Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:26 PM

116 posts, read 245,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
If a movie is produced or filmed in LA then I would say it's an LA movie. There's a bunch of history. Don't have time to drive it home right now but maybe later. You are not seriously trying to imply that ny can compete with LA as the movie capitol. Are you? That's like blowing a gasket, online. Well if humanity has terrible assessment skills, that must include new yorkers. Freeways make my city look hideous? Your entire city stinks like pi-ss. There's gum, gunk, filth, spit, trash on all of your sidewalks. Even the air stinks like pi-ss! Who really wants to be locked up in an apartment with no yard? Not for me and not for most of America. LA music history is legendary. You want to talk history? Let's do it. I already know one of the first things out of your filthy mouth is going to be some ghetto music that has never been taken seriously--pure ghetto trash that nobody respects and that died out a long time ago. Bring it! I'll be sure to do the same.
I think the point is that New York actually **is** a city. Whereas LA is just a giant suburb.

Oh snap!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:34 PM

804 posts, read 2,403,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
I think the point is that New York actually **is** a city. Whereas LA is just a giant suburb.

Oh snap!

So what! it's not always about buildings all the time and just for your information LA is looking a something like a mini Tokyo lately with all those hi-rises

Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
So what! it's not always about buildings all the time and just for your information LA is looking a something like a mini Tokyo lately with all those hi-rises
Hey man I love LA. I just got back from there a couple weeks ago. But LA does look like a giant suburb compared to Chicago, let alone New F'ing York. LA's strength isn't feeling like a big city or having highrises, so don't play to it.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,024,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
What high-rises?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
You might as well start carrying around some sparklers and whatever else lame-o fireworks they sell these days.

The numbers DON'T LIE:
LAC 11,000,000
nyc 8,000,000

CA 38,000,000
ny 18,000,000

You ny'ers need to accept reality. You found somebody BIGGER! It's funny because in some ways, ny is like LA's neurotic lil brother. We don't pay attention but you are always trying to get our attention and win our acceptance. It's like you guys are trying to tackle us but instead you just bounce right off--nobody pays any attention.
Speaking of reality. Why are you comparing an entire county to a city?

---

Metropolitan New York
Population: 21,199,865
NYC CMSA: New York, Northern New Jersey, Long Island (NY NJ CT PA) Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area

Metropolatin Los Angeles
Population: 16,373,645
LA CMSA: Los Angeles Consolidated Metropolitan Stastical Area, California

---

Northeastern Corridor combined MSA, 4 hour radius from New York
Population: 55,437,044
BosWash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern California combined MSA, 4 hour radius from LA
Population: 23,044,650
Southern California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---

Satellite at Night

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-27-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,283,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post

Oh snap!

You're right about LA being GIANT!

ny is on an 4 separate ISLANDS. Not even one cohesive unit, like LA.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM

37,225 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Los Angeles has a decent collection of high-rises and skyscrapers, but not as many as one would expect of such a large, American city. That said, the collection along Wilshire Blvd, Downtown, and Century City are prett nice.

As for LA not having a city feel, that's true for large tracts of it, but it's also got several dense and walkable neighborhoods--it is far from being all suburban sprawl.

Los Angeles is a great city, and it's gotten much better in recent years. LA is influential, but it is not more so than NYC.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:

I would hardly call LA "cohesive." It's like a giant suburb with no one walking around on the streets, like every suburb in America. There are probably more people walking around in Brooklyn than all of LA county.

And before you go on the defense I like LA way more than New York overall. But LA feels like a suburb no doubt. You can basically visit LA within New York's metro area by driving to NYC's suburbs.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM

37,225 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:

LA is not one cohesive unit. You aren't one of those angelenos that run their entire lives in one small loop, barely seeing the rest of the city are you? Then again, it's the same thing with most new yorkers.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times
Quote:

Well Russia is GIANT too! Does that make it a better country than where you live?

Oh and Venice is also built on separate ISLANDS.

Last edited by LINative; 06-26-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City