Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most similar area to Raleigh/Durham
Greensboro/Winston-Salem 36 24.16%
Charlotte 18 12.08%
Richmond 6 4.03%
Northern Virginia 30 20.13%
Columbia 7 4.70%
Atlanta 8 5.37%
Nashville 8 5.37%
Austin 27 18.12%
Other 9 6.04%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times

Advertisements

I guess I've come to the conclusion that it's a cross between Northern VA, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, and Austin.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 PM

58 posts, read 99,482 times
I think Columbia, SC is most similar to the Research Triangle. Columbia and Raleigh are both college towns and state capitals in the Southeast. Columbia, SC is home to University of South Carolina and Raleigh, NC has North Carolina State University. Columbia and the Research Triangle are also the 2nd largest metros in each of their state. Columbia is the 2nd largest metro behind Greenville and Raleigh is the 2nd largest metro behind Charlotte.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:44 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Probably Austin. I could see the argument for NOVA, but ultimately they are more different than similar imo.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Austin makes sense. University ties, strong in tech, rapid growth, high cost of living compared to the rest of the state. But Austin's bigger with lots more entertainment. The lifestyle for people that are married with kids or older would be very similar, but Ausitin has much more for people under 35. Or over 35 when they want to hang out.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:35 PM

2,816 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Maybe in the late-90s when it was all about subdivisions and malls, I would have said Austin in that they are rapidly growing state capitals/collegetowns with a strong tech sectors. All of that is still true, but with the back to the city movement I think Austin has pulled away to the point they are less comparable.

Austin's urban core and hipster culture have really blown up in that time. Raleigh has seen a sizable boom downtown, but not on par Austin. To some extent it is due to their being three urban centers, rather than one. If you could combine Durham's hipsters, Chapel Hills students and Raleigh's yuppies it could be pretty comparable. But, at this point, Nashville is probably more comparable to Austin in that are emerging "destination cities".

I would say Raleigh is more like a smaller Charlotte. Prosperous white collar cities with developing cores.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:32 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs View Post
I think Columbia, SC is most similar to the Research Triangle. Columbia and Raleigh are both college towns and state capitals in the Southeast. Columbia, SC is home to University of South Carolina and Raleigh, NC has North Carolina State University. Columbia and the Research Triangle are also the 2nd largest metros in each of their state. Columbia is the 2nd largest metro behind Greenville and Raleigh is the 2nd largest metro behind Charlotte.
I don't think Columbia is the best answer when it comes to the Research Triangle as a whole, but it's certainly a good answer when you talk about Raleigh in particular. They both have a similar feel physically and geographically as they are both planned Southeastern fall line capital cities containing a major state university. But Columbia is the only primary city of its region whereas the Triangle has...well...three.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:58 AM

615 posts, read 537,282 times
For anyone that has been to Austin, there seems to be as many differences as similarities. We all agree that both are state capitals, both are growing rapidly, both are liberal ( although Austin is much more liberal according to rankings), and both have large state universities.

But Austin’s amenities are not spread among three cities. Austin’s downtown is quite a bit larger. The University of Texas is downtown while NC State is not. Anyone that has been to Texas knows that the I35 corridor from Dallas to San Antonio is full of convenience stores, restaurants, and motels. But the distance is several hundred miles. It appears that the planning departments in Texas are different than NC. NC planners do not locate as much on the interstates. But I am no expert on Texas planning departments. But the sprawl in Texas goes on and on. NC has sprawl but not to this degree.

But the major difference is the people. The Raleigh area is still majority white. Raleigh has a growing Hispanic community but nothing like Austin and other parts of Texas. If you were to go there it would be very noticeable. In my opinion, the demographics of a community is the number one factor in deterring the fabric and makeup of the community. It is not it is not brick and mortar items like a state capital or university. However, I do admit that a state capital and university impacts the demographics so they are not totally irrelevant. But the demographics is the main consideration, and the demographics are not even similar.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:34 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
For anyone that has been to Austin, there seems to be as many differences as similarities. We all agree that both are state capitals, both are growing rapidly, both are liberal ( although Austin is much more liberal according to rankings), and both have large state universities.

But Austin’s amenities are not spread among three cities. Austin’s downtown is quite a bit larger. The University of Texas is downtown while NC State is not. Anyone that has been to Texas knows that the I35 corridor from Dallas to San Antonio is full of convenience stores, restaurants, and motels. But the distance is several hundred miles. It appears that the planning departments in Texas are different than NC. NC planners do not locate as much on the interstates. But I am no expert on Texas planning departments. But the sprawl in Texas goes on and on. NC has sprawl but not to this degree.

But the major difference is the people. The Raleigh area is still majority white. Raleigh has a growing Hispanic community but nothing like Austin and other parts of Texas. If you were to go there it would be very noticeable. In my opinion, the demographics of a community is the number one factor in deterring the fabric and makeup of the community. It is not it is not brick and mortar items like a state capital or university. However, I do admit that a state capital and university impacts the demographics so they are not totally irrelevant. But the demographics is the main consideration, and the demographics are not even similar.
NC State might not be "technically" downtown but it pretty darn close. Raleigh is 59% White (barely majority) and Austin is 48% White...not seeing the huge delta in that regard. Raleigh's large minority community is African American and Austin's is Hispanic. Though you're right about Raleigh being more conservative than Austin. However, Durham-Chapel Hill area is more liberal than Raleigh in addition to Durham being more diverse. Though a Raleigh city vs Austin city thread, I prefer the Durham-Chapel Hill area which factors in the overall metro to best Austin for me. It has that gritty, professional, highly-educated diverse vibe without having an overbearing in your face hipster feel. I call it a cool "weird".

Of course I am biased...there is no other area like RDU. Been to and lived a lot of places, it is unique in that regard. Nashville and Austin have obvious similarities. RDU is in an orbit of it's own...mostly good, some bad like any other place.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
In terms of migration patterns, size, the downtown districts of Raleigh and Durham, accents, local culture, history, suburbs vs density, etc. Which metro would you say has the most in common with the NC Research Triangle?

Piedmont Triad ~ Research Triangle

Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
That's fine, but my point is that they are not similar. Zooming in a bit will not make them look similar. You cannot make them exactly the same scale in Google Maps because one has the 3D overlay thingy on it.

It's like zooming in on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and then the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas, and claiming the cities look similar.
OMG...This was hilarious!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City