Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer New York City or the Los Angeles area?
New York City 129 70.49%
Los Angeles 54 29.51%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
If NYC goes underwater parts of L.A will be underwater too Is that big shock? It is called Global Warming -- it affects the world Globally...

That said comparing L.A to a city like NYC.....Well L.A will always lose. (Even with the weather of South Cali, I am just being realistic)
Maybe Chicago vs. Los Angeles is more fair
"South Cali"?

Come on, at least say it right.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 PM

251 posts, read 895,893 times
Apparently, thousands like and enjoy living in Mobile or no one would live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY1 View Post
Ummm.

Like I said, you PREFER Los Angeles, but you know New York is a better/more important/ and a much more major city than Los Angeles (even though you won't admit it). New York is just better. I know, I know,...the whole point of this poll was to select a city you prefer but a few LA fanboys seem to be under the notion that Los Angeles is a better city than New York, which mildly amused me.

And just because a city is best doesn't mean everybody wants to live in them! If that were the case, nobody would live in cities like Detroit or Newark (No offense) and everbody would live in New York, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo or London.

Some prefer Mobile, Alabama to Paris; Phoenix to London or Jackson, Mississippi to Rome, .. but we all know which cities are better.

Last edited by kevin_1975; 01-22-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Look, pal, Tom Brady was in New York City yesterday walking down the street with flowers... It was on Sportscenter this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Is that big shock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^ gotta point
Well, I'm your elder, so quit the 'pal' business. Secondly, you're going out of your way to try to pick a fight with me (I thought I was on your ignore list). I was addressing the other guy. Again, not proclaiming L. A. to be the greatest thing God gave man..(that's New York's fantasy agenda). I'm just here to take that thing out of your you-know-what and give you a little dose of actuality. The global warming thing? Don't put too much faith into it, yet! Won't affect Los Angeles nearly as much as New York, or again, Manhattan. L. A.'s beach will slowly recede inland over time leaving most people untouched and others will migrate easily. By design, vulnerable Manhattan will literally fail, dropping underwater or at best, suffer system failures (tunnels, subways, electrical..) and be in even more danger of flooding in bad weather scenarios. Speaking of bad weather, Massachusetts/New York- same thing, and you can tell Brady meant it! Los Angeles being the third largest metro economy (globally) I think it compares quite nicely with places like Tokyo, New York, London etc etc.. also has that Hollywood thing going for it, ehh..I know you don't want to consider it,.. tough! Also, Brady carrying flowers in NY is the kind of promotional #&$@*ing that NY really excels in. Get ready for it to promote itself through the death of Mr. Ledger. That will be a real opportunity!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Awww..his apartment was owned by Mary-Kate Olsen. It begins...

Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Milquetoast is right about the economy thing. CA has the 5th strongest economy in the world compared to other countries in the world, and LA is a major portion of that. Port of LA/ LB is the busiest port in the country. The LA area airports are the best running system in the country. LGA and JFK constantly have delays, showing that NYC does not run nearly as smoothly as LA. NYC has connections with only Europe, while LA has strong connections with east Asia (which the US could not function without) and Latin America, while having some (weak) ties with Europe.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,810 times
new york hands down for me city-wise. i live outside of l.a. and it really isn't my cup of tea. i almost got killed on the freeway the other day and the saddest thing was that it didn't even really faze me that the drunkard was going somewhere in the neighborhood of 110 mph as he sped up my arse without even braking. i don't enjoy the weather because nothing makes me appreciate life more than outwards signs of time moving on (i love seasons, especially winter). I like the watch flowers bloom and bushes green in parks all over the city. i get seasonly depressed during summer. it's odd, but the warm weather really drains me. it's a mental thing. i can stand it for four-five months even if it's 100% humidity and pisses down rain every afternoon, it's just something about 80 degrees in november that makes me skin crawl. I don't like driving and the L.A. area is so spread out that it's inevitable that you'll have to drive (and sit in traffic) forever. My parents live about 60 miles away, but it can be a 2.5 hour trip depending on who decided to flip their car on the 405. L.A. has made me a bitter person, and I hate that. I feel like there is such an emphasis on looks and status and there is no room for honest, genuine, people. Don't get me wrong, I know all places have their bunch, I just feel that the bunch is much bigger here. I love the food options I have in NYC (I dont eat meat because it makes me ill). There are plenty of vege places here, but a lot of them have that "California" feel to them. Sometimes I just don't want avocado. Sometimes I don't want organic. Sometimes I want something hearty and delicious. And I don't want to drive an hour to get it and be disappointed. I love the culture and I love that the public transportation gives you one less outer-appearance to have to keep up with. I'm sorry, CA has made me bitter. And no, I'm not some overweight, dowdy whinger that is jealous of the beach blonde. i'm an educated, happily married, physically fit, multiracial person that just feel like i still stick out like a sore thumb for some reason. nothing makes me feel more welcome than nyc. I'm not sure what it is. To each his/her own. But NYC (and the east coast in general), will always have my heart.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Wanna? Go home! "Los Angeles is the city with the most substance in the United States -- cultural substance. There is a competition between New York and Los Angeles, but New York only consumes culture and borrows it from Europe. Things get done in Los Angeles." Werner Herzog, Director 2007

Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 PM

i am going home this summer actually. thanks. i wasn't trying to bash L.A. and i find your response rather childish. i just gave an honest opinion. I even said to each his or her own and never said that this was a catch-all response for everyone. And as for your quote, that is also someone else's opinion. I can see the perks to L.A. and the benefits, for certain people. Summer weather is good for some. Some people really enjoy the job opportunites. It just isn't working for me. The question was aimed at a personal response, which i felt I gave. Not quite sure how my opinion warranted a response with someone else's opinion.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 AM

on a p.s. note, of course Werner Herzog loves L.A. That goes without saying. It's the same reason that my brother loves L.A. so much. They are in the industry. It's makes perfect sense that he loves L.A. It's what has helped him perpetuate his career. That doesn't mean that it works for everyone. Just like NY doesn't work for everyone.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
L.A. has made me a bitter person, and I hate that. I feel like there is such an emphasis on looks and status and there is no room for honest, genuine, people.
That's your opinion. I stated my opinion and I responded to yours with the opinion of another. The "New York City welcomes me" comment has me thinking you work for the NYC Chamber of Commerce or Parks and Recreation Association. Yeah! No food choices in L. A., especially for a vegetarian-silly. That's one of the east coast talking points, to make fun of the vegetarian "out west." "Where the nuts are a little bit fruity and the fruits are a little bit nutty." -Archie Bunker Wanna, you are contrary to the current logic of the argument. Meaning you contradicted yourself,.. and almost all people on planet Earth like warm weather! Emphasis on looks and status? What fairyland do you think NY is? NY is into the looks/status thing too.. L. A. is just better looking at looking better. Did you ever consider that you're no longer good enough for an avocado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City