Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 06:41 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Most fun US cities:
1a. NYC - It has everything. (but expensive and accessibility is a problem).
1b. Chicago -- unbelievable amount of interest things to do in a relatively compact space. Both quantity and quality at a relatively low price point.
Portland -- funky and fun
Philadelphia-- fun town.

Most boring:
Los Angeles -- by a landslide; for a city of its size and girth, it's very meh. I'm talking about the "city" here, not surrounding region.
Dallas -- I was there last week. I think.

Damn, you missed out. I've been here 5 years and haven't begun to run out of things to do yet. Its the the point where my wife and are forcing ourselves to take weekend trips to other cities because unless we make the effort we just wind up staying in town because there's a always non-stop parade of events to attend.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
I've been to LA 5-7 times. We have an office there. To be entirely clear, I did not venture beyond central LA (said that in my post). In benchmarking cities, I'm not including suburbs or far flung areas. I'm a visitor, so I'm talking the general downtown area (and I was consistent with this in my opinions of other cities above).

I just found LA incredibly boring, dirty/brown, nothing happening, cars everywhere... When I went to LA about 8 years ago I felt like OmegaMan; I was the only person downtown. It has improved. LA Live has potential, but in talking to locals even they thought it would be more of a catalyst. I will say, the city seems more vibrant today than even 5 years ago. I appreciate their attempts at TOD, but I get the feeling LA's urban dynamic has already been sewn as a suburban type core. It is what it is.
LA Live is the worst part of downtown. Its too master-planned and theme parkey, filled with overpriced chains. I think of it as "Little Vegas".

Did you even make it to the parts of downtown where all the cool stuff is? Historic Core? Fashion District? Little Tokyo? Arts District? Grand Central Market?

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 06-11-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 06:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Forgot my most boring I've been to. I'd have to say for fairly large cities Tucson and San Jose for sure. For kind of boring medium sized cities, I'd have to put Raleigh up there and a little smaller - Des Moines.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Damn, you missed out. I've been here 5 years and haven't begun to run out of things to do yet. Its the the point where my wife and are forcing ourselves to take weekend trips to other cities because unless we make the effort we just wind up staying in town because there's a always non-stop parade of events to attend.
There are many negative adjectives one could use but boring is about the last one I'd choose to describe Los Angeles (or for any city, really).

While it's a pain for business, the distance between points within the metro is actually part of the city's appeal for leisure. There are seemingly endless points of interest between communities as far apart as Pasadena and Long Beach, or between geographic points of interest from Mt Baldy to Palos Verdes. If you don't get that and never leave your own hood, life is gonna suck.

Last edited by nslander; 06-11-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:

Most boring:

Dallas -- I was there last week. I think.
Ouch !

Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Most Fun: New Orleans, NYC, Miami/Miami Beach

Most Boring: OKC, Dallas, Phoenix, San Jose, Charlotte

Last edited by marcopolo2000; 06-11-2015 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Doesn't Dallas have some nice, shiney skyscrapers to look at though?

Old 06-12-2015, 07:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I'm certain that there isn't a US city with a well known name that I couldn't have fun in. Major city or otherwise. Sure, some cities are more fun than others. However, I've never visited a boring city. I've met some boring people, however.

I've never been to Los Angeles. However, I'm certain that L.A. would wear me out.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Admirable. The internet badge of honor goes to you for sparing all of our feelings from the heartbreak we'd feel had you named the city that entertains you the least. Nothing crushes my spirits more than an anonymous person on the internet saying that my city isn't as fun as theirs (or another city).

But do people really get upset if you list their city as "boring?" My city (Boston) has been mentioned a bit in this thread. I don't care. I love this city and I feel that A) There's plenty here to keep many people entertained and busy and B) Not every city or town is a good fit for everyone. It doesn't bother me that some people find Boston "boring."

To your last point (bolded), I think that's pretty much widely understood in this thread and beyond. We're speaking relatively. "Boring" doesn't mean that there's absolutely nothing to do there. It simply means that in relation to comparably sized cities, there is less that appeals to a certain individual. I listed Dallas and San Jose. I wasn't stuck in my hotel room sighing the whole time I was in either city. It's just that Dallas or San Jose didn't offer all of the types of things that make places like Chicago, San Francisco, New York, etc. so fun to visit. You can at least admit (without naming names) that some cities offer more that suits your ideas of "fun" than others do, right?
I can agree that not all cities fit our criteria for fun. Tourist friendly cities such as Vegas, Miami, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and New Orleans tend to provide instant gratification. Cities that are not touristy such as Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, and Atlanta you tend to have to dig a little deeper for fun things to do, which is what I prefer doing when I visit a city since I hate tourist traps.

I don't even bother with internet city bashers, it is a total waste of time and energy. It is one thing to dislike a city and another thing to be an immature all in out troll.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitydreamer View Post
doesn't dallas have some nice, shiney skyscrapers to look at though?
lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City