Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,152,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I can only give my own experiences. My best friends growing up were from Puerto Rico (in my buildng), Greece (across the street), and South Carolina (2 block away). My bridesmaids were from Puerto Rico (different person), Tennessee, and my sister-in-law from Queens.

When I started going to my dentist and told him I was born and raised in Manhattan, he shook my hand and said he had never met anybody who was a Manhattan native.

No, not ALL people living in Manhattan are from someplace else, but a whole lot are.
...and you're from Manhattan living in Florida, right?

Old 08-15-2009, 02:45 AM

97 posts, read 102,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Maybe that is what is wrong with todays world

I have found in most places that I have been that people enjoy just casual conversation with others that they meet. If more people did it then the world would be a better place

Sorry to hear that you think people being friendly is rude
I agree that in a faster paced world it would be nice if people could just relax a little and communicate with each other more.

That being said, maybe NY'ers are just so unused to that sort of thing that they feel taken aback by it.

In Portland people do that all the time so come here and strike up a conversation with us. We will welcome you

Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Not by choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
...and you're from Manhattan living in Florida, right?
and only temporarily until I can move back.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, we all know this much...and have known for quite awhile. When do you think you'll venture back?

Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Same here, I will move back, the South has nothing to offer.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I think it is pretty rude to just walk up to a stranger and engage them in conversation. If you go up to a stranger to ask a legitimate question (directions, where's a good place to eat, when is the next bus) and a conversation naturally comes out of it, that is fine, but to draw an unwilling participant into chit-chat is just arrogant and rude.

ABQConvict

Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
So tell me, how do you know about NY being "rude" if you questioned someone on another thread about how NYC smelled?
I wanted to know if their nose interpreted doodoo, mustiness, feet, vomit, or what. Did they thing the city smelled like 10 day old garbage or like wet dog. That kind of thing.

Secondly, I talked about sidewalk attitudes in here, or rather asked your take on it. I never made any generalization about how everybody is in NYC. Don't be so sensitive. I like hearing what other people think about things. Mine isn't the only opinion in the world.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
I work in a call center which deals with people from all over the nation. IMHO: the places that really are horror shows are :

Florida
California
NYC suburbs (not the city itself)
New England
The rural South
Great Lakes states (IL, WI, MI, OH,)
PA (god awful)

Places/people that are pretty golden:

Texas
NYC itself
Southern cities
Great plains
Pac NW
Franco-phones (no joke)
European tourists except Brits.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I work in a call center which deals with people from all over the nation. IMHO: the places that really are horror shows are :

Florida
California
NYC suburbs (not the city itself)
New England
The rural South
Great Lakes states (IL, WI, MI, OH,)
PA (god awful)

Places/people that are pretty golden:

Texas
NYC itself
Southern cities
Great plains
Pac NW
Franco-phones (no joke)
European tourists except Brits.
I work with hospitals all over the country.

The best:

NW (Washington, Oregon, Northern California) and Upstate NY.

The most unorganized, dysfunctional, rude, nosy:

NYC and suburbs

Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post

The most unorganized, dysfunctional, rude, nosy:

NYC and suburbs

What's that supposed to mean???

People here are the least nosiest I've ever known. No one buts into each others business. Never met any nosy people here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City