Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Of course the ones in D.C. What other city would be building ugly buildings in America?
I am pretty sure that poster wasn't responding to us, but was responding to the title of this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I think D.C. has some of the nicest architecture in the U.S. Much better than a lot of the Generica crap that's seen a lot in America.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=altam...2.84,,0,-11.92
It doesn't look like this building is exactly in an appealing or urban part of the city to be honest. I'd rather live in a generic looking building closer to civilization than in the middle of a field

Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times
The Verizon Center benefits from being in a hybrid (Gallery Place) of a downtown neighborhood that boasts a multitude of restaurants, clubs, retail, commercial and residential buildings. The area has a good daytime vibe from all of the office workers and tourists in the area and then after five, it becomes a nightlife district. So it is always vibrant day and night. It also helps that it sits on top of one on Metro's busiest subway stations. Wriggleyville is not a good comparison.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The Verizon Center benefits from being in a hybrid (Gallery Place) of a downtown neighborhood that boasts a multitude of restaurants, clubs, retail, commercial and residential buildings. The area has a good daytime vibe from all of the office workers and tourists in the area and then after five, it becomes a nightlife district. So it is always vibrant day and night. It also helps that it sits on top of one on Metro's busiest subway stations. Wriggleyville is not a good comparison.
DC I don't always agree with you but on this I most definitely do

Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

I recently posted this vid in the Toronto section of CD and it gives a good perspective of T.O's built form and vertical residential densification in and around the Downtown core. video taken with a really cool mini drone.

DJI Phantom flying to the CN Tower - Toronto - YouTube

Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Gallery Place is about to see an explosion in foot traffic at a level D.C. has never seen on a consistent basis with the opening of City Center DC and the Marriot Convention Center Hotel. It's already live 24/7 but it's about to be on a different level. I want to try to see if there is a foot count once all that stuff is open and functioning.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
on this topic which Times Squarish area is more vibrant the Toronto or DC incarnation

And do any have an area as pedestrian heavy an area as union square area say like Powell to Market, to me Chicago is pretty close in some areas and DC a little behind cant comment on Toronto really but seems pretty vibrant based on what I can tell

I know Toronto the least the others pretty well

Old 04-18-2014, 12:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,986 times
One hundred thousand pedestrians pass through the Yonge-Dundas intersection per day. Dundas Square itself is usually packed with people and activity when the weather is agreeable.

Toronto isn't really going to get a fair shake in this poll since most of the participating posters are American and don't know anything about the city. Oh well.

Last edited by Atticman; 04-18-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
on this topic which Times Squarish area is more vibrant the Toronto or DC incarnation

And do any have an area as pedestrian heavy an area as union square area say like Powell to Market, to me Chicago is pretty close in some areas and DC a little behind cant comment on Toronto really but seems pretty vibrant based on what I can tell

I know Toronto the least the others pretty well
Yonge/Dundas square is pretty vibrant. In the nice weather it is very common to see free concerts and a bunch of different activities going on including amateur boxing matches, outdoor art galleries and trade shows etc. Its also a focal point for many of the cities festivals.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=yonge...w=1438&bih=651

Yonge/Dundas intersection is the busiest intersection for ped traffic in Canada.

Nathan Phillips Square which is right beside Toronto City council is also a busy square and a great place to ice skate in the winter.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=natha...w=1438&bih=651

Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I've compared these four cities before but not in this sense and this IS for personal gain (as I look far and wide for a semi-permanent place to call home, I'm keeping all options open). So please, City-Data, don't mess this one up too.
"So please, City-Data, don't mess this one up too." A lot of talk, a real vague question...

My choice in order:

1. San Francisco - If I had the money, I would prefer San Francisco. The weather is nicer than the other areas. I have temporarily lived and worked in San Francisco for over six months in the past.

2. Washington DC - Worked in the area for over ten years. Even commuted from New Mexico for several months. Why? The money and a lot of activities and places to eat. Close to Baltimore and Annapolis Maryland. Use to fly to Ft Lauderdale for a few days for less than $200 airfare.

3. Chicago - I have met a lot of people from Chicago, but not many in Chicago when I had to go there on business trips 10 to 15 times per year. I think my boss use to send me when the weather was bad so he wouldn't have to go.

4. Toronto - Only been twice in my life, once as a child and once on a two day business trip. It looked promising, but I did not get to do much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City