Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

I voted for New England since there are some great breweries here that I love (Clown Shoes, Mayflower, Allagash, Cisco, etc.), but Pac NW gets my number 2 vote (Denver and Great Lakes a tossup for 3rd).

Outside of the NW I've found the West Coast to leave a bit to be desired. Too reliant on the IPA and hoppier beers for my tastes (I don't dislike hoppy beers but like more variety). I'm sure there are some notable breweries in the SE, but I've yet to try anything great from that region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 PM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
I am going to have to go New England followed by NW.

New England has an incredible amount of variety, a few favorite breweries in each NE State:

Massachusetts:

Trillium
Spencer
Jacks Abbey
CBC
Pretty Things
Clown Shoes
Berkshire
Wormtown
Night Shift
Slumbrew
Idle Hands

Maine:

Foundation
Maine Beer Company
Allagash
Baxter
Shipyard

CT:

Thimble Island
Berr'd
Relic

Vermont:

Alchemist
Farmstead
Grassroots
Otter Creek
Zero Gravity
Long Trail

New Hampshire:

Smuttynose
Redhook
Stoneface

Rhode Island:

Proclamation
Revival

New England also has current bragging rights on Beer Advocate as having the number 1 rated beer in the world, Heady Topper from Alchemist Brewery in Vermont. I can say without a doubt it is one of the finest beers I have tasted ever. Wish it was easier to get a hold of.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
You know, I don't get the Heady Topper love. It's nice, but is just another all hops explosion beer to me.

I'll even take Switchback for drinkability, or definitely some of the Berkshire Brewing Co beers (I think the best MA brewery (Pretty Things has fallen way off)) over it... not that HT is knocking my door down.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Well hard to vote in poll, cause I like northern California up to Seattle and east to Missoula and that is 3 different regions.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Well hard to vote in poll, cause I like northern California up to Seattle and east to Missoula and that is 3 different regions.
Western Montana = PNW

Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused but the Great Lakes region coming in first so far. I've never heard of it referred to as a craft beer hub.
It is!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
I voted Great Lakes (New Glarus, Two Brothers, Three Floyds, Rolling Meadows, Ale Asylum, Bell's, Surly, Great Lakes, etc.), but Pac NW is really great, too.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I voted for New England since there are some great breweries here that I love (Clown Shoes, Mayflower, Allagash, Cisco, etc.), but Pac NW gets my number 2 vote (Denver and Great Lakes a tossup for 3rd).

Outside of the NW I've found the West Coast to leave a bit to be desired. Too reliant on the IPA and hoppier beers for my tastes (I don't dislike hoppy beers but like more variety). I'm sure there are some notable breweries in the SE, but I've yet to try anything great from that region.
Jai Alai from Miami or Tampa I believe is really good

Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You know, I don't get the Heady Topper love. It's nice, but is just another all hops explosion beer to me.

I'll even take Switchback for drinkability, or definitely some of the Berkshire Brewing Co beers (I think the best MA brewery (Pretty Things has fallen way off)) over it... not that HT is knocking my door down.
You find Heady too hoppy? I love hoppy beers, but I find Heady very drinkable actually. Its a Double IPA, so you are going to get some bitterness and boozy type flavor, but overall I find so many other beers more hoppy than Heady.

I have to also disagree about Pretty Things falling off. Between the Baby Tree, 1939, Saint Botolph's and the standard Jack D'or, it keeps me pretty engaged.

Berkshire is a great brewery though, no dispute there. What do you think of Trillium?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I've had Trillium, but I'm not recalling anything particular about it.

And yeah, there are beers more hoppy than HT, but I don't understand that fascination... I can drink a few Lagunitas or Baxters or whatever, but then I'm kind of grossed out by the hops after a couple. Just not a super hops lover. I'm in active avoiding IPA mode now, but often one of those, or Sierra Nevada PA are the only decent beers in some places during the summer when all the shandy junk hits the taps.

Pretty Things Field Mouse is excellent, I just never see it anymore... and I liked the White Rabbit one... their darker stuff I just don't like too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City