Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 40 25.97%
East Coast 105 68.18%
Similar 9 5.84%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:59 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

Hispanics and African Americans have been in close proximity with one another some decades now to where there has been conflict or cultural exchange. In the West Coast, you had Chicanos of Mexican descent who lived along African Americans. Both groups were vested in a monoculture of lowriders and Dickies. On the East Coast, Nuyoricans and African Americans have stood aside one another in the formation of Hip-hop and Freestyle. There's no denying, however, that there have been cases of hostilities between both groups.

Which region would you say there's better relations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
East Coast. The two largest Hispanic groups in the Northeast, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, have African ancestry. With a lot of Dominicans, you won't even know they are Hispanic until they start speaking Spanish.

Plus, Fat Joe and Angie Martinez drop the N-Word regularly and nobody seems to care. A Mexican or Guatemalan couldn't get away with that.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
East Coast. The two largest Hispanic groups, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, have African ancestry. With a lot of Dominicans, you won't even know they are Hispanic until they start speaking Spanish.

Plus, Fat Joe and Angie Martinez drop the N-Word regularly and nobody seems to care. A Mexican couldn't get away with that.

Okay, this doesn't speak of how Black-Latino relations were better than out West. lol

Old 02-27-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Okay, this doesn't speak of how Black-Latino relations were better than out West. lol
Well, I'm not sure what type of evidence you expect to be provided. I view most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as sort of "quasi" Black. I don't view other Hispanics that way. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are more integrated into African American culture whereas Mexicans and Central Americans are not. They have their own separate thing.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure what type of evidence you expect to be provided. I view most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as sort of "quasi" Black. I don't view other Hispanics that way. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are more integrated into Black culture whereas Mexicans and Central Americans are not. They have their own separate thing.

I agree. Nuyoricans and Dominicans were very well assimilated in Black Culture even though they may deny it. From the fashion to the slang, NYC Hispanics were very much ingrained in African American culture. Still, you would have some who were hostile towards blacks.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not sure what type of evidence you expect to be provided. I view most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as sort of "quasi" Black. I don't view other Hispanics that way. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are more integrated into African American culture whereas Mexicans and Central Americans are not. They have their own separate thing.
There are African Americans that have Spanish surnames, many of whom have roots in PR, DR, and Cuba; but they more readily identify as being black because they are at least fourth or fifth generation Americans, many of which grow up not knowing a word of Spanish.

Of course, this also applies to Haitian/Jamaican/Caribbean/continental African Americans, too. The first generation tends to bring their culture with them, their kids sort of have a mix between the two, but their grandkids will basically simply be "black" rather than Jamaican-, Dominican-, or Nigerian- Americans.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I agree. Nuyoricans and Dominicans were very well assimilated in Black Culture even though they may deny it. From the fashion to the slang, NYC Hispanics were very much ingrained in African American culture. Still, you would have some who were hostile towards blacks.
And today, that hostility is about the same as it is between African Americans and West Indians, which is to say there isn't much at all.

New York City and Boston are kinda running out of "regular" Black people anyway. Programs and scholarships that are designed to benefit the descendants of Black American slaves are filled up with kids with last names like Rivas and Ollivierre. Even the most popular rappers from New York City--Nicki Minaj (Trini), Joey Bada$$ (Lucian), A$ap Rocky (Bajan), French Montana (Moroccan) and Bobby Shmurda (Jamaican/Trini)--don't have typical African American backgrounds.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
There are African Americans that have Spanish surnames, many of whom have roots in PR, DR, and Cuba; but they more readily identify as being black because they are at least fourth or fifth generation Americans, many of which grow up not knowing a word of Spanish.

Of course, this also applies to Haitian/Jamaican/Caribbean/continental African Americans, too. The first generation tends to bring their culture with them, their kids sort of have a mix between the two, but their grandkids will basically simply be "black" rather than Jamaican-, Dominican-, or Nigerian- Americans.
I agree with this.

I was going to start a thread in the NYC forum asking Black posters if they did not have any Caribbean (including PR and DR) or West African (not in a genetic sense) ancestry. By that, I mean all four of your grandparents were the descendants of slaves in the United States. That's becoming a harder and harder thing to find in New England and the Tri-State area.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I agree with this.

I was going to start a thread in the NYC forum asking Black posters if they did not have any Caribbean (including PR and DR) or West African (not in a genetic sense) ancestry. By that, I mean all four of your grandparents were the descendants of slaves in the United States. That's becoming a harder and harder thing to find in New England and the Tri-State area.

With the exception of Connecticut. lol

Old 02-27-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
With the exception of Connecticut. lol
It's hard to find that in CT, too. Constance Baker Motley, who is probably the most famous Black person from Connecticut, was the child of West Indian immigrants.

Constance Baker Motley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City