Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City MOST like Los Angeles?
Austin 3 1.44%
Raleigh 2 0.96%
San Antonio 6 2.88%
Houston 83 39.90%
Dallas 18 8.65%
Denver 13 6.25%
Orlando 6 2.88%
Salt Lake City 2 0.96%
Oklahoma City 5 2.40%
Miami 70 33.65%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
San Jose, Phoenix, and even San Diego lack the cultural amenities and big-city feel of LA...other than layout and geography, there really aren't many similarities between those cities and LA. Miami has a similar layout to LA, but also the big-city feel, the diversity, the cultural amenities, and the laid-back beachy lifestyle that resonates most with LA out of any of these cities.
Miami might be the only city on that list that would come even close to LA in terms of amenities to be fair. But I don't think the OP is looking for something that can go toe to toe with LA that's just unrealistic. Of all my travels I really think Phoenix and its residents and their lifestyles resemble southern Californians more than any city listed. I don't want people to think that i'm saying Phoenix is LAs equivalent, but from a microcosm perspective I can't see it any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM

353 posts, read 656,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Miami might be the only city on that list that would come even close to LA in terms of amenities to be fair. But I don't think the OP is looking for something that can go toe to toe with LA that's just unrealistic. Of all my travels I really think Phoenix and its residents and their lifestyles resemble southern Californians more than any city listed. I don't want people to think that i'm saying Phoenix is LAs equivalent, but from a microcosm perspective I can't see it any different.
Pretty much nailed it.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
San Diego.

Where are you people going with this? How the heck is somewhere 3,000 miles away more like Los Angeles than somewhere just 80 miles south of it on nearly identical terrain? Identical climate. Identical integration. Identical immigration patterns. Identical industries (Tech Coast, Seaports, Aerospace, Educational Institutions, so on). Identical and shared histories. Identical cuisines. Identical values in outdoor recreation. Identical terrain leading to identical natural risks and rewards. Identical infrastructure.

San Diego isn't on the list but neither is Phoenix, yet there's been pages of a debate of whether or not it's really Phoenix or not. I'm actually surprised more haven't said the logical choice, San Diego.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-19-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
San Diego.

Where are you people going with this? How the heck is somewhere 3,000 miles away more like Los Angeles than somewhere just 80 miles south of it on nearly identical terrain? Identical climate. Identical integration. Identical immigration patterns. Identical industries (Tech Coast, Seaports, Aerospace, Educational Institutions, so on). Identical and shared histories. Identical cuisines. Identical values in outdoor recreation. Identical terrain leading to identical natural risks and rewards. Identical infrastructure.

San Diego isn't on the list but neither is Phoenix, yet there's been pages of a debate of whether or not it's really Phoenix or not. I'm actually surprised more haven't said the logical choice, San Diego.
San Diego has the climate and geography of LA but that's about it. Its like a cleaner, smaller, whiter, less cultural, more conservative, theme park version of LA. Which is to say completely different. I wouldn't want to give up LA for SD, but there are exactly 3 things about San Diego I'm jealous of:

1. Downtown is right on the water
2. Balboa Park
3. Quality of new residential construction seems to be higher there

Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
I voted for Minneapolis. If you don't count the cold winters, green landscape, Norwegian heritage, prairies and lakes instead of ocean and mountains, then they are pretty much the same place.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
San Diego.

I said San Diego... even though San Diego is still very different from L.A. Still, it has more in common with L.A. than Phoenix, or any of these other cities in the poll.

L.A. Is just too... L.A. to be like anywhere else.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:46 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexico View Post
LA = Mexico

lol

Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I've heard Scottsdale is known as the "Miami of the West" due to its vibrant shopping, nightlife, dining, and fashion scene.
I heard the same thing. I'd love to visit Scottsdale--though I'd be more interested in the hiking around there than any fashion or nightlife.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I heard the same thing. I'd love to visit Scottsdale--though I'd be more interested in the hiking around there than any fashion or nightlife.
A bit to the north in Sedona the hiking is mindblowing. Like a miniature grand canyon but greener.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 AM

603 posts, read 931,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I choose other

Phoenix.
I was looking for Phoenix as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City