Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
What about when they look at you cross-eyed because you're not walking fast and seeming like you're in a rush?

Wouldn't it be frustrating if you were trying to get home really fast because you have a child at home who you have to get to, but there's people all around you walking slow and keeping you from getting there fast? It's just like driving; if everyone around you was going 30 mph and you're in a rush to get somewhere. It works both ways.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
NY has no more rude people than anywhere else. Most of the rudeness I have come across in NYC came from transplants trying to fit in with an image.

You're right. Most think they're bigger and better than everyone because they made it in NYC. I've come across rude people here too, and I usually always find out they're from somewhere else.

The tourists are very rude sometimes. I find them cutting me in line ALL the time and just being plain rude and in your face for no real reason.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:34 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Wouldn't it be frustrating if you were trying to get home really fast because you have a child at home who you have to get to, but there's people all around you walking slow and keeping you from getting there fast?
Nope, it's a free sidewalk. I don't demand the whole world move at MY pace. That would be rude and arrogant of me.

Quote:
It's just like driving; if everyone around you was going 30 mph and you're in a rush to get somewhere. It works both ways.
There are posted speed limits for driving, even minimum speeds. There are no speed rules for walking, however. If I'm in a rush, that's my problem. Nobody else should have to be in a rush walking down the sidewalk just because I am. For me to expect everybody else to be would be just plain rude and arrogant of me.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Nope, it's a free sidewalk. I don't demand the whole world move at MY pace. That would be rude and arrogant of me.

There are posted speed limits for driving, even minimum speeds. There are no speed rules for walking, however. If I'm in a rush, that's my problem. Nobody else should have to be in a rush walking down the sidewalk just because I am. For me to expect everybody else to be would be just plain rude and arrogant of me.

The reason why people here get mad at the way people walk in the sidewalk is because of the way they walk on it. Some tourists make it seem like they own the sidewalk. They walk 5 abreast across the whole sidewalk and don't leave any room for others to walk around them. THAT'S when it gets annoying. We all don't mind those walking slower than us, it's just annoying when they spread out and not let anyone pass. Doesn't that frustrate you on the road? When there's a car ahead of you going 30 mph and one beside you, and you want to get around them? We may have less patience, but it doesn't make us rude

I'm SURE people from the biggest cities in the country get annoyed by this too. I've seen some others post that this annoys them too.

If you're from a big city, you'd understand what I mean.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
Quote:
Many people? I think 2 people said NYers were rude, and I bet they never even came here. They're basing it on what they've heard.

Here's one nice example. When I was commuting through Harlem, which everyone expects to be big, bad, and mean, there was someone lying on the sidewalk. There was a rush of people who came over to them and tried to help them up. Other people were calling 911 all at once.

Here's that link that other person requested. There were tests done around the WORLD to see how courteous the locals were in the areas. These are the results--

Good Manners: Politeness Put to the Test | Family Life | Reader's Digest

There are many people on the NYC forum who question people who base their views of NYC on stereotypes. They ask them specifics about NYC to see if they've ever been here enough times to base a good opinion that can be backed up. Just about all of them have never even been here. I believe that with people on this thread. Everest, can you tell me where you've been in NYC and the landmarks around it? I'd love to hear. You never answered me earlier, so I'm asking you again.
Central Park was generally rude. I am a gregarious person by nature and say hello and try to start conversations. Most people I passed in the park just mumbled back or ignored me.

At macy's in Times Square, the sales people were generally rude there as well

Walking around the villages (Bleeker, Mcdougal, E 4th, E 7th) I found the people rude as well when I just tried to say hi or carry on conversation. The people I tried to talk to were not those in a hurry either

Up around the Rockefeller center on 5th ave, I found the same to be true as well.

I just don't understand why you accuse everyone who has less than perfect things to say about NY as having never been there?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Central Park was generally rude. I am a gregarious person by nature and say hello and try to start conversations. Most people I passed in the park just mumbled back or ignored me.

Walking around the villages (Bleeker, Mcdougal, E 4th, E 7th) I found the people rude as well when I just tried to say hi or carry on conversation. The people I tried to talk to were not those in a hurry either

Up around the Rockefeller center on 5th ave, I found the same to be true as well.

I just don't understand why you accuse everyone who has less than perfect things to say about NY as having never been there?
What that hell happened to you??? I have been to those places many times and with family and friends and maybe on few occasion a few seem rude. But over all, most people I met in NYC were so friendly and polite!! When we were looking at a map people will often come a try to help (hasn't happened in other cities yet), more people will hold doors for you than other cities that I can remember, Customer service was also amazing, few seem rude, but have you ever get customer service in other cities?? Now there is rudeness out there. I am not saying that some New Yorkers are not Rude, but most people are not as much as other cities I have been to. Over all, New York City is not a Rude city.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
What that hell happened to you??? I have been to those places many times and with family and friends and maybe on few occasion a few seem rude. But over all, most people I met in NYC were so friendly and polite!! When we were looking at a map people will often come a try to help (hasn't happened in other cities yet), more people will hold doors for you than other cities that I can remember, Customer service was also amazing, few seem rude, but have you ever get customer service in other cities?? Now there is rudeness out there. I am not saying that some New Yorkers are not Rude, but most people are not as much as other cities I have been to. Over all, New York City is not a Rude city.
Maybe my next experience (2 weeks from now) will be better. If it is, I will mention it on here

Old 08-14-2009, 12:25 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:

Most in Manhattan are not from Manhattan. So I guess you're calling folks from all over the country and world rude.

I personally find it ridiculous when one walks around NYC expecting a conversation with everyone they pass. Some people really need to get over themselves, as I find that pretty rude.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most in Manhattan are not from Manhattan. So I guess you're calling folks from all over the country and world rude.

I personally find it ridiculous when one walks around NYC expecting a conversation with everyone they pass. Some people really need to get over themselves, as I find that pretty rude.
Maybe that is what is wrong with todays world

I have found in most places that I have been that people enjoy just casual conversation with others that they meet. If more people did it then the world would be a better place

Sorry to hear that you think people being friendly is rude

Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

That's because tourists hang out in those areas...You encountered other tourists, not the locals. it's no wonder. I can tell based on the locations you went and how the people interacted with you. Us locals can always tell who else is a local, a tourist, or transplant.

Anyway, you don't just stop random people in the street here and start talking to them. If you're in a store, that's one thing. People are doing things here. That isn't being rude, that goes for anywhere. I would find it strange if someone walked up to me in the park and started a conversation with me. It's one thing for them to say "Nice day, isn't it?" and say a couple things and be on their way. That's fine and no big deal.

But Macy's??? It's one of the biggest stores in the world. The ones checking you out are extremely busy and not really focused on carrying a conversation. They're trying to check you out in a good amount of time. They don't have time to chat.

One local chatted with me on the bench when I was taking off my rollerblades to leave Central park once. She had a dog and was talking all cutesy with her dog and saying like, "look, those are rollerblades she's wearing." I said to her what a cute dog she has, she said thank you, we mentioned how it's a nice day to be in the park, etc. Then I was on my way.

If you tried to strike up conversations with people who were getting things done and walking fast, they probably got freaked out by you. It's a big city. You do those things in small towns.

By the way, which area of Central park were you in, and what landmarks in the park were there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City