Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are America's Mega Regions
Cascadia 22 21.15%
Sierra Pacific 13 12.50%
Piedmont Atlantic 16 15.38%
Mountain 3 2.88%
Twin Cities 2 1.92%
Great Lakes 33 31.73%
Texas Triangle 31 29.81%
SouthWest 21 20.19%
Florida 20 19.23%
Megalopolis 57 54.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times

Advertisements

Megapolitan America: A New Vision for Urban and Regional Planning: Places: Design Observer

I think this is a great article that really defines the USAs megapolitan areas. Read this article and tell me if agree. Does the USA have 23 megapolitan areas that form 10 mega-regions or is this article far fetched? I am familiar with the Piedmont Atlantic and I can tell it is pretty spot on. I think it does a great job characterizing the the 3 different areas of the Northeast mega-region: the Chesapeake, mid-Atlantic, and New England. So here are the different megapolitan. Feel free to add your reasoning for why certain areas are or aren't mega regions:
Cascadia:Puget Sound, Willamette Sound
Sierra Pacific (Bay Area, Sacramento)
SouthWest: Southern California, Las VegasSun Corridor
Mountain: Front Range, Wasatch Range
Texas Triangle: DFW, Houston, Central Texas
Great Lakes: Ohio Valley, Steel Corridor, Michigan Corridor, Chicago
Twin Cities
Megalopolis: New England, NYC/Phily, Chesapeake
Piedmont Atlantic: Carolina Piedmont, Georgia Piedmont
Florida: Florida Atlantic, Central Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Megapolitan America: A New Vision for Urban and Regional Planning: Places: Design Observer

I think this is a great article that really defines the USAs megapolitan areas. Read this article and tell me if agree. Does the USA have 23 megapolitan areas that form 10 mega-regions or is this article far fetched? I am familiar with the Piedmont Atlantic and I can tell it is pretty spot on. I think it does a great job characterizing the the 3 different areas of the Northeast mega-region: the Chesapeake, mid-Atlantic, and New England. So here are the different megapolitan. Feel free to add your reasoning for why certain areas are or aren't mega regions:
Cascadia:Puget Sound, Willamette Sound
Sierra Pacific (Bay Area, Sacramento)
SouthWest: Southern California, Las VegasSun Corridor
Mountain: Front Range, Wasatch Range
Texas Triangle: DFW, Houston, Central Texas
Great Lakes: Ohio Valley, Steel Corridor, Michigan Corridor, Chicago
Twin Cities
Megalopolis: New England, NYC/Phily, Chesapeake
Piedmont Atlantic: Carolina Piedmont, Georgia Piedmont
Florida: Florida Atlantic, Central Florida
I can tell most people did not read the article. Seeing as how Megalopolis only has one vote which is the BosWash region. Here is a map.
What Are America's Megapolitan Areas?-image.jpg

Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
I don't agree about a Twin Cities "Megapolitan."

Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Bos-Wash and SoCal and that's about it. Beyond those two areas I'd say revisit the subject in about 30-50 years. Some of these "corridors" seem very disjointed.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,399 times
Some of these are a huge stretch. Denver and Salt Lake City are separated by hundreds of miles of mountains. Southern California is FAR more connected to the Bay Area than it is to Phoenix. And I'm not sure how Pittsburgh can be lumped in with Chicago.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I don't agree about a Twin Cities "Megapolitan."
The way that megapolitan is defined, it pretty much is the new CSA. It seems that the CSA of the Twin Cities will be over 5 million by 2030

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 AM

603 posts, read 931,293 times
Quote:
I can tell most people did not read the article. Seeing as how Megalopolis only has one vote which is the BosWash region. Here is a map.
Attachment 125956
Are you expecting scientific results? You will be disappointed. People vote on online polls in ways that reflect their own opinions and agendas.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
ny/ philly and la/sd really

lesser extent sf/sac

that's about it.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Are you expecting scientific results? You will be disappointed. People vote on online polls in ways that reflect their own opinions and agendas.
This much is true. I think that this article is probably the most scientific I've seen on the subject.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
The way that megapolitan is defined, it pretty much is the new CSA. It seems that the CSA of the Twin Cities will be over 5 million by 2030
I don't disagree about there being a Twin Cities CSA. However, they talk a lot about "megaclusters" and networks of cities...When I think of a cluster of cities, I think of areas with major metro areas within proximity of each other (Philly/NYC/DC/Boston or LA/SD/Tijuana or SF/San Jose/Oakland or even Chicago/Milwaukee). Regardless of there being a Twin Cities CSA, there isn't another major metro area around for miles and miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City