Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city to live in?
Las Vegas 60 41.38%
Miami 85 58.62%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

The farther inland you go, the hotter it gets too. On the water at Miami Beach, the temperatures are always cooler and there's a nice breeze. A real sea breeze helps you feel a lot cooler than sandy, desert breezes blowing an oven in your face. Clouds help so much though!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
It did hit 100 exactly in July 1942. Tampa has an all time record high of 99.
I guess it depends which weather station you read, the one off the airport is inland and also has "urban" heat effect.

Quote:
It is true. Miami has never officially recorded a triple-digit temperature; the record high there being 98 degrees, recorded on several occasions. Miami's proximity to water, prevailing easterly winds and daily sea breezes combine to keep excessive temperatures in check. However, the city averages 66 days annually with highs in the 90s,
Anyways I guess that's for Miami Beach, according to wikipedia Miami Beach has recorded a maximum of 98F in her history:

Correspondingly Miami recorded 100F, and that weather station is on the airport which probably suffers from "urban heat effect". Either way, I was off by 1 degree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami

Point is, Miami is no Vegas. Heat Index or Heat Index, we're far more comfortable them in the 2 hottest months of the year, July and August.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I guess it depends which weather station you read, the one off the airport is inland and also has "urban" heat effect.

Anyways I guess that's for Miami Beach, according to wikipedia Miami Beach has recorded a maximum of 98F in her history:

Correspondingly Miami recorded 100F, and that weather station is on the airport which probably suffers from "urban heat effect". Either way, I was off by 1 degree.

Point is, Miami is no Vegas. Heat Index or Heat Index, we're far more comfortable them in the 2 hottest months of the year, July and August.
I feel like this is all nitpicking though. Point is both are uncomfortable in summer, so not sure why both sides are arguing so much about this. This is like arguing which cold is worse in winter Chicago's or Detroit's? Both suck.

Anyway, Miami all the way. Once LV runs out of water, they will be licking the sidewalks trying to find water, while Miamians will be hanging on the beach doin just fine.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:28 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I feel like this is all nitpicking though. Point is both are uncomfortable in summer, so not sure why both sides are arguing so much about this. This is like arguing which cold is worse in winter Chicago's or Detroit's? Both suck.
Maybe, but it's not as close as Chicago or Detroit but rather Detroit in the winter and Louisville, Kentucky in the winter. Both suck, but one is markedly better. It needs to be stated, since it's an element of these cities.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Anyway, Miami all the way. Once LV runs out of water, they will be licking the sidewalks trying to find water, while Miamians will be hanging on the beach doin just fine.
When both have long, extreme summers, it comes down to personal choice as to which someone would want to live in. I'd prefer lower temperature, higher humidity, sea breezes, and clouds/thunderstorms over higher temperatures, lower humidity, winds that feel like you stuck your face in the oven, and relentless sun with not a cloud in sight.

But yes, Vegas will cease to exist inevitably because unlike coastal CA which can desalinate the ocean, Vegas has nothing. Rising sea levels in South Florida are contaminating drinking waters, but there's always the desalination option in Florida still. Vegas? Not so much.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
When both have long, extreme summers, it comes down to personal choice as to which someone would want to live in. I'd prefer lower temperature, higher humidity, sea breezes, and clouds/thunderstorms over higher temperatures, lower humidity, winds that feel like you stuck your face in the oven, and relentless sun with not a cloud in sight.
Here is my thing, I would never live in the desert. It's stupid, wasteful and cities of the size of Phoenix and Las Vegas should NOT exist. Very small cities, sure. But think about it, outside of the Middle East, (since they are countries where they are almost all desert) you don't have major cities in deserts of other countries. Not in Brazil, China or Australia. On top of that, Las Vegas splurges on its water. Fountains and pools galore in every hotel. It makes me sick really. To me it's incredibly selfish and if at the very least Las Vegas and Phoenix were beautiful cities and looked like Rome or Paris, you can appreciate it, but they are nothing but sprawled blob of crap urban landscape.

Miami is lush, green, tropical, full of natural life, with water everywhere. To me when it comes to humans the desert = death, tropical = life.

And before people start arguing that Miami is not in the tropics, I know, but that is the climate it is most similar to.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:04 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,415 times
Quote:
Enjoy hanging on the beach while it's still around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inf-Wj2Xm40

Old 06-12-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Enjoy hanging on the beach while it's still around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inf-Wj2Xm40
Haha, that the best you can do? Hey at least Miami will have water! Rather have that than nothing. On the contrary enjoy having water in Vegas while you can still get some. Why don't you Google Lake Mead and see the horrible effects Las Vegas has had on it. At least Miami's too much water problem is still quite some time away, while Lake Mead is already suffering badly.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:20 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post

That's true, the station at the beach never has.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Here is my thing, I would never live in the desert. It's stupid, wasteful and cities of the size of Phoenix and Las Vegas should NOT exist. Very small cities, sure. But think about it, outside of the Middle East, (since they are countries where they are almost all desert) you don't have major cities in deserts of other countries. Not in Brazil, China or Australia. On top of that, Las Vegas splurges on its water. Fountains and pools galore in every hotel. It makes me sick really. To me it's incredibly selfish and if at the very least Las Vegas and Phoenix were beautiful cities and looked like Rome or Paris, you can appreciate it, but they are nothing but sprawled blob of crap urban landscape.

Miami is lush, green, tropical, full of natural life, with water everywhere. To me when it comes to humans the desert = death, tropical = life.

And before people start arguing that Miami is not in the tropics, I know, but that is the climate it is most similar to.
Exactly. LV epitomizes the US greed and consumerism culture that entirely disregards nature in favor of profits and coddling its citizens with a false sense of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City