Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife district/neighborhood on the West Coast
Capitol Hill (Seattle) 43 26.38%
Ballard (Seattle) 13 7.98%
Pearl District/Old Town (Portland) 5 3.07%
Inner Southeast (Portland) 2 1.23%
Mission District (San Francisco) 29 17.79%
North Beach (San Francisco) 15 9.20%
West Hollywood/Hollywood (Los Angeles) 82 50.31%
Downtown LA (Los Angeles) 15 9.20%
Gaslamp District (San Diego) 28 17.18%
North Park (San Diego) 5 3.07%
Other (Please list) 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 PM

104 posts, read 127,054 times

Advertisements

Cool to see videos - hard to compare since the quality of the Capitol Hill ones is so bad and dark versus a much cleaner, brighter video for the Gaslamp. Capitol Hill feels a little sketchier and not family friendly at all while Gaslamp looks a bit more sanitized. I guess it makes sense since Gaslamp is in the heart of downtown while Capitol is a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
This is Pier Ave in Hermosa Beach. Kinda a dumb video I'll even admit haha. But check the background of all the people. Yeah this is July 4th, but on a normal night it's not much less crowded than this. Always lines to get into places. And this is just Pier Ave pedestrian only part. The bars/clubs spread out for a few blocks north, south, and east from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC15a0kkFIc

Also all my friends told me I was in a really grumpy mood last night so I guess than happened on here too haha. I guess I needed some sleep. But I still think WeHo, HWood, and Hermosa can hold their own. Guess I'll have to check out Capitol Hill sometime. Gaslamp is crazy, but is it mainly tourists? As for SF, I find The Marina and Polk to be better than The Mission.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:53 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is Pier Ave in Hermosa Beach. Kinda a dumb video I'll even admit haha. But check the background of all the people. Yeah this is July 4th, but on a normal night it's not much less crowded than this. Always lines to get into places. And this is just Pier Ave pedestrian only part. The bars/clubs spread out for a few blocks north, south, and east from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC15a0kkFIc

Also all my friends told me I was in a really grumpy mood last night so I guess than happened on here too haha. I guess I needed some sleep. But I still think WeHo, HWood, and Hermosa can hold their own. Guess I'll have to check out Capitol Hill sometime. Gaslamp is crazy, but is it mainly tourists? As for SF, I find The Marina and Polk to be better than The Mission.
I was actually surprised that they mentioned the Mission but not Polk, as Polk usually comes to mind before the Mission when it comes to bars/clubs. I know the Mission has been becoming more trendy, but has it become the IT place to go out for a drink in SF now?

Old 04-20-2015, 05:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
I'm actually surprised so many people like the Mission considering how dumpy many of the bars are there. But I guess that is what appeals to hipsters? I'd probably put Polk St ahead of North Beach for vibrancy.

Last edited by sav858; 04-20-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 05:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Yeah the hipsters like the mission for that grungry dirty feel. A lot of the whiskey bars that cater to the hipsters are there. And the craft brews usually are on tap there. But it's a better low-key bar hopping nightlife district for hipsters basically, with a few sorta dance bars thrown in.

Polk is by far my favorite. I love the mix of people that go there. It combines the tourists of Union Square, the hipsters of the Mission, the gays of the Castro since it also used to be the gayborhood before the Castro, the ex frat stars of the Marina, and the party crowd of undergrads from USF. Polk doesn't really have an identity and that's what I like about it. It's a melting pot of people with several different options from dive bars, to expensive bars, to dance bars like Playland and Vertigo. My favorite place to dance was always Playland and my favorite place for a drink was always Butter in SoMa.

The Marina was always fun for me because it reminded me of home in LA when I was homesick. Going out there is just too expensive and too far of a trek on buses for it to be worth it.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
Cool to see videos - hard to compare since the quality of the Capitol Hill ones is so bad and dark versus a much cleaner, brighter video for the Gaslamp. Capitol Hill feels a little sketchier and not family friendly at all while Gaslamp looks a bit more sanitized. I guess it makes sense since Gaslamp is in the heart of downtown while Capitol is a neighborhood.
Cap Hill isn't sketchy, generally. Unless you're afraid of being assaulted by someone dressed up as Peter Pan, or if you simply have the courage of a kitten and get frightened by your own reflection, then you should have no issues. As for being family friendly... I mean, why would you take a child to a bar/club district in the first place? Go to the suburbs if you don't want your child or grandma to see any adult elements.

The nice thing about Cap Hill is that there's really no "thug culture" or anything like that here.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 AM

104 posts, read 127,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Cap Hill isn't sketchy, generally. Unless you're afraid of being assaulted by someone dressed up as Peter Pan, or if you simply have the courage of a kitten and get frightened by your own reflection, then you should have no issues. As for being family friendly... I mean, why would you take a child to a bar/club district in the first place? Go to the suburbs if you don't want your child or grandma to see any adult elements.

The nice thing about Cap Hill is that there's really no "thug culture" or anything like that here.
I don't fully agree with that - on the weekend you can definitely get thug types roaming around Pike/Pine. There has been an increase in crime lately in Capitol Hill on the weekends.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 PM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
I have been to Seattle three times in the last three years and have skimmed the nightlife areas out but never actually gone out, save for a karaoke bar in Queen Anne or something. Can't remember. My cousin is from Seattle but I have no idea where she took us in April.

I am intrigued by Seattle's nightlife reputation because moving there is an option. I heard it was really bad and then now with this list it's coming in second and people are saying it's crazy.

Which one is it?

My other option is staying on the East Coast and moving to Philadelphia. Both great options. Decisions, decisions.
Seattle has pretty good nightlife. Not amazing but pretty good. I'd say on par with Philly or Boston. Capitol Hill, Ballard, Belltown, and several other districts have good concentrations of bars.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:54 AM

591 posts, read 819,869 times
I've spent some time in Boston. Seattle's nightlife is significantly better.

Anyways, Hollywood should not be winning this poll. It is winning because of name recognition and majority of people on this site are LA tourists. Hollywood nightlife is grimy and ratchet.

Really this poll should be between Capitol Hill and Gaslamp.
Cap Hill's vibe is super Seattle... and Gaslamp is sweet because of how much outdoor seating there is.
Anyways... I'd choose Cap Hill but it's close.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Agreed, it's Gaslamp or Cap Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City