Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Chicago
Boston 145 38.56%
Chicago 231 61.44%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times

Advertisements

I'd rather live in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Default How could I describe the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah an ex gf of mine from Chicago was saying how NYC weather is the same as Chicago just a day later, and would give me that same data, and we got into a bunch of arguments about it(this is before I moved to Chicago)... Statistics ...especially averages can be misleading as you don't know where the statistical outliers may factor in.
Chicago has a lot of harsh brutal cold day outliers esp if you live by the lake, but then it probably gets some warmer day variances to...making that average seem pretty close.
I have spent winter in NYC and in Chicago and Chicago is quite a bit harsher weather ... I haven't been in Boston during the winter... but I can imagine the atlantic helps to moderate it somewhat similar to NYC. Where as Chicago gets those brutal cold blasts straight down from the arctic.
Chicago is more capable of plunging into the single-digits, or even below zero, than Boston is. The wind off the ocean has a slight, moderating effect, while the wind coming down from the Provinces, through Minnesota and Wisconson can be almost artic at times.The main difference is snow; the "Downeasters" from the Maritimes and the coast of Maine are full of snow, while the northern midwestern winds are a little drier...

NYC, Boston, WashDC, LA and SF will always attract college graduates, hence they are always quite expensive. All I'm suggesting is that some graduates should consider Chicago, as they just might be suprised by the city's collegiality, and more than a little pleased by the more reasonable cost-of-living. This whole "top of my profession" tack is a little exaggerated; some people simply want to live in a specific city, and aren't interested in chasing a dollar bill all over the country.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
So exactly which professions would someone be prematurely "capped" by staying Chicago.

I'll name a few:
acting
politician (can't be Prez and stay in Chicago!)
IT folks (should be in Silicon Valley)

C'mon sukwoo. First of all most of American corporation re headquartered in NY metro so if you want to advance you will end up in NY some day.
Also, you if you are in journalism, international policy, media, advertising, publishing, performing arts, art you will end up leaving Chicago.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Chicago is more capable of plunging into the single-digits, or even below zero, than Boston is. The wind off the ocean has a slight, moderating effect, while the wind coming down from the Provinces, through Minnesota and Wisconson can be almost artic at times.The main difference is snow; the "Downeasters" from the Maritimes and the coast of Maine are full of snow, while the northern midwestern winds are a little drier...

NYC, Boston, WashDC, LA and SF will always attract college graduates, hence they are always quite expensive. All I'm suggesting is that some graduates should consider Chicago, as they just might be suprised by the city's collegiality, and more than a little pleased by the more reasonable cost-of-living. This whole "top of my profession" tack is a little exaggerated; some people simply want to live in a specific city, and aren't interested in chasing a dollar bill all over the country.
Yes Chicago's night life feels very post college, too much so for my tastes. But, I see where you are going and it could be a good transition city and allow them to save up money, if they want to go to those other cities in the future... Or, they could settle down there and I'm sure many do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
C'mon sukwoo. First of all most of American corporation re headquartered in NY metro so if you want to advance you will end up in NY some day.
Also, you if you are in journalism, international policy, media, advertising, publishing, performing arts, art you will end up leaving Chicago.
took my post... could add IT for many and non for profits, there just aren't enough spots there and room for quick advancement if your good... These are just the industries I am familiar with though...there are several better cities...lots of nfp work in DC/NYC/Boston
couldn't you add banking/finance/insurance to this as well?

Last edited by grapico; 04-13-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM

177 posts, read 479,728 times
Quote:
Yes Chicago's night life feels very post college, too much so for my tastes. But, I see where you are going and it could be a good transition city and allow them to save up money, if they want to go to those other cities in the future... Or, they could settle down there and I'm sure many do.

took my post... could add IT for many and non for profits, there just aren't enough spots there and room for quick advancement if your good... These are just the industries I am familiar with though...there are several better cities...lots of nfp work in DC/NYC/Boston
couldn't you add banking/finance/insurance to this as well?
You seem more and more like a hater trying to disguise yourself as an unbiased person.

'Post college' night life? Are you serious? What is the age group that tends to go out at clubs and bars in your city? 50 Year olds? No they are usually the age group in the early to late 20's or early 30's. Ummm, thats post college age btw. Every city has an age group like this that dominates a portion of their nightlife scene, including NYC, SF, Boston, Miami, LA, anywhere.

Chicago has one of the most diverse economies, if not THE most diverse in the nation. And is up near the top in a number of fields. If that isnt good enough to attract the nations finest, Im not sure what city other than NYC is. And no city is above Chicago in finance/banking than NYC. Look at global city rankings.

Your criticisms are becoming lamer and more contrived. You and dementor are almost one and the same, only you hide your 'haterism' a lot more. I cant believe in one post you even claimed chicago was among your favorite cities, then you will side with an ignoramus liar whose whole purpose on this forum is to belittle one of the nations finest cities. Its pathetic.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
No doubt, there are more fortune 500 headquarters in NYC and the NYC metro area than any other region. But the majority? 50% + 1? Not a chance. I would bet that metro Chicago is second to metro NYC.

Here's a link if anyone want to spend the time and actually count:
Fortune 500 2008: Maps - Top 500

More so than LA, Chicago is considered to be the second most important business city in the US which actually somewhat surprises me given how much larger greater LA is than Chicagoland.

So, I agree that no city comes close to NYC in terms of economic might. But we can't all live in NYC, and a lot of us don't want to. Personally I'd love to live in NYC but I'd need to at least double my income to maintain my standard of living. Does that make me a loser? Probably in your eyes. But given your demonstrated prejudice against Chicago, and frankly your surprising lack of factual knowledge, I don't feel too bad about that.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
You seem more and more like a hater trying to disguise yourself as an unbiased person.

'Post college' night life? Are you serious? What is the age group that tends to go out at clubs and bars in your city? 50 Year olds? No they are usually the age group in the early to late 20's or early 30's. Ummm, thats post college age btw. Every city has an age group like this that dominates a portion of their nightlife scene, including NYC, SF, Boston, Miami, LA, anywhere.

Chicago has one of the most diverse economies, if not THE most diverse in the nation. And is up near the top in a number of fields. If that isnt good enough to attract the nations finest, Im not sure what city other than NYC is. And no city is above Chicago in finance/banking than NYC. Look at global city rankings.

Your criticisms are becoming lamer and more contrived. You and dementor are almost one and the same, only you hide your 'haterism' a lot more. I cant believe in one post you even claimed chicago was among your favorite cities, then you will side with an ignoramus liar whose whole purpose on this forum is to belittle one of the nations finest cities. Its pathetic.
No I mean the bar scene still feels like college, to be specific, definitely more so than Miami/NYC/DC/LA ... for examples.

Wouldn't the finest be elsewhere at the top corps and uni's?

Yes I am being critical, I don't hate Chicago, it is just being critical. Being critical is the only way the city will progress.

Here are main arguments, in attempt to be egalitarian, it has actually hurt Chicago's industries where they are doing good but not excelling as much as it should given the framework. While doing this other cities recognized that it would NEVER catch NYC and have found their own niche's and worked on that. While Chicago tries to compete in everything.
Charlotte isn't ahead of Chicago in finance and banking?

The overall demographics has a more modest mindset coming largely from the midwest, this is noticed in livingm or visiting there for long periods vs. Boston/NYC.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yes I am being critical, I don't hate Chicago, it is just being critical. Being critical is the only way the city will progress. Too bad the politicians there or the general populous doesn't see it that way, it is complacent for the most part.
Being critical is fine. On the Chicago boards, you'll see lots of criticism about corruption, crime, bad schools, etc. The problem on this thread, is that there's a lot of thoughtless bashing from a disdainful, superior than thou perspective. I'm not sure if you're a part of that, because frankly I can't keep track of which arguments/insults are coming from whom.

Just a guess, but I think dementor is a graduate student, early to mid-twenties, who thinks being from NYC gives him a lot more knowledge and wisdom than he actually has. Hasn't really enjoyed his time in Chicago, blames it on the city rather than himself, his graduate program, or whatever. I've met quite a few NYC transplants in Chicago. Most of them love it here. A few hate it and move back eventually. No different than transplants from anywhere else. Its just that those from NYC tend to have a greater sense of entitlement.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Being critical is fine. On the Chicago boards, you'll see lots of criticism about corruption, crime, bad schools, etc. The problem on this thread, is that there's a lot of thoughtless bashing from a disdainful, superior than thou perspective. I'm not sure if you're a part of that, because frankly I can't keep track of which arguments/insults are coming from whom.

Just a guess, but I think dementor is a graduate student, early to mid-twenties, who thinks being from NYC gives him a lot more knowledge and wisdom than he actually has. Hasn't really enjoyed his time in Chicago, blames it on the city rather than himself, his graduate program, or whatever. I've met quite a few NYC transplants in Chicago. Most of them love it here. A few hate it and move back eventually. No different than transplants from anywhere else. Its just that those from NYC tend to have a greater sense of entitlement.
I pushed the limits earlier in the thread to get opinions back if that could be the case. I usually try to keep slander out but let it out a few times on here. It makes a much better case to leave it out.
I do think the politicians and planners have an agenda which have helped Chicago in some aspects, and hurt it in others though.
Chicago also became more white collar later than some of the NE cities as well, so it is a given it could be behind in terms of attitude/sophistication as a % of what is going on there.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I usually try to keep slander out but let it out a few times on here. It makes a much better case to leave it out.
Yeah, the only reason to get inflammatory is if you want to start a flame war. It lessens your credibility and crowds out reasonable debate. I'm waiting for the post where dementor goes all Godwin on us and compares Chicago to Nazi Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City