Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 08:35 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers can seem rude because they commute when they are walking. try asking directions or struck a conversation to someone commuting in traffic on a highway! So New Yorkers always look busy. Even so, they will give you quick directions. But that is the limit. That has been my experience. Or from people that I know. But in reality they are not rude. Once you meet him/her on a relax mode or like a weekend they are the nicest people you will ever meet. Oh and they are not nosy. They will go on with a conversation without making you uncomfortable or wanting to know your personal life or the one from your neighbor. I have been living here for 6 years and I got to know the real New Yorkers. Oh and I have become like them, it is contagious.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
New Yorkers can seem rude because they commute when they are walking. try asking directions or struck a conversation to someone commuting in traffic on a highway! So New Yorkers always look busy. Even so, they will give you quick directions. But that is the limit. That has been my experience. Or from people that I know. But in reality they are not rude. Once you meet him/her on a relax mode or like a weekend they are the nicest people you will ever meet. Oh and they are not nosy. They will go on with a conversation without making you uncomfortable or wanting to know your personal life or the one from your neighbor. I have been living here for 6 years and I got to know the real New Yorkers. Oh and I have become like them, it is contagious.
Thank you. Someone understands what my mom and I mean . A lot of people on C-D don't understand just how crowded the sidewalks are, which is like stopping in traffic while driving to give directions...it really can be dangerous depending where they ask.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,421 times
There is a different set of rules when it comes to New York. When talking to someone on a busy midtown sidewalk you should move towards the side of a building in order to get out of way of the mob. Many don't get this. They stand in the middle of the walk and get in the way of everyone else. This is a problem. Most Americans live in area where sidewalks don't even exist. Therefore they have no idea of the rules. They are clueless and when they visit New York it shows. Then they wonder why people get short or rude with them. New York is a busy place with large crowds in the public realm. This happens almost no where else in America with the exception of Chicago and some others to a lesser degree. Americans are not exposed to this very much and some don't understand how to deal with this. Most New Yorkers are friendly if you remove them from the mob and talk to them in a more personal setting.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
There is a different set of rules when it comes to New York. When talking to someone on a busy midtown sidewalk you should move towards the side of a building in order to get out of way of the mob. Many don't get this. They stand in the middle of the walk and get in the way of everyone else. This is a problem. Most Americans live in area where sidewalks don't even exist. Therefore they have no idea of the rules. They are clueless and when they visit New York it shows. Then they wonder why people get short or rude with them. New York is a busy place with large crowds in the public realm. This happens almost no where else in America with the exception of Chicago and some others to a lesser degree. Americans are not exposed to this very much and some don't understand how to deal with this. Most New Yorkers are friendly if you remove them from the mob and talk to them in a more personal setting.

Thank you. That's a nice thing to say about us too, so thank you again. Like I said (and you more or less said), I'd say about 80% of people on General US C-D have never been to NY, so they don't understand what we mean. They think they can understand, but it's something that people have to experience to fully understand what we mean.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
Even though Chicago is one of my favorite cities, I didn't find it as friendly as everyone said it was. I didn't find it rude either, but I didn't find it any friendlier than anywhere else I had been.
I'm from Chicago and have to laugh everytime I hear someone exclaim how friendly Chicagoans are. Suburbs, maybe.

I live in Texas (SA) now and I have been suprised that customer service is generally very bad (not unfriendly, just bad). And people I know are actually kind of mean.....definitley not, bring a pie over to the new neighbor types.

It may just be the people I happen to know and meet. Just like all those people that happen to be meeting nice people in chicago!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
That is why if you are visiting Manhattan to go on weekends or holidays when people are off from work. Although hardly deserted, it is less crowded and rushed with working people.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I grew up in Philly so I was shocked when people weren't rude. Finger Gestures were on the Drivers Test when I grew up. I almost hemmoraged when I got to California where STOP means STOP and have lunch.
Kinda ironic considering Philadelphia means "brotherly love." Maybe it should have been named Fingerdelphia instead. It could be divided into sections: East Fingerdelphia, West Fingerdelphia, and Middle Fingerdelphia.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's pretty hard to stop when you have masses of people like this:

Nothing rude about that....
Dang, that pic looks like you could have taken it right out of a zombie movie! City of the Walking Dead or something.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I have been living here for 6 years and I got to know the real New Yorkers. Oh and I have become like them, it is contagious.
I fairness to NYC, and to add in some positive feedback, I do get a good vibe from the Staten Island borough.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
New Orleans pre-Katrina. Couldn't believe the attitude by its residents in early-05. Since then there has been a humbling and it's noticeably friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City