Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,615 times

Advertisements

I know it isn't all of them but, when I visited Atlanta a couple times, many ATLiens seem pretty dang rude. Don't know if they were natives or transplants but either way. My friend, who lives there, doesn't like ATL either because thinks many people there are rude and disrespectful too. What ever happened to southern hospitality? I'm sure there are plenty of pleasant people there, I just haven't encountered many. Then again, I've only been there twice for a total of 5 days so....

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Collingswood, NJ.

Was in the Philadelphia area for a few days on business, and a few of us found ourselves over there by way of the sub-par (but very convenient) PATCO train.

After a passible dinner at a very average and friendly Italian place, we left for a few drinks at a cool looking pub a few doors down. I have never in my life been in contact with a meaner, more provincial group of people - just absolutely nasty and distrusting of anyone not already in their little "circle."

I don't usually judge a place by a singular situation, but everyone in our group (from varied areas of the country) felt the same.........

Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiloncanvas View Post
Polish people seems to be rude. I used to work waitress and tried to speak with few older ladies in english and they were surprised that I'm not speaking polish and acted so rude like 'how's that possible this one doesn't speak a word' and they couldn't stop complaining in their weird polish language. I thought it's just those two, but after a while there were more and more and more polish people and I can say all of them were extremely rude. Don't know what's with those people. And they never leave tips or say even 'dzenkuje' or smth. I know people in some countries never leave tips. So maybe that's way.

Anyways this summer I was visiting Warsaw, and was surprised to see some very kind people. So you never know. And country itself is changed very much after 10 years I was visiting. So people and things change.

Russians are rude. Someone mentioned up there that Eastern Europe like Riga, Vilnius, Budapest etc. seems to be rude. I don't know how in other countries, but in Vilnius and Riga customers service is rude 'cause there's virtually mostly russians working in that kind of positions.

Once visited St Petersburg and just getting of the bus with our luggage and stuff and saw the sign on a wall telling: 'You will never want to come back to this place'. lol I can say that sign told truth. Rude people, scary country.

No offense. Just my own experiences.
There's a 19th-century quote about Russia to the effect that if you are unhappy with wherever it is you live, move to Russia. After that you will be content to live anywhere else in the world.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
Orlando FL. This suprises many. So many hot blooded transplants mixed with endless traffic and congestion, heat and humidity, and different cultures/social norms.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Default Don't Move to the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Did it ever occur to people from outside of New England, that we aren't like the south or the west? I don't meant to pick on you in particular, but since you specifically say Boston.

There is a reverence for the individual. We don't wear their emotions on their sleeve so to speak.

My favorite way to show this reverence is to tell a story about Calvin Coolidge. Born in rural Vertmont, mayor of Northampton, MA, governor of Massachusetts, VP and Pres in the 1920s. It was a well known fact that Coolidge was a soft spoken person. At a White House dinner party, a woman sitting near him was "poking fun" at this trait, she looks around the table to everyone and says, "I bet you Mr President, I can get you to say more than two words!" Everyone chuckles. He then looks around and looks at her and quips, "You lose." and continues to finish his meal.

New Englanders are reserved and private. That doesn't mean they're rude. If you need help or guidance, you'll defintely get it. It means we keep to ourselves and the people we know. If you're not from here, then you're an outsider, don't take it for being harsh. It just means you'll have to try harder to make friends and meet people. Boston is a very social city. Go to a pub or club. Don't expect a howdy while walking down the street.

New Englanders still carry an ounce of Puritanism around in their pocket.
I completely understand. But don't move to the SOUTH and expect to be welcomed with open arms. The southerners will think you are rude, and not pick up on your innate reserve.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,937 times
Miami, miami, miami, miami!!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:54 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
^^^ LOL, that was a surprise to you?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Jacksonville, FL. I will never forget the girl at subway looking at me with such disdain when I asked if they had some sort of vinegarette (i probably spelled that wrong) I could put on my sandwich.
Maybe she thought you were patronizing her? We don't have no fancy condiments down this here neck of the woods! (just kidding, I love Southern culture) .

Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe she thought you were patronizing her? We don't have no fancy condiments down this here neck of the woods! (just kidding, I love Southern culture) .
Maybe not fancy, just sometimes too many and so very wrong!

I was appalled the first time I ordered a hamburger in the south and they put MAYONNAISE on it without telling me. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:22 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe not fancy, just sometimes too many and so very wrong!

I was appalled the first time I ordered a hamburger in the south and they put MAYONNAISE on it without telling me. WRONG WRONG WRONG.
What usually goes in a hamburger, ketchup? Here it's not unusual for them to put mayo in a hamburger, although I think barbeque sauce is most common. They generally ask you what you want anyway.

Things are a little different down there, must be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City