Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,446 times

Advertisements

In my view (some bias after moving from Chicago to Austin) but having traveled all around this is where my list stands:

Overrated:

Houston
San Antonio
Orlando
Atlanta
Knoxville
Birmingham
Savannah, Ga
Panama City, fl

Underrated:

Austin, Tx Love it here. Fastest growing city in the country. Awesome vibe, underrated skyline and downtown, friendly people, access to the beautiful scenery and outdoors, tons to do, and access to 3+ "major" cities (Dallas-houston-San Antonio, waco, san marcos, ocean not too far away).

Dallas, Tx (Awesome skyline, low unemployment, tons of things to do, Great shopping and eats-low cost of living, no extremes as far as weather) Gets a bad rep but I dont get it.

Franklin, Tennessee

Charleston, South Carolina

St.Augustine, Florida

Myrtle Beach, Sc

Gatlinburg, Tn

Old 03-26-2014, 03:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
Baltimore most underrated southern city.
Once again, not the south.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
In my view (some bias after moving from Chicago to Austin) but having traveled all around this is where my list stands:

Overrated:

Houston
San Antonio
Orlando
Atlanta
Knoxville
Birmingham
Savannah, Ga
Panama City, fl

Underrated:

Austin, Tx Love it here. Fastest growing city in the country. Awesome vibe, underrated skyline and downtown, friendly people, access to the beautiful scenery and outdoors, tons to do, and access to 3+ "major" cities (Dallas-houston-San Antonio, waco, san marcos, ocean not too far away).

Dallas, Tx (Awesome skyline, low unemployment, tons of things to do, Great shopping and eats-low cost of living, no extremes as far as weather) Gets a bad rep but I dont get it.

Franklin, Tennessee

Charleston, South Carolina

St.Augustine, Florida

Myrtle Beach, Sc

Gatlinburg, Tn
Who overrates Knoxville,or Birmingham?
Or underrates Austin of all places?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Well I've heard of people under hyping or down playing a city without ever visiting (Austin) and vice versa (Birmingham and Knoxville) hence why I said that. Not every mind thinks alike.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,271 times
Quote:
Well I've heard of people under hyping or down playing a city without ever visiting (Austin) and vice versa (Birmingham and Knoxville) hence why I said that. Not every mind thinks alike.
I haven't seen/heard anyone underrate Austin or overrate Birmingham or Knoxville.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM

Well believe it or not people do have interaction with other humans outside of a website. I've heard Austin be trashed by people for its traffic, no pro sports teams and so on.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Well believe it or not people do have interaction with other humans outside of a website. I've heard Austin be trashed by people for its traffic, no pro sports teams and so on.
That's quite different from underrating it though.

Generally speaking, there's really not enough hype surrounding Birmingham or Knoxville to call them overrated. Hell, they don't even get the respect they deserve within their respective states! I'm very curious about what you've heard from people you've interacted with that makes you think those two cities are overrated.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM

39 posts, read 46,712 times
Yeah, it's hard to say what is overrated and underrated since we are not looking at some master list of rankings, it's all just what we have heard personally. I have heard Austin both overrated and underrated based upon my own opinion of it, and I wouldn't even put it on this list because I wouldn't normally refer to it as a southern city.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 PM

Well Knoxville I heard was nice for its location adjacent to the appalachian mountains, Tennessee university campus, and its southern charm. When we visited I just didn't care for it at all. It wasn't visually appealing, I wasnt very impressed with the university and the rest of the city. Birmingham I put on the list because I had heard it was worth the visit driving through to Panama city and to be honest we couldnt get out fast enough. People were very rude, it looked run down, and to be honest I didnt care for anything in bama'. We saw huntsville, tuscaloosa and montgomery as well. Just not my cup of tea I suppose.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I just think he was saying that it's fair game to use places within the metro area outside of the urban core to score points for urbanity and walkability. For Atlanta, that would include areas like downtown Decatur, the square in downtown Marietta, downtown Roswell, Vinings, etc.
I wouldn't mention Marietta, Roswell, Vinings in a walkability comparison thread since they aren't in the city of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City