Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are America's Mega Regions
Cascadia 22 21.15%
Sierra Pacific 13 12.50%
Piedmont Atlantic 16 15.38%
Mountain 3 2.88%
Twin Cities 2 1.92%
Great Lakes 33 31.73%
Texas Triangle 31 29.81%
SouthWest 21 20.19%
Florida 20 19.23%
Megalopolis 57 54.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm not so much worried about the difference in definition as to the fact that BosWash is the only region where i see that many major metropolises that close that run into each other immediately.

There aren't "plenty" only a few buffer zones between each metro that last for maybe 50 miles max and some much less, more like 30 miles... In fact i could go as far down as Richmond and Va Beach and say that the relative development throughout exists all the way up to Boston. With some gaps of course being a 500 mile or more stretch. But gaps of no more than 30-50 miles in any area between Southern VA to technically New Hampshire.

I noticed people mentioning the Midwest but Virginia along the 95 cooridor alone even with it's dead spots between Ricmond and Nova or Richmond and Tidewater, are not as long and harsh as say Ohio Turnpike between Toledo and Cleveland or I-96 across Michigan from Detroit to Grand Rapids, it's dead out there! For milessssssssssss!
Part of this exercise is knowing the difference between megalopolis, megapolitan, and mega region. If you're not worried about it then you're missing the point of the thread. This article I think is one of few that does a great job explaining the relationship and roles of metropolitan economies, statistical areas, and the nuance that exists among them and regional identity. As someone else pointed out there should be a focus on cooperation among metro areas and this focus can help focus money to areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
Piedmont Atlantic??? Maybe Just Atlanta THAT'S IT!
My vote is for the Texas Triangle!
I know that many have stated their criticism of the emerging Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. I will say that the criticism is warranted and even plausible. However, I think to go as far as to say the because other regions are not as dense as BosWash that they are not a Megaregion is a bit disingenuous and perhaps illustrates some ignorance on other areas and what a megapolitan is referring to. The Southeast is experiencing some tremendous growth and economic renaissance in certain metros. To name a few Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Nashville to name a few. Notice that some of these metros experiencing a boom in burgeoning states of GA and NC (you may have noticed these areas have gained seats due to the population growth) are concentrated in the areas of Raleigh, Charlotte, and Atlanta. I have a map from the census of 2000 of population density of counties. Notice that most of the areas that have the highest density are also highlighted in the article as emerging megapolitan areas. If you notice the same color of the Northeast is also seen in PAM areas as well as some others. You will also notice some gaps in the Texas Triangle that are not as extensive as the PAM. I do want to make clear that I am not saying that PAM is as dense or will ever be as dense as BosWash, but I am saying by looking at this map, before Charlotte and Raleigh really took off, you can see that perhaps PAM might have a plausible argument to be considered a megapolitan and Megaregion.
Attached Thumbnails
What Are America's Megapolitan Areas?-image.jpg  

Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Each region @ same zoom level.

BosWash Census Dotmap

Great Lakes Census Dotmap

California Census Dotmap

Florida Census Dotmap

Texas Tri Census Dotmap

Piedmont Census Dotmap

Cascadia Census Dotmap

Sun Corridor Census Dotmap

Front Range Census Dotmap

Gulf Census Dotmap

Twin Cities Census Dotmap

Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Each region @ same zoom level.

BosWash Census Dotmap

Great Lakes Census Dotmap

California Census Dotmap

Florida Census Dotmap

Texas Tri Census Dotmap

Piedmont Census Dotmap

Cascadia Census Dotmap

Sun Corridor Census Dotmap

Front Range Census Dotmap

Gulf Census Dotmap

Twin Cities Census Dotmap
Nice post. It is even more up to date than the map I posted.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM

Another interesting article that describes the 23 megapolitan areas. The map does a better job of showing which megapolitan areas form which mega regions.

Megapolitan areas compete globally

Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Another interesting article that describes the 23 megapolitan areas. The map does a better job of showing which megapolitan areas form which mega regions.

Megapolitan areas compete globally
I'm curious to know what the square mileage is of these different areas.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I'm curious to know what the square mileage is of these different areas.
It depends on the definition. Piedmont Atlantic is the largest around 119k I believe, and believe BosWash (megalopolis) is around 79k

Old 03-14-2014, 07:35 AM

Here is an article in The Atlantic discussing mega regions. This adds some light to the discussion of global planning in America's economic regions.

The Dozen Regional Powerhouses Driving the U.S. Economy - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Here is an article in The Atlantic discussing mega regions. This adds some light to the discussion of global planning in America's economic regions.

The Dozen Regional Powerhouses Driving the U.S. Economy - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities
Interesting article, but I think they are overly generous with some regions. Their map with the overlaid megaregions and their respective economic outputs is also funny, because it's not quite to scale and makes these metro areas look WAY bigger!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Interesting article, but I think they are overly generous with some regions. Their map with the overlaid megaregions and their respective economic outputs is also funny, because it's not quite to scale and makes these metro areas look WAY bigger!
I would have to say that when it comes to the mega region concept that Richard Florida is quite the sensational bit his research does bring something's to light and he gives some good reason for metros to foster cooperation between each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City