Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are America's Mega Regions
Cascadia 22 21.15%
Sierra Pacific 13 12.50%
Piedmont Atlantic 16 15.38%
Mountain 3 2.88%
Twin Cities 2 1.92%
Great Lakes 33 31.73%
Texas Triangle 31 29.81%
SouthWest 21 20.19%
Florida 20 19.23%
Megalopolis 57 54.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to see on this map just how close the Megapolitan and Piedmont Atlantic really are to joining. They are only separated by a small swath of NE North Carolina between Raleigh and the VA Tidewater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Some of these are a huge stretch. Denver and Salt Lake City are separated by hundreds of miles of mountains. Southern California is FAR more connected to the Bay Area than it is to Phoenix. And I'm not sure how Pittsburgh can be lumped in with Chicago.
Yeah, Chicago and Pittsburg are quite far apart and don't associate with one another directly as far as I can really tell.

I would rather think of it that there are 3 fairly dense corridors that tend to run into one another or butt up against each other.

1) Madison/Milwaukee/Rockford-Janesville-Beloit/Chicago/Michigan City/South Bend/Ft. Wayne/Kalamazoo-Battle Creek-Jackson/Grand Rapids-Holland-Muskeegan/Lansing/Flint/Detroit-Ann Arbor/Toledo

That area is roughly 23+ million people and the cities line up fairly close with Lake Michigan separating in the middle.

Detroit-Ann Arbor/Toledo/Sandusky/Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown/Warren/Pittsburgh

That area is roughly 13+ million lined up, especially from Cleveland through Pittsburgh.

Then just to the south of that line of cities you have Indianapolis/Dayton/Cincinatti/Columbus that's another 8 million that forms a triangle with 100 mile long segments and Dayton sitting in the middle with its 1,000,000 metro.

It's fairly spread out, but it wasn't until I started taking car trips from Chicago to places east that I realized how much is in that region from Chicago/Milwaukee/Indianapolis over to the east towards Pittsburgh/Cincinnati

Old 02-25-2014, 02:36 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, Chicago and Pittsburg are quite far apart and don't associate with one another directly as far as I can really tell.

I would rather think of it that there are 3 fairly dense corridors that tend to run into one another or butt up against each other.

1) Madison/Milwaukee/Rockford-Janesville-Beloit/Chicago/Michigan City/South Bend/Ft. Wayne/Kalamazoo-Battle Creek-Jackson/Grand Rapids-Holland-Muskeegan/Lansing/Flint/Detroit-Ann Arbor/Toledo

That area is roughly 23+ million people and the cities line up fairly close with Lake Michigan separating in the middle.

Detroit-Ann Arbor/Toledo/Sandusky/Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown/Warren/Pittsburgh

That area is roughly 13+ million lined up, especially from Cleveland through Pittsburgh.

Then just to the south of that line of cities you have Indianapolis/Dayton/Cincinatti/Columbus that's another 8 million that forms a triangle with 100 mile long segments and Dayton sitting in the middle with its 1,000,000 metro.

It's fairly spread out, but it wasn't until I started taking car trips from Chicago to places east that I realized how much is in that region from Chicago/Milwaukee/Indianapolis over to the east towards Pittsburgh/Cincinnati
That is basically what the article is getting at. That there are several dense corridors in the country and some of these corridors join together to form larger regions.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,833 times
Only LA/SD/TJ (you can also include PHX, LV) and BosWash that's it

Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,874 times
If I had to rank them. . .

Boswash

Great lakes

California

Florida

Texas tri / Piedmont - tie

The rest I just don 't see as being megaregions. Even the Texas triangle and Piedmont have huge areas of low density.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,639 times
I don't understand the whole Twin Cities megapolitan area thing either. We are fairly isolated, so there isn't really a need for us to be part of one, but if anything we should be lumped with the Great Lakes (as the Twin Cities officially are), considering they are only a little over 2 hours from Lake Superior and the location follows the line of population from Chicago to Madison, Eau Claire, Rochester, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Duluth.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Some of these are a huge stretch. Denver and Salt Lake City are separated by hundreds of miles of mountains. Southern California is FAR more connected to the Bay Area than it is to Phoenix.
True, but I would like to see a bullet train connect Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego and Las Vegas. Especially SoCal to Vegas. That would be incredible.

Anyway, NorCal and SoCal are each other's biggest trading partners for sure, but they are evolving more into independent mega areas than connected as one, which most demographers never saw happening only 20 years ago but it makes sense in hindsight.

In any event, I made this map during a discussion in another forum discussing superregional economies and it's pretty amazing that a single non-national political administrative area(in this case a state) has 2 such economies.

As far as I could tell through research, California is the only non-national level government to have 2 regional economies that are this big(1.1 Trillion and 750 Billion), anywhere in the world.

2012 GDP Northern California and Southern California Mega Regions.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 AM

60 posts, read 80,833 times
Southwest? that is too wide of a definition, you can only speak of California.

I totally see Southern ans Northern California merging into one gigalopolis within the next 75 to 100 years, maybe even less, the cities in the central valley are expanding at a rapid rate so sooner or later there will be one continous urbanized area from Sacramento down to Bakersfield just outside LA metro area. You can already see that on the map above.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True, but I would like to see a bullet train connect Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego and Las Vegas. Especially SoCal to Vegas. That would be incredible.

Anyway, NorCal and SoCal are each other's biggest trading partners for sure, but they are evolving more into independent mega areas than connected as one, which most demographers never saw happening only 20 years ago but it makes sense in hindsight.

In any event, I made this map during a discussion in another forum discussing superregional economies and it's pretty amazing that a single non-national political administrative area(in this case a state) has 2 such economies.

As far as I could tell through research, California is the only non-national level government to have 2 regional economies that are this big(1.1 Trillion and 750 Billion), anywhere in the world.

2012 GDP Northern California and Southern California Mega Regions.
If you're referring to solely within the state I would have to agree. Texas is another I think of with Houston apart of the Texas Triangle and the Gulf. Houston may be the only MSA that is included in two mega regions.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Southwest? that is too wide of a definition, you can only speak of California.

I totally see Southern ans Northern California merging into one gigalopolis within the next 75 to 100 years, maybe even less, the cities in the central valley are expanding at a rapid rate so sooner or later there will be one continous urbanized area from Sacramento down to Bakersfield just outside LA metro area. You can already see that on the map above.
I don't think this will ever happen due to geography. Most of the area in between is national parks or farm land. If gov did not to step in, I'm sure people would attempt to build scenic houses all the way down the CA coast.

I could see the area in Yolo county, etc becoming more developed between SF/Sac/Davis ... also the area around the military base around LA/SD becoming more developed.. outside of that, just not seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City