Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City would you Declare the "King of Hip Hop"?
New York City 87 51.79%
Chicago 6 3.57%
Houston 14 8.33%
Atlanta 29 17.26%
Miami 5 2.98%
New Orleans 3 1.79%
Los Angeles 17 10.12%
Detroit 3 1.79%
St Louis 4 2.38%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've lived both places. I can remember as far back to being 2 years old, which was 1986. I have really vivid memories from that time that even shock my parents. I've lived in both the city (Middle village, Maspeth, Astoria) and Long Island. My parents grew up in the city and lived there until I was a kid. They've told me about what it was like in the early 80s.
Okay. I can remember as far back as age two also, like when I learned the word "upset." I have a few memories from that far back. That would be 1979 for me. But its not like I can tell you from memory what life was like in the 70's based on my memories. A 2-year old's perspective is extremely limited. That doesn't give your view any more credibility over the dude you claimed was too young to understand. You also were too young to understand and got your relevant info second hand from your family. So that's cool your family lived in the city and all, but the other dudes info is just as credible as yours. Like I said, this was a matter of public record, not subjective opinion that was better known by white middle-class NYC residents who didn't have anything to do with the explosion of crack.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
ny is the safest big city in the country. you'd be in more "danger" in some rat hole like richmond, CA than in new york city. plus who brags about livin in dangerous places anyway. smh
Yeah I agree here. Richmond is about as scary a place as I've ever been. Sunnydale's was pretty much a tie for me with the Iron Triangle and North Richmond. Walking through those hoods is not an option.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
LOL, really??? I have been to NYC quite a few times, never went to the Bronx though. But I have spent some fun hot summer nights in East New York however, and from what my cousins tell me East New York is the end all be all as far as hoods go in NYC. So If I can go to a few block parties in the Pink Houses without being bothered, and take and walk a girl to the movies on Linden Blvd., all the way back to my aunts house on Warwick and Dumont without bieng bothered, then Im sure I will fair well in the South Bronx. Get over yourself, this is not 1987, NYC is not how it used to be. I go out of town allot and when I go visit my family in NYC I am not worried for my safety at all, however when I am in DC visiting friends I am worried for my safety, like I said I will walk thru the South Bronx all day with no worries. Now put me in the Trinidad area up in NE DC and thats a different story
I'm glad nothing happened to you, I don't really know what NYC was like in 1987 but it's still not great in 2009, I'm not gonna go into detail of what I've been through and seen throughout my life in NYC so this is just 2009.

Been through 3 shootouts in which I had to duck or run. I've seen someones chest tore open with there "noggin" out of their head. This isn't the first time I've seen a dead body. Last week there was a dead body outside the McDonald's, this is just 2009 which is only halfway done.

East New York is a very rundown neighborhood. Brownsville and Morrisania are the be all end all of NYC, East New York is very dangerous as well I go there all the time. I never feared for my life in any neighborhood in any city whether it's NYC, Philly, B'More, DC, Orlando, etc. I know DC has wild spots I used to live there but I never feared for my life.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm glad nothing happened to you, I don't really know what NYC was like in 1987 but it's still not great in 2009, I'm not gonna go into detail of what I've been through and seen throughout my life in NYC so this is just 2009.

Been through 3 shootouts in which I had to duck or run. I've seen someones chest tore open with there "noggin" out of their head. This isn't the first time I've seen a dead body. Last week there was a dead body outside the McDonald's, this is just 2009 which is only halfway done.

East New York is a very rundown neighborhood. Brownsville and Morrisania are the be all end all of NYC, East New York is very dangerous as well I go there all the time. I never feared for my life in any neighborhood in any city. I know DC has wild spots I used to live there but I never feared for my life.

What is your point??? The stuff you have mentioned is like almost a given for anyone who has grown up in an inner city anywhere in America. Im 25 and I didnt even really grow up in a real bad "hood", I came from a working class black area in SW Atlanta but yet still I have been robbed twice, been to countless house parties and school dances growing up that ended in shootouts, and my best friend growing up was murdered 3 weeks after we graduated from high school and just 1 month shy of both of us leaving to go to college. And all that was before I turned 18. And my neighborhood wasn't even half as bad as the ones that were around it. So once again what's your point??? Still trying to prove how tough NYC is??? It's not going to work, I travel to much and have been to many places like New Orleans, The D, Birmingham, Gary were it really is that rough to buy that "Big Bad Rotten Apple" image you NYC folks always try to sell.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
What is your point??? The stuff you have mentioned is like almost a given for anyone who has grown up in an inner city anywhere in America. Im 25 and I didnt even really grow up in a real bad "hood", I came from a working class black area in SW Atlanta but yet still I have been robbed twice, been to countless house parties and school dances growing up that ended in shootouts, and my best friend growing up was murdered 3 weeks after we graduated from high school and just 1 month shy of both of us leaving to go to college. And all that was before I turned 18. And my neighborhood wasn't even half as bad as the ones that were around it. So once again what's your point??? Still trying to prove how tough NYC is??? It's not going to work, I travel to much and have been to many places like New Orleans, Birmingham, Gary, IN were it really is that rough to buy that "Big Bad Rotten Apple" image you NYC folks always try to sell.

Kind of funny how you're saying something completely different now. You told me you lived in all the roughest neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Kind of funny how you're saying something completely different now. You told me you lived in all the roughest neighborhoods.

Please highlight were I ever said that??? I lived in a very rough part of DC while I was in school, but growing up in the A I never lived in the best areas, but they were not the worst either. Once again, please show me where I said that. I told you I moved around in between NW and SW Atlanta, I never said where. Stop trying to redeem yourself from that ether bomb I dropped on you yesterday

Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
You wouldnt survive in the South Bronx, I'll tell you that.
And you wouldn't survive in parts of Cleveland. This is a worthless debate. South Bronx is NOT the worst area in the US. There are far worse areas.. but NYCers have the perception that smaller = less dangerous. That is the stupidest rationale ever. About 100 of Cleveland's murders happen with in areas that make up a population of about 150,000 people.

And seriously dude, how old were you in the 80s? Are you seriously telling me you GREW UP and remember the 80s (meaning you were 10+ in age)? That means you are in your 30s STILL living with your parents in Va. Beach.. quite pathetic

Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
What is your point??? The stuff you have mentioned is like almost a given for anyone who has grown up in an inner city anywhere in America. Im 25 and I didnt even really grow up in a real bad "hood", I came from a working class black area in SW Atlanta but yet still I have been robbed twice, been to countless house parties and school dances growing up that ended in shootouts, and my best friend growing up was murdered 3 weeks after we graduated from high school and just 1 month shy of both of us leaving to go to college. And all that was before I turned 18. And my neighborhood wasn't even half as bad as the ones that were around it. So once again what's your point??? Still trying to prove how tough NYC is??? It's not going to work, I travel to much and have been to many places like New Orleans, Detroit, Gary were it really is that rough to buy that "Big Bad Rotten Apple" image you NYC folks always try to sell.
Yo my point is that you talking about "oh I'll walk through the South Bronx and nobody will bother me but I'll s*** on myself if I go to Northeast DC" that sounds wild stupid to me. I know many people who got killed or sent to jail too.

On another note I don't know too much about the early/mid 90's but I know the East and West coasts was beefin. In 2009 I f*** with both coast's music.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Most of these people are all talk.

I'd love to see you guys take a stroll through some of these neighborhoods and watch the outcome. Just because you grew up in NYC, don't mean you can survive everywhere else.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Yo my point is that you talking about "oh I'll walk through the South Bronx and nobody will bother me but I'll s*** on myself if I go to Northeast DC" that sounds wild stupid to me. I know many people who got killed or sent to jail too.

On another note I don't know too much about the early/mid 90's but I know the East and West coasts was beefin. In 2009 I f*** with both coast's music.

LOL @ s*** on myself if I walk thru NE DC, naw never that homie. Bottom Line NYC is not as hard as some of you from there seem to think it is. Further more just like I said in another thread, IDK how goons up in NYC even think about doing something illegal with all those police all over the place, let alone do anything. Most of you all seem to be living off the stigma that your city had 20 years ago that is now a distant memory. In 2009 NYC is as close to a police state as it gets, REAL TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City