions in his rap as he was not talking about his watches watching his diamonds and all that bling, bling shiat. He was talking about roaches in the cereal boxes and toilet seats, welfare, the streets etc. Here is a message from 1000 bars.

I liked that song. That was some REAL hip hop right there.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:07 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

That was dope, you got any other recs? On what you said I feel where you're coming from 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City