Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,023,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah media wise it's a no brainer. But most of those companies you named have most films, and shows, award shows, filmed or about Los Angeles. Also in LA theres warner bros, universal(movies not NBCuniversal, and most are filmed in CA), 20th century fox, dreamworks, MGM, DISNEY, DIC entertainment, all headquartered in LA. And MOST of NBC and ABC and all those televison studios shows are filmed in LA. LA forms alot of American POP culture. When imigrants think of America they think NYC statue of liberty and oppurtunites, BUT when they think American POP culture they think LA and CA. Just look at all the bollywoods, and kollywoods, in India and around the world.
as i think i stated before there are actually more movies about NYC or in the setting of NYC than LA. I have about 1100 DVDs and have seen way more movies than what i have on dvd plus movies from all the premium movie channels i have and i rarely see a movie about LA. Its a fact that NYC is more of a better choice to have a story than LA. Even in Books and advertisements i see NY more than LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
as i think i stated before there are actually more movies about NYC or in the setting of NYC than LA. I have about 1100 DVDs and have seen way more movies than what i have on dvd plus movies from all the premium movie channels i have and i rarely see a movie about LA. Its a fact that NYC is more of a better choice to have a story than LA. Even in Books and advertisements i see NY more than LA.
Goodpoint, BUT still the HOLLYWOOD image is still ingrained into MOST, Americans heads. Even alot of OLD movies like alll the old western cowboy movies that give a sereotypical image of American culture, all or MOST of those movie were filmed in or around LA. Most Americans or immigrants when they think of films they automatically think HOLLYWOOD LA, CA, that culture. Alot of American culture whether it be Cowboy culture, or Car culture, Surfing culture, or Valley girl, or Hippie Counterculture or Gangbanging Culture or whatever type of stereotypical american culture has ROOTS in LA. Most popculture shows or movies, wether it be Beverly Hills 90210, or Laguna Beach, or Movies such as Boyz N the Hood, or South Central. Or wether it be court cases like OJ Simpson, or the Rodney King beating. Even if there are alot of movies filmed in NYC MOST Americans have the whole HOLLYWOOD image in there mind and MOST Americasn go to LA for acting, although if BROADWAY is there thing than I guess NYC would be there destination. And you said there are thousands of movies that take place in NYC, there are thousand that take place in LA also. New York(TV personality) just had a show called New York goes to HOLLYWOOD.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,665 times
Overall, i give it to NYC for media/news, fashion, finance. LA wins in terms of entertainment.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

As for the media, excuse me for forgetting Ugly Betty, Law and Order, Sex and the City (not on anymore) and a few soap operas that tape in NYC. I guess Vancouver was also the greatest influence on the USA because The X-Files taped a few seasons there.
Typical.

Please look up the word "media". Media does not not = sitcoms and since you seem to have trouble grasping that simple 5th grade concept, I highly doubt you know much about New York City or cities in general so continuing the conversation is quite pointless.

Last edited by Americanboy; 02-10-2009 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 AM

We all know media wise NYC wins that battle, BUT popculture which reflects influence is dominated by LA.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,293,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Overall, i give it to NYC for media/news, fashion, finance. LA wins in terms of entertainment.
What about Broadway? Not entertainment?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
What about Broadway? Not entertainment?
Braodway is peanuts next to Movies/TV shoes produced in Hollywood. BTW, I picked NYC as the winner so settle down!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,293,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Braodway is peanuts next to Movies/TV shoes produced in Hollywood. BTW, I picked NYC as the winner so settle down!
Let a Midwesterner to New York and he will compain about lack of cornfields... Peanuts

The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, which includes Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Metropolitan Opera, the New York City Opera, the New York Philharmonic, the New York City Ballet, the Vivian Beaumont Theatre, the Juilliard School and Alice Tully Hall, is the largest performing arts center in the United States. Central Park SummerStage presents performances of free plays and music in Central Park and 1,200 free concerts, dance, and theater events across all five boroughs in the summer months.[119]

The city is also important in the American film industry. Manhatta (1920), an early avant-garde film, was filmed in the city.[116] Today, New York City is the second largest center for the film industry in the United States. The city has more than 2,000 arts and cultural organizations and more than 500 art galleries of all sizes.[117] The city government funds the arts with a larger annual budget than the National Endowment for the Arts.[117] Wealthy industrialists in the 19th century built a network of major cultural institutions, such as the famed Carnegie Hall and Metropolitan Museum of Art, that would become internationally established. The advent of electric lighting led to elaborate theatre productions, and in the 1880s New York City theaters on Broadway and along 42nd Street began showcasing a new stage form that came to be known as the Broadway musical.

New York is a global center for the television, advertising, music, newspaper and book publishing industries and is also the largest media market in North America (followed by Los Angeles, Chicago, and Toronto).[126]
Some of the city's media conglomerates include Time Warner, the News Corporation, the Hearst Corporation, and Viacom. Seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks are headquartered in New York.[127] Three of the "Big Four" record labels are also based in the city, as well as in Los Angeles.
One-third of all American independent films are produced in New York.[128] More than 200 newspapers and 350 consumer magazines have an office in the city[128] and the book-publishing industry employs about 25,000 people.[129]
Two of the three national daily newspapers in the United States are New York papers: The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. Major tabloid newspapers in the city include The New York Daily News and The New York Post, founded in 1801 by Alexander Hamilton.
The city also has a major ethnic press, with 270 newspapers and magazines published in more than 40 languages.[130] El Diario La Prensa is New York's largest Spanish-language daily and the oldest in the nation.[131] The New York Amsterdam News, published in Harlem, is a prominent African American newspaper.
The Village Voice is the largest alternative newspaper.

The television industry developed in New York and is a significant employer in the city's economy. The four major American broadcast networks, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, are all headquartered in New York.
Many cable channels are based in the city as well, including MTV, Fox News, HBO and Comedy Central. In 2005, there were more than 100 television shows taped in New York City.[132]
New York is also a major center for non-commercial media. The oldest public-access television channel in the United States is the Manhattan Neighborhood Network, founded in 1971.[133] WNET is the city's major public television station and a primary provider of national PBS programming. WNYC, a public radio station owned by the city until 1997, has the largest public radio audience in the United States.[134]

Broadway theatre, commonly called simply Broadway, refers to theatrical performances presented in one of the 39 large professional theaters with 500 seats or more located in the Theatre District, New York (plus one theatre in Lincoln Center) in Manhattan, New York City.[1][2] Along with London's West End theatre, Broadway theatre is usually considered to represent the highest level of commercial theatre in the English-speaking world.
The Broadway theatre district is a popular tourist attraction in New York City. According to The Broadway League, Broadway shows sold approximately $937 million worth of tickets in the 2007-08 season.[3]

Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Let a Midwesterner to New York and he will compain about lack of cornfields... Peanuts

The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, which includes Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Metropolitan Opera, the New York City Opera, the New York Philharmonic, the New York City Ballet, the Vivian Beaumont Theatre, the Juilliard School and Alice Tully Hall, is the largest performing arts center in the United States. Central Park SummerStage presents performances of free plays and music in Central Park and 1,200 free concerts, dance, and theater events across all five boroughs in the summer months.[119]

The city is also important in the American film industry. Manhatta (1920), an early avant-garde film, was filmed in the city.[116] Today, New York City is the second largest center for the film industry in the United States. The city has more than 2,000 arts and cultural organizations and more than 500 art galleries of all sizes.[117] The city government funds the arts with a larger annual budget than the National Endowment for the Arts.[117] Wealthy industrialists in the 19th century built a network of major cultural institutions, such as the famed Carnegie Hall and Metropolitan Museum of Art, that would become internationally established. The advent of electric lighting led to elaborate theatre productions, and in the 1880s New York City theaters on Broadway and along 42nd Street began showcasing a new stage form that came to be known as the Broadway musical.

New York is a global center for the television, advertising, music, newspaper and book publishing industries and is also the largest media market in North America (followed by Los Angeles, Chicago, and Toronto).[126]
Some of the city's media conglomerates include Time Warner, the News Corporation, the Hearst Corporation, and Viacom. Seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks are headquartered in New York.[127] Three of the "Big Four" record labels are also based in the city, as well as in Los Angeles.
One-third of all American independent films are produced in New York.[128] More than 200 newspapers and 350 consumer magazines have an office in the city[128] and the book-publishing industry employs about 25,000 people.[129]
Two of the three national daily newspapers in the United States are New York papers: The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. Major tabloid newspapers in the city include The New York Daily News and The New York Post, founded in 1801 by Alexander Hamilton.
The city also has a major ethnic press, with 270 newspapers and magazines published in more than 40 languages.[130] El Diario La Prensa is New York's largest Spanish-language daily and the oldest in the nation.[131] The New York Amsterdam News, published in Harlem, is a prominent African American newspaper.
The Village Voice is the largest alternative newspaper.

The television industry developed in New York and is a significant employer in the city's economy. The four major American broadcast networks, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, are all headquartered in New York.
Many cable channels are based in the city as well, including MTV, Fox News, HBO and Comedy Central. In 2005, there were more than 100 television shows taped in New York City.[132]
New York is also a major center for non-commercial media. The oldest public-access television channel in the United States is the Manhattan Neighborhood Network, founded in 1971.[133] WNET is the city's major public television station and a primary provider of national PBS programming. WNYC, a public radio station owned by the city until 1997, has the largest public radio audience in the United States.[134]

Broadway theatre, commonly called simply Broadway, refers to theatrical performances presented in one of the 39 large professional theaters with 500 seats or more located in the Theatre District, New York (plus one theatre in Lincoln Center) in Manhattan, New York City.[1][2] Along with London's West End theatre, Broadway theatre is usually considered to represent the highest level of commercial theatre in the English-speaking world.
The Broadway theatre district is a popular tourist attraction in New York City. According to The Broadway League, Broadway shows sold approximately $937 million worth of tickets in the 2007-08 season.[3]
MOST (not all) broadway shows dont become well-known outside NYC until they go to HOLLYWOOD and become full-legnth motion pictures.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Media=NYC
Pop culture=LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City