Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better shopping options?
Atlanta proper 17 68.00%
DC proper 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM

32,112 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I know plenty of women that hate to leave the city. You sure you lived in D.C.?

"I'm not trying to go all the way out there"
"I hate malls"
"I don't have to go to the mall, I can just get it online, but I do like to walk outside when it's nice and shop"
Nobody really cares where the stores are. They care about what stores are there and what the selection is like. If you go to the Marshall's at Pentagon City, you will see tons of girls there because they know the big retailers dump all of their leftovers on those types of stores. The same goes for TJ Maxx. Tons of chicks raid those stores.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The first post, as well as the actual poll question, specifically says shopping OPTIONS...as in selection/variety of retail establishments. Setting is irrelevant..
That's what I thought. Most women don't care about the setting. It's all about the clothes. I mean, do any men care where they bought their flatscreen or their new sportstcar?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:28 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's what I thought. Most women don't care about the setting. It's all about the clothes. I mean, do any men care where they bought their flatscreen or their new sportstcar?
Then, I stand corrected, it didn't have any substance. I assumed they wanted to know about shopping experience. Also, there aren't many malls in cities so where are all these malls city people are shopping in? Do you leave Manhattan to shop in New Jersey? All the stores in the suburban malls can be found in D.C. now and that is only increasing week by week. Who is going out to Tyson's?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:40 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times
DC is at a disadvantage because of its smaller geographical size. Atlanta is twice the size of DC in therms of land. People will say this doesn't matter, but it does. I am willing to bet the reason Tysons was built in Fairfax instead of DC was the lack of land in DC, & even if there was enough land, it would have been too expensive. Atlanta is a cheaper city & therefore can build suburban shopping malls. But still, people highly under rate DC. City Center will serve the uber high end market when it comes fully online later this year, Georgetown is the high & middle end shopping district, F street is the middle end shopping district, Friendship Heights is another uber high end district, & then there are amazing boutique stores throughout DC. DC has become one of the top cities in the US for foreign retailers to test the American market along with NYC & LA, & therefore gets a lot of stores Atlanta doesn't. Also, M Street was ranked as one of the best shopping streets in America, not a single Atlanta street was even on the list. DC was also ranked one of the most fashionable cities in the US, another list Atlanta didn't make. But it is honestly hard to say Tysons doesn't count because if DC were as big as Atlanta geographically Tysons would be within city limits, & Tysons has metro access, which has connected Tysons to DC's urban fabric.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Then, I stand corrected, it didn't have any substance. I assumed they wanted to know about shopping experience. Also, there aren't many malls in cities so where are all these malls city people are shopping in? Do you leave Manhattan to shop in New Jersey? All the stores in the suburban malls can be found in D.C. now and that is only increasing week by week. Who is going out to Tyson's?
A lot of people still go out to Tyson's. In DC, the best shopping is still found in the suburbs, imo. A place like Georgetown is great for strolling and people watching, but it's not necessarily where I would go if my focus is strictly on shopping.

NYC and DC are not comparable when it comes to shopping options (or the availability of cars for that matter), so no, most people aren't leaving the city to shop.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:55 PM

39 posts, read 40,444 times
DC is on par with Atlanta right now, & will surpass within the next couple of years. A lot of people still under estimate DC because the influx of retailers is relatively new

Old 02-16-2015, 01:00 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,856 times
^^^But as DC is seeing an influx of new retailers, so too is Atlanta. Atlanta has a longer history of being a shopping mecca, and is literally a shopping mecca for the entire SE much like Miami is a shopping mecca for Floridians and Latin Americans much like NYC is a world shopping mecca and for the NE, Chicago is a shopping mecca for the Midwest, and LA and SF are also shopping meccas for large populations of domestic and international travelers. DC is simply not a "shopping mecca". Never has, and never will be. It will see new stores and see more "downtown" stores open up as all cities are seeing this with growth and change, Atlanta too. But Atlanta serves a vastly larger and more rapidly growing market than DC. Atlanta serves the entire SE. Retailers recognize this. The spending power in Buckhead is off the wall. At one point the Saks at Phipps did the 2nd most volume in the chain. Retail rents for space in Buckhead are comparable to the urban rates you see in DC and Boston, and this is for "suburban" space.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyG1996 View Post
DC is on par with Atlanta right now, & will surpass within the next couple of years. A lot of people still under estimate DC because the influx of retailers is relatively new

THIS

It's a major understatement. Who cares honestly, the people living outside the region will catch up with way more than the retail coming here now:

-They will catch up with the new development across the city
-They will catch up with the new density across the city
-They will catch up with the new shopping across the city
-They will catch up with the new restaurants across the city
-They will catch up with the new waterfronts across the city

D.C. is the type of city you become outdated about currently if you spend a couple years away. Way too much going on in such a tiny 61.4 sq. ft. footprint. It's not spread across over 100 mile's like most cities. Shoot, Capital Riverfront will have a total of 15 Residential/Hotel/Office high-rise's under construction this year including 3,600 housing units alone.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyG1996 View Post
It's not like Atlanta has all of a sudden stopped either....Atlanta's getting retailers like Topshop from London to Lenox, more highend stores opening up at Buckhead Atlanta and Ponce City Market opening in a few months will have great boutique selection.

Buckhead Atlanta itself may not have grown "organically", but the area already has several projects proposed including an office tower and many apartment units as a result of Buckhead Atlanta so the area around will continue to grow and urbanize "organically".

And people saying, "Atlanta has a advantage of being larger geographically." It's not like Buckhead is 10 miles away from Downtown/Midtown. seriously, it's only 3 miles away from Midtown and 5 miles away from Downtown. They're not that spread out. On this picture below, you can literally see the Buckhead Atlanta area to the center left below the mountains.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3930/...7b496257_b.jpg

You can see Lenox area to the background right of the photo where the highrise cluster is.

Let's stop with the "Atlanta has a geographical advantage". We're not talking Houston here.

Last edited by JMT; 02-16-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^But as DC is seeing an influx of new retailers, so too is Atlanta. Atlanta has a longer history of being a shopping mecca, and is literally a shopping mecca for the entire SE much like Miami is a shopping mecca for Floridians and Latin Americans much like NYC is a world shopping mecca and for the NE, Chicago is a shopping mecca for the Midwest, and LA and SF are also shopping meccas for large populations of domestic and international travelers. DC is simply not a "shopping mecca". Never has, and never will be. It will see new stores and see more "downtown" stores open up as all cities are seeing this with growth and change, Atlanta too. But Atlanta serves a vastly larger and more rapidly growing market than DC. Atlanta serves the entire SE. Retailers recognize this. The spending power in Buckhead is off the wall. At one point the Saks at Phipps did the 2nd most volume in the chain. Retail rents for space in Buckhead are comparable to the urban rates you see in DC and Boston, and this is for "suburban" space.

I don't think anybody is arguing that Atlanta doesn't have great shopping. The problem is, it's the equivalent of online shopping. There is no experience. You just go buy your clothes and leave at Lenox or Phipps Plaza. Maybe, stop and get some frozen yogurt or ice cream at the food court.

Now, as for the Streets of Buckhead Atlanta, my argument had more to do with the substance of a shopping experience. Shopping in Buckhead Atlanta is like shopping in Scottsdale Phoenix. It's not in a real city. If you don't understand what I mean by that, I don't really know how much clearer I can make it. If the Streets of Buckhead Atlanta had been built in downtown Atlanta on top of one of those surface parking lots for MARTA on the first floor of buildings with apartments/condos/hotels/office above them, then we would be talking.

Last edited by JMT; 02-16-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City