Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are America's Mega Regions
Cascadia 22 21.15%
Sierra Pacific 13 12.50%
Piedmont Atlantic 16 15.38%
Mountain 3 2.88%
Twin Cities 2 1.92%
Great Lakes 33 31.73%
Texas Triangle 31 29.81%
SouthWest 21 20.19%
Florida 20 19.23%
Megalopolis 57 54.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

None of these places see the population, the density, nor GDP of the NE megalopolis. High Speed Rail most likely will reach that cooridor first, which will further connect the region like nowhere else in the Western Hemisphere. I just don't see the connectivity in other parts of the country that resemble a true "Megapolitan" area or "Megalopolis" region outside of BosWash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
If I had to rank them. . .

Boswash

Great lakes

California

Florida

Texas tri / Piedmont - tie

The rest I just don 't see as being megaregions. Even the Texas triangle and Piedmont have huge areas of low density.
Well. All of them do outside of BosWash.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:52 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
None of these places see the population, the density, nor GDP of the NE megalopolis. High Speed Rail most likely will reach that cooridor first, which will further connect the region like nowhere else in the Western Hemisphere. I just don't see the connectivity in other parts of the country that resemble a true "Megapolitan" area or "Megalopolis" region outside of BosWash.
Megapolitan and Megalopolis are two different things.

And there is plenty of open spaces between Boston and DC. You arent Coruscant.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Maybe I missed something, but I don't fully understand what the poll's goal is. Are we voting which mega-region we live in, are we voting to decide which mega-regions should exist? I'm lost.

To the article's point, I think this is the right direction. Regional cooperation is the way to go in planning for the future. America is past due for high speed rail connectivity as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Megapolitan and Megalopolis are two different things.

And there is plenty of open spaces between Boston and DC. You arent Coruscant.
I'm not so much worried about the difference in definition as to the fact that BosWash is the only region where i see that many major metropolises that close that run into each other immediately.

There aren't "plenty" only a few buffer zones between each metro that last for maybe 50 miles max and some much less, more like 30 miles... In fact i could go as far down as Richmond and Va Beach and say that the relative development throughout exists all the way up to Boston. With some gaps of course being a 500 mile or more stretch. But gaps of no more than 30-50 miles in any area between Southern VA to technically New Hampshire.

I noticed people mentioning the Midwest but Virginia along the 95 cooridor alone even with it's dead spots between Ricmond and Nova or Richmond and Tidewater, are not as long and harsh as say Ohio Turnpike between Toledo and Cleveland or I-96 across Michigan from Detroit to Grand Rapids, it's dead out there! For milessssssssssss!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM

157 posts, read 296,821 times
Piedmont Atlantic??? Maybe Just Atlanta THAT'S IT!
My vote is for the Texas Triangle!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
Piedmont Atlantic??? Maybe Just Atlanta THAT'S IT!
Try again.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM

157 posts, read 296,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Try again.
NO !!
Charlotte and the Piedmont of North Carolina is no contest in this sorry!
And I've lived in Fayetteville, NC for 4 years, very familiar with the Carolinas.. decently metropolitan like but NO Match for the rest of that list sorry...

Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
NO !!
Charlotte and the Piedmont of North Carolina is not contest in this sorry!
And I've lived in Fayetteville, NC for 4 years, very familiar with the Carolinas.. decently metropolitan like but NO Match for the rest of that list sorry...
The Piedmont includes much more than just North Carolina, and Charlotte has the second largest economy in this region. It's very consistent and important. There would be no Piedmont Atlantic without it.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well. All of them do outside of BosWash.
I know what you mean, but this is how I see it. . .

California makes up for those areas with the "megacity" of LA and all that surrounds it. Then you have the Bay Area that hits hard for its size, with Sac Town very close in proximity.

Same with the Great Lakes region. You have an almost "megacity" in Chicago(I'm using the 10 million criteria when talking "megacity") with a plethora of other major metro areas relatively close.

South Florida with Central Florida(As defined in the article) is a small area with a high population, so I don't see where you could call that "not dense".

Texas Triangle, you have the huge Dallas metroplex that doesn't have any consistent development between the other huge Houston metro. Then you have Austin and San Antonio that aren't close to either one of the other huge metro's.

Piedmont, well you have the almighty Atlanta with its little sister Charlotte, then a bunch of loosely knit together minor metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City